PDA

View Full Version : Recs for Non-CIO Sleep-Training Resources

lizzywednesday
03-16-2011, 02:44 PM
ESPECIALLY resources DHs are inclined to read/follow.

I've been trying to transition DD out of our bed since she was about 4 months old. She slept in her crib or a bassinet from 3 months 'til about 6 months, when she got her first major cold and had trouble breathing, so increased night wakings.

After the cold cleared, I tried to transition her back to her crib, but at EVERY cry, if DH is on soothe-duty, he goes in, says "hi little girl" and she giggles, pulls herself up and won't soothe ... so he picks her up and brings her back to our bed.

And then complains that he's not getting any sleep because she's in our bed and he's afraid of rolling over on her or whatever.

SO ... how does one get one's DH on board with sleep-training? He doesn't seem to understand that talking to her completely destroys the point of sending him in to soothe her ... and giving up after 2 seconds, picking her up and taking her back to me is just reinforcing that, yes, OK, kid, you belong in our bed.

He's also complained that I don't pay attention to his needs (I could have the same complaint) but I don't see how I can with a baby in our bed.

The other wrinkle is we can't do anything resembling CIO because of the stress that crying puts on DD's heart (she has a CHD that was corrected at birth & is doing well so far, but we're cautious about her crying) and she SCREAMS bloody murder if she wakes in the night.

She does STTN and she is capable of self-soothing, but I feel like DH is sabotaging my efforts and leaving it to me to do the sleep-training research.

HELP! Generally, I don't mind having her in our bed, but I do mind having a crabby DH.