PDA

View Full Version : I'm on a roll with reading

snowbunnies300
03-14-2011, 01:37 PM
Recently I've been reading more and more books. It's been years since I've read this much. I can't stand what is on TV most nights. I find myself watchig a commercial and then asking myself...what show am I watching? I have to hit the info button to see what I was watching before the commercial. That is down right terrible.

So are in the past couple of weeks I've read:
I still dream about you – Fannie Flagg
A Redbird Christmas – Fannie Flagg
How to Be An American Housewife
Made in the USA – Billie Letts
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter & Sweet – Jamie Ford
The Help - Kathryn Stockett

I currently have "The White Queen" and "The Red Queen" but will be through with them in a couple days -four hours in a waiting room each week certainly helps a person get through a book(s). I have requested the following books from the library and am waiting to get off the long lists:
Those who Save us
When We Were Strangers - by Pamela Schoenewaldt
The Amish Midwife - Starns Clark and Leslie Gould
Sun Flower and the Secret Fan– Lisa See

I don't like sci-fi or fantasy books (vampire etc). I'd like any additional suggestions anyone has on books they've read or want to read. I heard about a few of the ones I've read from a poster here on BBB. Thanks!

rlu
03-14-2011, 02:09 PM
Recent non-scifi/fantasy books I've read and would recommend are

Lady MacBeth' Daughter (YA) - Lisa Klein
A Dog's Purpose - W. Bruce Cameron (rec'd here on BBB)
The Art of Racing in the Rain - Garth Stein (rec'd here)
Unbroken (good but horrifying) - Laura Hillenbrand

I am currently reading Ophelia, also by Lisa Klein and also YA. I have just started so can't really comment on it yet except that my sister recommended this author and she is generally ontarget in terms of my preferences and I did like Lady MacBeth's Daughter.

I love Fannie Flag and given you listed two of hers assume you have the rest of her books on your radar already.