PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about "The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe the Narnia chronicles"

JustMe
03-14-2011, 11:23 PM
I got a note home that the 2nd graders will be watching this movie as a reward on Friday. I have the choice to let the teachers know if I do not want dd to see it. I am leaning towards not letting her see it, but pls help educate me about this movie. It looks like there is some significant fighting/violence at least in the end and that one thing that happens is that the children have to deal with losing their parents. Dd is not a baby at age 8, but she does scare easily, I am not thrilled about the violence/fighting, and I am not sure how this would be for a child who is adopted and has a lot of fear of losing me (not to mention this being highlighted by the fact that a close friend of mine just died). I meant this is a child, who though Totero was really sad because of the scene when the siblings are separated.

Also, I looked at some of the reviews and saw something about a religous factor in the movie? Please share your opinions.

I do hate to deprive her of having fun with the other 2nd graders, and dont know what they will do with her if I say no (I will ask). Taking her out of school would not be an option due to my work schedule. On the other hand, Spring break is next week, so I promise to let her choose a fun activity in place of this. Advice/opinons, please!

DebbieJ
03-14-2011, 11:36 PM
I have seen this movie and I would not be comfortable with my son watching this at school. There are so many other more kid friendly choices!

The final battle scenes are violent, the movie shows the lion "dying"--he comes back to life, which is where many people see the religious overtones, comparing Aslan (the lion) with Jesus.

I know it's hard to be the only kid in the class NOT watching the movie, so I would probably let my son watch it, but I wouldn't like it. We would talk a lot about it both before and after.

JoyNChrist
03-14-2011, 11:39 PM
C.S. Lewis, who wrote Narnia, was a religious writer, and the books are loosely based on the story of Christ (the lion, Aslan, dies in place of one of the boys, and then comes back to life and defeats the white witch).

I found parts of the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe very creepy (I liked the movie, but it's kind of intense), particularly the part where Aslan is killed. I think it would probably upset your DD.

FWIW, the children are sent away from the their parents because of the war, not because their parents die or anything. Although I'm not sure how clear that would be to an 8yo.

MommyAllison
03-14-2011, 11:58 PM
It's pretty intense for a sensitive child, IMO. The opening sequence shows WW2 bombing of London, and then the kids are sent to the countryside (their parents are both ok, dad is fighting in British military, mom remains in London). The scene where Aslan is killed is scary, I always skip it, even if I'm watching by myself. And then the battle sequences are scary too. My kids have not seen the movie in it's entirety, and I don't know when they will. The books were written for children, but the book is really different from the movie. The battle is not at all described in the book, the London bombings are not described, and I can't recall how much of Aslan's death is explicitly described. The book is kid friendly, but the movie IMO is not. HTH

Smillow
03-14-2011, 11:59 PM
I watched this with my niece & nephew (the whole family, really) who were 6 and 8 at the time & it was so intense that during parts of it, they would run into the bathroom & hide in the tub!!?? This was at their grandparents house with their parents & grandparents & favorite aunt there. They would peek out of the bathroom door to hear if it was "safe" to come back into the living room.

JustMe
03-15-2011, 12:16 AM
Thank you so much everyone! I looked at the reviews, and thought that dd would be way over the top scared but it is good to know (in a weird way) that she would not be extreme in this way.

So, now, if you were me how would you explain this to her. I normally dont mind being the "bad guy", but I do feel bad about this. It sucks not to get the "reward" at school, and as you all know a movie lasts a long time. I already told her when she went to sleep that I was worried the movie might be too scary for her and that I was going to look on-line to do some research about it. I have no problem telling her I think it is too scary, but wonder how much detail I should go into and what to say when she tells me that she won't be scared (although I know she will). It is more than the scare factor, from what others tell me I am not comfortable with the level of violence, losing parents permanently (even though they dont die) is not a theme she should see when I am not watching with her. Not sure how I feel about the religious part, from how it is described I think most of it would go over dd's head so I dont know if I would worry about that.

egoldber
03-15-2011, 06:37 AM
FWIW, my older DD loves this movie now, but she was terrified of it in second grade. I really don't think it is an appropriate movie for second graders.

AngelaS
03-15-2011, 06:59 AM
My kids love it, but I'd read them the book first. :)

jamesmom
03-15-2011, 07:14 AM
I have seen the movie and know my second grader DS would be freaked out by parts of it. Plus he has sensory issues and won't even go into a movie theatre, so we haven't even shown him this movie. Not a good 2nd grade movie, IMO.

TwinFoxes
03-15-2011, 07:26 AM
What an odd choice for a movie for second graders. Does it fit a theme they're studying or something? It just seems like with all of the other age appropriate movies out there, one that's several years old that's kind of scary is a really strange way to go. (I don't think it's weird if people let their own children watch it, but for a school setting where there are varying levels of fright/sensory tolerance, it seems odd).

Maybe enough parents will not give permission and they'll change the movie.

maestramommy
03-15-2011, 09:01 AM
Okay I know I am more conservative than others on viewing, but this movie strikes me as way too old for 2nd graders in general. It's the kind of movie I wouldn't mind my kids watching when they are maybe 3-5 years older. I saw the cartoon when I was a kid and it was nothing like this movie.

Also, when the kids had to get on the train in the beginning I was bawling. I can't imagine how a sensitive little kid would feel watching that......

egoldber
03-15-2011, 09:22 AM
Also, when the kids had to get on the train in the beginning I was bawling. I can't imagine how a sensitive little kid would feel watching that......

