PDA

View Full Version : Navigating the airport and flight with a 15 month old!

jlynn32
03-16-2011, 11:18 AM
We are traveling to Florida at the end of April to visit my grandparents! Yay!! This will be the first time we are bringing DS on a plane and I'm prepared for the worst! LOL (that way if it's not....I'll be pleasently surprised!) I am at a loss for good tips on traveling with a 15 month old! I have a few questions.

1. How can I simplify the airport process? ie.check in, security, getting on plane, etc

2. What should I bring on the plane for entertainment, food, etc?

3. He's on milk, can I bring that with me in a cup or do I have to purchase it after security? Can I bring his empty cup through security?

We are bringing his stroller and car seat and plan on gate checking those.

If you ladies have any websites that have great tips, I would love to check those out too. I know I'm overthinking, but I want to be prepared as possible. The more prepared we are to travel; the less stressed my DH gets. ;) Thanks. :)

larig
03-16-2011, 12:34 PM
I found that what was most important for my sanity was to take as little through security as possible. I checked everything I could when DS was still flying as a lap baby and carried him in the ergo. (I had a stroller bag and a bag for the car seat--both padded). I took empty cups. You can buy milk after you get through security, so I think that's what I'd plan to do. ETA: the usual recs are for you to use the stroller to carry the car seat, so you just push them both through the airport--I don't do this, so other moms and dads can speak to this. ETA2: one reason I chose to do this over try to get it through was that it was one more thing that I didn't have to remember to take out of my bag and have checked by TSA. My DS is a handful in security line--super impatient.

don't put shoes or a jacket on your DS (you'll have to take them off), don't you wear a belt or jacket and wear slip-on shoes--all the things that normally slow you down going through security are even worse with a squirmy toddler. Look for the family lines, where people should be more patient.

I take a ton of different snacks in those tiny snack ziplocks--cheerios, little crackers, little cookies, ... I went to TJMaxx and picked up a bunch of 3.99 board books for DS and took a few of his favorites (he loved dr. seuss ABC at the time). I took a big white tea towel--good for hide and seek and other games and good for a make-shift bib, etc. I also had some baby apps on my iphone for him. There's one that is a rattle, etc.

Another BBB mom recommended to take a change of clothes for both you and DC, in case you get spit-up on, tinkled on, etc.

Oh, and first thing you do when you get on the plane--ask which bathroom(s) (if any) have/has a changing table. You'd be surprised how many just don't.

Are you traveling alone or with DH (I assume with DH)? If alone, sometimes you can get someone to help you through security. I have been able to about half the time when I've flown alone. It never hurts to ask. Usually DH or my mom will help me with my stuff and DS through security (if the airlines let me have help). When DH and I fly together with DS it seems like a cakewalk in comparison to flying alone (which is totally manageable too).

Look for family bathrooms. Many have a little seat you can strap your DC in while you yourself go, so they aren't wandering around the airport bathrooms.

weech
03-16-2011, 02:34 PM
Oh, and first thing you do when you get on the plane--ask which bathroom (if any) have a changing table. You'd be surprised how many just don't.

:yeahthat: It has never failed that DS has a dirty diaper on the plane, and I've yet to find a plane with a changing table. I tend to take a lot of disposable changing pads with me!

Smillow
03-16-2011, 02:43 PM
:yeahthat: It has never failed that DS has a dirty diaper on the plane, and I've yet to find a plane with a changing table. I tend to take a lot of disposable changing pads with me!

Southwest has a changing table thing in at least some of their planes in the front lavatory.

weech
03-16-2011, 03:33 PM
Southwest has a changing table thing in at least some of their planes in the front lavatory.

Ah... of course they have them on the airline DH hates! Thanks for the info :)

MomToOne
03-16-2011, 07:42 PM
I've always brought a bottle of milk with me and never had to dump it. Last time I brought a bottle of milk and 2 sippy cups full of water through. Got a pass one way, had the water strip-tested the other way - no big deal.

