PDA

View Full Version : bunk beds

lil_acorn
03-14-2011, 07:18 PM
We are going to invest in bunk beds for my 3 & 6 yo. For those BTDT:
1. What brand do you recommend
2. Did you do twin on twin or twin on full?
3. Would you recommend having an extra trundle underneath or better to have storage
4. How much did you spend

Any other words of wisdom?

Thanks!

carolinamama
03-14-2011, 08:40 PM
I don't really know what to recommend since ours get delivered tomorrow morning. :) But we were between PBK and Stanley Young America. I would have gone with the YA except that DS1 already has PBK furniture in his room. It has held up decently so we felt okay with PBK. We went with 2 twins because the bedroom isn't huge and we wanted the extra room and option to use the beds as 2 twins. I like the idea of a trundle when they get older but we haven't gotten anything yet as I think they will be set up as 2 twin beds at first and we wouldn't have room.

Now I have a question for you (or anyone else) about bunks. Will you set them up as bunks at first? Will your 3 yo have access to the top bunk? I am thinking we should do 2 twins at first so DS2 doesn't have access to a bunk bed. DS1 already sleeps in one at my parents house sometimes so he's fine but I'm worried about DS2 who will move into that room soon. He'll be 2.5 though, not 3. Sorry to hijack your thread! ;)

crl
03-14-2011, 09:43 PM
We have this

http://www.bergfurniture.com/22_905.asp

Minus the stairs at the end. I like the L shape which means the top bunk still isn't very high--only unto my chest or so. All of DS clothes fit in the dresser and there are two deep shelves on the end as well. It isn't fine furniture exactly, but it is nice enough for a kid's room and very sturdy.

Catherine

WatchingThemGrow
03-14-2011, 10:43 PM
It's funny with all the options for bunks these days. We got a YA twin over full that can also be twin over twin or 2 twins. We did not get the trundle because in order to do that, you have to put the bottom bunk on the hi lock setting. When DH and I tried sitting on the bottom bunks that had trundles under them, we bonked our heads. We decided that we would rather be able for US to sit on the bottom bunk to read with the DC than to have the trundle available. An aerobed can be shoved under there for the same purpose. We have a YA trundle under DD's bed, so in a pinch, we could put all 3 DC in the same bunk system. I can't remember how much we spent (ILs paid :)) but we got it at Furnitureland South in NC which has great prices on stuff, even delivery.

Tondi G
03-15-2011, 01:10 AM
we bought a twin over full bunkbed from Pottery Barn Kids. It ended up being close in price to the independent stores we looked at and the wait time was much shorter. We liked the fact that the full didn't have the little extension piece added to the headboard/footboard so it is a full piece and remains a true full bed if the two are separated in the future. It has been super sturdy and my kids have climbed all over it and hung off the side. I would buy it again.

this is the one we have

http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/kendall-twin-over-full-bunk-bed/?pkey=dbunk-beds

I like that the ladder is on a slant rather than straight up and down. You can easily move the ladder from one end to the other too. Our boys were just over 2 and 6 when we got them. They knew the rule was no messing around on the top bunk ... no standing or rough housing... one person on the ladder at a time etc. No injuries so far and the boys are now almost 6 and almost 10.

o_mom
03-15-2011, 07:51 AM
Now I have a question for you (or anyone else) about bunks. Will you set them up as bunks at first? Will your 3 yo have access to the top bunk? I am thinking we should do 2 twins at first so DS2 doesn't have access to a bunk bed. DS1 already sleeps in one at my parents house sometimes so he's fine but I'm worried about DS2 who will move into that room soon. He'll be 2.5 though, not 3. Sorry to hijack your thread! ;)

We have bunk beds for our older two, but they are set up as twins. I will not bunk them until my youngest is at least 6, maybe older, and possibly never. I just know too many people who have had kids injured, some seriously, on bunk beds. None of them were the kind of incident that could be prevented by rules about who can be on top, no roughhousing, slanted ladders, etc.; they were just kids going up or down the ladder.

ilfaith
03-15-2011, 09:13 AM
My boys share this bed from A.P. Industries
http://www.apindustries.com/en/youth/categories/bunk-beds/cottage-bunk-beds-1000-0897
in the collector's cherry color. We've been happy with it. I want to say we spent about $1,100 on the bed...plus the cost of mattresses.

We purchased the bed when DS1 was 4 and DS2 was going on 2. For the first year and a half the two boys slept together on the full-size bottom bunk. DS1 moved to the top shortly before his fifth birthday. Now I am trying to get DS3 out of our bed to join his brother in the bottom bunk (he never really slept in his crib, which we converted to a toddler bed, but he doesn't sleep there either).

