PDA

View Full Version : Random questions about Maclarens and the G-Luxe

bkickie
03-16-2011, 11:09 AM
Hi all,

I posted yesterday wondering if there is such a thing as an umbrella that's great for both indoors and out. I took DS to BRU with me yesterday to try some strollers out and I realized the most important thing I need right now is a very lightweight stroller--14 lbs or less--for running errands and trips to the mall, etc. I am no longer concerned about how great it does outdoors, although one that handles short walks well would be wonderful.

I have narrowed it down to the Maclaren Triumph, Maclaren Quest, and the G-Luxe. I have not tried out the Quest or G-Luxe yet and I have a few questions I was hoping you all could help me with:

1. On the Quest, do you find the peekaboo window to be helpful or hurtful? I like being able to see my son but wonder about the sunlight streaming through it.

2. Also on the Quest, is the extendable leg rest a big plus? I liked it on other models I looked at (Cybex Onyx and M&P Tour) but don't know whether it's a dealbreaker for me or not. The seat depth on the Triumph just seemed so skimpy to me that I'm wondering if the leg rest helps with comfort.

3. On the 2011 G-Luxe, is that piece of fabric around the buckle removeable? Do you have to mess with it every time you buckle the child in? I have only seen pics of the G-Luxe so far so it's hard to tell.

4. Also on the G-Luxe, is the fabric machine washable? The stroller I use now has a sweat stain on the fabric so I'd like something that can get those out. DS gets really sweaty in the summer!

TIA for your responses!

rin
03-16-2011, 11:53 AM
Can't help with any of the G-luxe questions, but as for the Macs:

I used to have a Mac Quest. I did not find the peek-a-boo window to be helpful or harmful, frankly. I sort of just thought it was pointless: weirdly placed and I generally just ended up peering around the canopy to see my DD anyways. I also found that my DD slouched a bit in the Quest seat, and that she didn't really seem to care about the footrest.

I got rid of my Quest for a Triumph. I am much happier with the Triumph because (a) it's lighter and (b) the recline mechanism allows for easier access to the basket and can be done one-handed. As far as I could tell, the recline depth on the Quest and the Triumph is identical, just a different mechanism. The added features of the Quest didn't seem to matter much for me or my DD. The seat depth on the Triumph is fine for us, although my DD's still young (10 months, 31 inches tall, 21 lbs) so that may change. However, I've seen much older kids riding in Triumphs, so I'm not too concerned.

bkickie
03-17-2011, 08:19 PM
Thank you, Rin! Can anyone comment on the G-Luxe?

Multimama
03-17-2011, 08:50 PM
Sorry. I don't know any of the answers, but have you tried watching the Baby Gizmo video for the G-luxe? It seems like she often covers things like whether the buckle padding is sewn on etc.

poohbear
03-17-2011, 09:06 PM
Can't help with any of the G-luxe questions, but as for the Macs:

I used to have a Mac Quest. I did not find the peek-a-boo window to be helpful or harmful, frankly. I sort of just thought it was pointless: weirdly placed and I generally just ended up peering around the canopy to see my DD anyways. I also found that my DD slouched a bit in the Quest seat, and that she didn't really seem to care about the footrest.

I got rid of my Quest for a Triumph. I am much happier with the Triumph because (a) it's lighter and (b) the recline mechanism allows for easier access to the basket and can be done one-handed. As far as I could tell, the recline depth on the Quest and the Triumph is identical, just a different mechanism. The added features of the Quest didn't seem to matter much for me or my DD. The seat depth on the Triumph is fine for us, although my DD's still young (10 months, 31 inches tall, 21 lbs) so that may change. However, I've seen much older kids riding in Triumphs, so I'm not too concerned.

:yeahthat: ITA completely (I have a window on my Ryder and a legrest - never use either. I also prefer the recline mechanism on the triumph). Would go over the triumph over the quest in a heartbeat (unless I had a 4 month old baby or found a really cheap quest - I wouldn't spend an extra $50 on a quest over a triumph though). DS is almost 2 and seat depth is not a problem at all...

ahrimie
03-17-2011, 10:14 PM
I have the 2011 G Luxe. I really really like it. I've only had Bugaboos so I was worried I'd hate it but with an older toddler, I just really wanted a super lightweight stroller. It does just fine outdoors; I can even use just one hand with a 30 lb toddler. Coming from a Bugaboo owner, I think that's pretty good. Not too tippy either.

But to answer your Q's :P
I don't know that the fabric around the buckle is removable and it's in the car so I can't check for you. But it doesn't bother me at all. It doesn't flap over automatically it doesn't "close" up.

And yes, the colored fabric is removable and machine-washable. It velcroes to the back piece but stays put really well too.

I tried the Mac Quest and Triumph at the store and didn't love those so I ended up buying the G Luxe based on reviews here. It was a gamble but I did pretty good ;)

Hope it helps!

Jelly Bean
03-18-2011, 03:53 PM
I have the 2011 G Luxe. I really really like it. I've only had Bugaboos so I was worried I'd hate it but with an older toddler, I just really wanted a super lightweight stroller. It does just fine outdoors; I can even use just one hand with a 30 lb toddler. Coming from a Bugaboo owner, I think that's pretty good. Not too tippy either.

But to answer your Q's :P
I don't know that the fabric around the buckle is removable and it's in the car so I can't check for you. But it doesn't bother me at all. It doesn't flap over automatically it doesn't "close" up.

And yes, the colored fabric is removable and machine-washable. It velcroes to the back piece but stays put really well too.

I tried the Mac Quest and Triumph at the store and didn't love those so I ended up buying the G Luxe based on reviews here. It was a gamble but I did pretty good ;)

Hope it helps!

:yeahthat:

I have the G-Luxe 2011 too and agree with these points.