Slip on shoes for everybody. DVDs for the plane if possible. Try to have the baby drinking something on take off so s/he is swallowing - helps with the ears.

jlynn32
03-17-2011, 09:01 AM
I found that what was most important for my sanity was to take as little through security as possible. I checked everything I could when DS was still flying as a lap baby and carried him in the ergo. (I had a stroller bag and a bag for the car seat--both padded). I took empty cups. You can buy milk after you get through security, so I think that's what I'd plan to do. ETA: the usual recs are for you to use the stroller to carry the car seat, so you just push them both through the airport--I don't do this, so other moms and dads can speak to this. ETA2: one reason I chose to do this over try to get it through was that it was one more thing that I didn't have to remember to take out of my bag and have checked by TSA. My DS is a handful in security line--super impatient.

don't put shoes or a jacket on your DS (you'll have to take them off), don't you wear a belt or jacket and wear slip-on shoes--all the things that normally slow you down going through security are even worse with a squirmy toddler. Look for the family lines, where people should be more patient.

I take a ton of different snacks in those tiny snack ziplocks--cheerios, little crackers, little cookies, ... I went to TJMaxx and picked up a bunch of 3.99 board books for DS and took a few of his favorites (he loved dr. seuss ABC at the time). I took a big white tea towel--good for hide and seek and other games and good for a make-shift bib, etc. I also had some baby apps on my iphone for him. There's one that is a rattle, etc.

Another BBB mom recommended to take a change of clothes for both you and DC, in case you get spit-up on, tinkled on, etc.

Oh, and first thing you do when you get on the plane--ask which bathroom(s) (if any) have/has a changing table. You'd be surprised how many just don't.

Are you traveling alone or with DH (I assume with DH)? If alone, sometimes you can get someone to help you through security. I have been able to about half the time when I've flown alone. It never hurts to ask. Usually DH or my mom will help me with my stuff and DS through security (if the airlines let me have help). When DH and I fly together with DS it seems like a cakewalk in comparison to flying alone (which is totally manageable too).

Look for family bathrooms. Many have a little seat you can strap your DC in while you yourself go, so they aren't wandering around the airport bathrooms.

Thank you for all the great tips. DH is indeed coming with..thank goodness!!

DS has never been good in a carrier, so we are going to gate check the stroller so we can use it. What a great tip about the shoes/jackets for DS; I wouldn't have even thought about that! :) A change of clothes for me is also something I wouldn't have thought about. Thanks again for all the info. I really appreciate it.

mommytoC
03-21-2011, 09:54 PM
We push the baby/toddler in the stroller, and carry the carseat with this:

http://www.amazon.com/Cheeky-Monkey-Designs-9277-Back/dp/B000GIBYQ0

I pack everything else we'll need on the plane (snacks, more snacks, even more snacks, cups, books, coloring books, diapers/wipes, extra clothes for kids/shirt for me, money, id, cell phone, camera, and the rest of our diaper bag stuff) in a huge LLBean tote.

For our Florida trips, we've taken one additional carry-on (a small rolling suitcase or backpack) with warm weather clothes, sandals, swimsuits, hats and sunglasses.

HTH!

mom2binsd
03-21-2011, 11:09 PM
When you get to the gate and they'd dealt with all the major issues...nicely ask if there's any chance an empty seat will remain for you to bring baby's carseat on....who cares if it's at the back....

Practice changing a wet diaper in your lap, it's pretty easy, a poopy one is more difficult, always hit the restroom right before you board, for both baby and mommy!

Like others said, put the carseat on top of the stroller, if you can get it secured, put baby in the carseat on the stroller.

You may get an empty seat and get to bring your seat onboard which will increase the pleasure factor of your flight, I can't imagine holding a 15 month old on a flight, I always had a ticket.

If you do get to bring your seat onboard, install as you would in the car, which I'm sure is rearfacing, which is perfectly acceptable according to FAA guidelines and makes it easier for baby to see you, for you to amuse and feed baby. Yes the person in front can't recline, but there are other times when people can't recline, I've had many seats that are broken, if the person in front makes a fuss offer to buy them a drink, nobody has the "right" to recline, and unless it's a redeye I wouldn't worry about it.

Wear slip on shoes if you can, no jacket, no belt, use a backpack diaper bag if you can.

Yes, extra clothes for you and baby.

Cheerios, other snacks in snack size ziplocs.

I'd just buy milk on the other side of security.

Tinkerbell313
03-22-2011, 10:05 AM

Jetblue also has changing tables in their bathrooms.