Eventually DS1 will probably take over our guest room, but we like the fact that with the twin over full mattresses the boys can still all share a bed when we do have company. Meanwhile I like having the full-size bottom so there is plenty of room for us to read bedtime stories.

We don't have built-in drawers underneath the bed, but do store toys in plastic bins under it. Never really considered getting a trundle. We've got two Aerobeds.

carolinamama
03-15-2011, 09:32 AM
We have bunk beds for our older two, but they are set up as twins. I will not bunk them until my youngest is at least 6, maybe older, and possibly never. I just know too many people who have had kids injured, some seriously, on bunk beds. None of them were the kind of incident that could be prevented by rules about who can be on top, no roughhousing, slanted ladders, etc.; they were just kids going up or down the ladder.

And that is exactly why I was asking. I can see accidents happening just because DS2 has access to the ladder and higher bed, not because he is sleeping on it or anything.

crl
03-15-2011, 10:14 AM
And that is exactly why I was asking. I can see accidents happening just because DS2 has access to the ladder and higher bed, not because he is sleeping on it or anything.

This is part of the reason I went with the L shaped bed I posted above and no stairs. DS can get to the top bunk easily by climbing onto the lower bunk and using arm strength to get to the top. The baby won't be able to do that for a long time though. The stairs would have made it too easy to get up there, IMO.

Catherine

o_mom
03-15-2011, 10:26 AM

Yes, that's big concern for me. If we didn't have space or some other reason that we really needed them, it would be different, but at this point it would be 'just because' so I'm not comfortable with the risk. Also, all our bedrooms are upstairs, so I would have to ban DS3 from the upstairs if I wasn't up... just a whole extra set of enforcement I don't need in my life. :) I would give up our guest room before bunking them (we bought them on CL to use as twins, they just happen to be bunks).

ABO Mama
03-15-2011, 11:36 AM
My boys have the University Loft (http://www.uloft.com/products/fabric?page=shop.browse&category_id=127) beds. I love them! We have 2 beds set in a low loft position for now, because I like being able to reach them easily. I really like having the option to move the beds up higher, as they get bigger. The beds are solid wood, really well made, sturdy, and assemble w/o hardware. We don't have ladders, so the boys climb up the ends of the bed. Beds can also be set up in the "L" position.

lil_acorn
03-15-2011, 01:59 PM
My boys have the University Loft (http://www.uloft.com/products/fabric?page=shop.browse&category_id=127) beds. I love them! We have 2 beds set in a low loft position for now, because I like being able to reach them easily. I really like having the option to move the beds up higher, as they get bigger. The beds are solid wood, really well made, sturdy, and assemble w/o hardware. We don't have ladders, so the boys climb up the ends of the bed. Beds can also be set up in the "L" position.

I forgot about this brand - I remember this thread a while back. Can I ask how much you spent on them?

And did you get the regular version or the mission style? I'm trying to figure out how the kids get on teh top bunk. The rails go all the way around so you have to climb over them.

minnie-zb
03-15-2011, 02:27 PM
We have this

http://www.bergfurniture.com/22_905.asp

Minus the stairs at the end. I like the L shape which means the top bunk still isn't very high--only unto my chest or so. All of DS clothes fit in the dresser and there are two deep shelves on the end as well. It isn't fine furniture exactly, but it is nice enough for a kid's room and very sturdy.

Catherine

I know it is rude to ask, but could you give me an idea of what you spent? Something like this would be perfect for us.

crl
03-15-2011, 03:13 PM
I know it is rude to ask, but could you give me an idea of what you spent? Something like this would be perfect for us.

I don't mind at all, I just can't remember! It was a couple of years ago and I have no idea. I did buy it online, but I don't even remember where. Sorry. :(

Catherine

ABO Mama
03-15-2011, 07:03 PM
I forgot about this brand - I remember this thread a while back. Can I ask how much you spent on them?

And did you get the regular version or the mission style? I'm trying to figure out how the kids get on teh top bunk. The rails go all the way around so you have to climb over them.

Hmm, we got the beds a couple of years ago, and Grandma split the cost with us, so I'm not sure how much we spent. We did order through a local dealer. We have the regular version, that is a natural wood color. My guys are 7yo, and have no problem climbing into bed. My 4yo sleeps under one of the low lofts (his matress is on the floor), and he also has no problem climbing into the beds.

bnme
03-15-2011, 08:17 PM
We have this loft bed:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Twin-Size-Freedom-Loft-Bed-Frame-Unfinished-Wood-NEW-/140521239163?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b7b7f27b
DH and I assembled and stained it. DH just took it apart and reassembled because e switched the boys rooms. We are very happy with it. The boys were sharing a room and we have a captain's bed underneath (L). Now DS2 has his own room and there are just toys/play space under it.