PDA

View Full Version : Would you call the doc?

khalloc
03-15-2011, 02:12 PM
DS is almost 3. He has had a cold since 2 weekends ago, so just over a week now. Julst a regular cold. 3 days in he did have a barking cough, but he has cold-induced asthma. so I hit him with his nebulizer for 1.5 days and put the humidifier in his room and his cow was better after just a day or 2. But now he does still have a runny nose.

So he didn't eat all day Monday (yesterday). His daycare teacher told me he was not himself. Very lethargic, saying he was tired, etc. But he had no fever. So I get him home last night and he perked up a bit playing with his older sister. but did not eat at all. He did drink juice.

He slept 10.5 hours last night and I had to wake him this morning and he was very tired. Crawled to the bottom of his bed and fell back asleep. When finally managed to wake Jim he did ask what was for breakfast. he said he was cold laid on the couch and covered with a blanket. I fed him his waffle for breakfast and he ate it all. I brought him to daycare, thinking he was better. But told them to call me to let me know how he was. so they call me at about 10:30 saying he snt really very active like he normally is. Didn't want to do anything still. He was saying he was tired, didnt eat much morning snack. So I decide to pick him up early. I get him home and he is acting fine. He ate some tortilla chips, had a slice of cheese. tried to get him to take a nap, but he stayed upstairs in his room playing for about an hour. I think he's finally sleeping.

Yesterday he did say his head hurt. today he says it doesn't. could he have an ear infection? Not sure if I should call the doc since there is no fever and he seems OK to me. bt then also acting very tired at times.

Tondi G
03-15-2011, 04:05 PM
if he is still congested then he could have a sinus infection or ear infection.... those can both make them feel lethargic and not their normal selves. It could also just be a lingering virus that has him going through ups and downs with his appetite and energy.

SnuggleBuggles
03-15-2011, 04:24 PM
I'd call. You know something is off and that intuition should be listened to. They might just say to keep an eye on things and call back/ come in if X happens but it'd be worth calling.

Hope he feels better!!
Beth

AustenFan
03-15-2011, 04:27 PM
DD was acting really strange for a few weeks there and after 9 days I finally gave in and called the Dr, who said to bring her in. She didn't have an ear infection (which I'd feared) and she said it looks like she's finally getting over her virus, but I'm glad I took her in because it gave me peace of mind! I'd at least call and talk to a nurse if I were you. Hope everyone is feeling better soon!

boilermakermom
03-15-2011, 04:44 PM
I would call and at least talk to the nurses. They usually know what is going around, and can tell you if he needs to be seen, things to watch for, etc.

geochick
03-15-2011, 04:55 PM
My 7yo was kind of like this for a few weeks. He didn't have a fever, so I wasn't too concerned, but the ongoing nature made me a little worried. Then his school started sending home notices that several kids in his class have been diagnosed with strep. I decided to take my kid in, and sure enough, he has strep...and NO fever. Odd. He doesn't even have a sort throat. If your mommy radar is going off, take him in.

khalloc
03-16-2011, 09:30 AM
Well I called and made an appointment for today. I might cancel if he is doing better. I did bring him to daycare today because he was acting fine. He's still not eating that much though. But he's running around and acting goofy like usual.

Our pediatrician is a single doctor in a private practice. So there is no nurse to speak to, just a receptionist. I went over his symptoms with her and she suggested an appointment today and that I can cancel if he is feeling better. I'm going to call the daycare around lunchtime to see how he is doing.

KpbS
03-16-2011, 09:35 AM
I'd take him in for a strep test and ear check.