Yeah, for the longest time my older DD couldn't even make it past the first 5-10 minutes.

bubbaray
03-15-2011, 09:26 AM
As much as I love the books/movies, I really do not think they are appropriate for 2nd graders.

Am I the only one who really sees no place for movies in the classroom?

Gena
03-15-2011, 09:34 AM
Are you sure the teacher is planning to show the live-action film? There is an animated movie of "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe". It used to run on tv (PBS maybe) when I was a kid and I loved it. It's now available on DVD.

I agree with the PPs that the love-action film is too intense for 2nd graders. However, the animated version is a great intoduction to the classic story and appropriate for that age group.

egoldber
03-15-2011, 09:34 AM
For many reasons I would prefer that only academic (curriculum extending) videos be allowed in the classroom. But they are very popular as classroom rewards and even used sometimes during indoor recess.

MamaMolly
03-15-2011, 09:51 AM
I don't think I'd go into too much detail in explaining it. Sometimes that just makes it a bigger deal than it has to be. I would tell her that parts of the movie are very scary and that she can watch it with you when she's older. IIWY I'd ask the teacher what the plan is for the kids who won't be seeing the movie. She ought to have one, even if it is just for your DD. ;)

As for the reward, why not suggest a few alternatives for your DD to pick from. Perhaps you guys could do a 'movie night' with he choice of movie at home? (to keep it similar) or going to a park, or cooking something together. Maybe she could invite a friend for a play date?

brittone2
03-15-2011, 10:16 AM
My 7yo is still kind of easily scared of far less intense movies than this one. We would have to pass I think.

JustMe
03-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Thank you everyone! I am glad to know I am not the only one who thought this was an inappropriate choice. As I said I have a very senstive dd and I tend to be on the let kids stay kids and I dont like my kids watching violence, so I thought I might have been way out there. No, I dont think this fits in with any theme they are studying. I have no idea why they chose this movie.

Yes, I am with those of you who don't think any movies that dont have an educational purpose (and I mean that loosely as I think there are lots of things/ways kids can learn at school) should be part of school for many reasons. I am trying not to focus on that because its really not a battle I can afford to pick right now.

vonfirmath
03-15-2011, 11:23 AM
I read the books as a 2nd grader. Maybe that is where it is coming from?

Our 3 year old has seen the first movie. He gets uninterested in parts -- but has not seemed excessively scared at anything. He likes the animals!

MommyAllison
03-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Are you sure the teacher is planning to show the live-action film? There is an animated movie of "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe". It used to run on tv (PBS maybe) when I was a kid and I loved it. It's now available on DVD.

That's true, there are older versions. My info was for the most recent, live-action movie (w/Tilda Swinton, James McAvoy, etc).

sunriseiz
03-15-2011, 02:50 PM
I think the movie is great, but DD (who has read the book) won't be seeing the movie until she is probably at least 9 or 10. I agree that most of the time movies have no place in the classroom unless there is something related to the curriculum. That said, why don't you approach the teacher with an alternative or two that you think are appropriate? I'd be that you are not the only parent that feels this way.

JustMe
03-15-2011, 04:28 PM
. That said, why don't you approach the teacher with an alternative or two that you think are appropriate? I'd be that you are not the only parent that feels this way.

Sadly, I would bet that I am the only parent who feels this way. For reasons I won't go into the parents at this school seem to pretty much accept what the teachers decide. I have many, many times been the only parent to complain and it makes me look bad. So for this and other reasons, I don't want to fight this battle. Plus, this note (thank goodness they actuallly let us know this time, I dont always get told when something like this is going to happen) went to all 2nd grade parents...that's 3 classes full of children/parents. I',m betting no one (or almost no one) else complains. If they do, I'm sure they woudl change the activity.

As far as the new version vs the old version, It really looks like the new one, but I am not going to bother to figure that out...having not seen it myself, its not really worth the chance based on what most have said here.

Melaine
03-15-2011, 04:34 PM
As much as I love the books/movies, I really do not think they are appropriate for 2nd graders.

Am I the only one who really sees no place for movies in the classroom?

:yeahthat: I'm a huge fan of the books and movies, but I wouldn't be ok with them at that age. And a movie for a reward? That would really frustrate me.

janeybwild
03-15-2011, 04:35 PM
My 2nd grade DD saw all 3 movies and was not scared. She had read all the books. My kinde DD has seen the first one, also not scared.

MelissaTC
03-15-2011, 07:19 PM
My DS has seen it and it is one of his favorite movies. Having said that, he isn't particularly sensitive to fantasty movies. It is his favorite genre.

I find it odd that the teacher picked this movie to show the children. In M's class, they only show rated G movies. When they recently watched "Charlotte's Web", they watched the old school cartoon version that I saw as a kid.

mom_hanna
03-15-2011, 08:00 PM
Hmmm...I guess we're in the minority. My dd saw this at age 4 and LOVED it. We actually finally bought it because we had it from Netflix for 5 months. ds started watching it at 3, and although a lot of it was probably over his head, he was not scared by anything in it. We also have since bought Prince Caspian, and they both saw the Voyage of the Dawn Treader in the theatre. Regarding the religious aspect, I don't think many kids that age will even catch on that there are Christian parallels. It is not ever stated anywhere, more as the pp said, C.S. Lewis was a religious writer and most of his fiction has religious overtones. All that said, if you think it is not appropriate for your dd, then by all means, do not have her watch it at school. You know what is best for your child.

fedoragirl
03-15-2011, 08:47 PM
I have a problem with movies being a reward. What are books then? Punishment?

DrSally
03-15-2011, 09:06 PM
I think it's an intense movie for a 2nd grader. I don't think they'd get the allegorical meanings.