PDA

View Full Version : Help with 3 across in a Pilot

GirlsforShannon
03-15-2011, 02:47 PM
My almost 7 yo has been in a Marathon (center position) that is expiring this month. I have 3 yo twins in RN on either side of her in a 2004 Pilot. Should I put her in a booster between the RN? Is that safe with the center seatbelt that hangs from the ceiling and does not ratchet? Should I move one of the RN in the center instead? The fact that the center seatbelt is not ratcheting is concerning to me. Is it supposed to ratchet? Thank you for your help.

rin
03-15-2011, 02:51 PM
Huh, that doesn't sound right. I have a 2004 CRV, and the center belt definitely ratchets. Did yours used to ratchet? If it doesn't, and your manual indicates that's normal, than yeah, I think you should move one of the RNs into the center position since you can use the locking clip.

In any case, though, I imagine it might be easier for your 7 year old to buckle herself in one of the outboard positions (since you're talking about a belt-positioning booster, right?), just because she'd have a little more room to maneuver.

Joolsplus2
03-15-2011, 03:08 PM
What year Pilot? I thought in the older ones they have a lapbelt with a locking latchplate, and then you just hook the non-ratcheting shoulderbelt into it? In which case, it's still fine for a booster, but it's going to be rather difficult for her to buckle, and you may just go ahead and put her outboard in a booster, though I'm not sure I know what will work easiest next to a Radian in the center.

If it's a one piece belt hanging from the ceiling that you buckle in twice, then it SHOULD definitely ratchet, maybe you aren't pulling it all the way out?

GirlsforShannon
03-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Okay, I did just re-try to ratcheting and I hadn't pulled far enough, so it does ratchet. There is so much belt. Are kids in boosters always supposed to pull the belt until it ratchets?

I think she will have a hard time buckling in the center position. I am used to the LATCH for the RN's. I guess I need to learn to install one of them with the belt.

Thanks.

Joolsplus2
03-15-2011, 06:59 PM
No, kids in boosters don't have to lock the belt... they *can* if it's more comfortable, for naps, to get used to being in a booster, or as a punishment (or mere threat ;)) for leaning out of position, but otherwise, just think of it as using the seatbelt the same way you would, as an adult.
Parkway SGL *might* work, especially if it's not LATCHed in, or Evenflo Big Kid Sport, it's not got the most sturdy headrest, but the armrests are high and it might be easy to buckle next to a Radian in the middle. You're lucky you got to keep all three harnessed so long! Boosters are such a pain...

GirlsforShannon
03-15-2011, 08:30 PM
Thank you Julie. I will look into those boosters.