PDA

View Full Version : How much sleep for a 1 year old?

Pinky
03-16-2011, 03:40 PM
How much sleep is recommended for a 1 year old? Our LO sleeps around 12 hours each night and then still takes 2 naps during the day. The naps are anywhere from 1-2 hours each. Just wondering at what age the start sleeping less or if this pattern will continue for a while.

WolfpackMom
03-16-2011, 03:43 PM
I just wanted to say I am 150% jealous. DS sleeps about 9-10 hours a night and then naps 45 mins-1.5 hrs once a day.
He is a terrible sleeper, especially terrible napper. :(

Enjoy this while you can! I am running on 4.5 hrs sleep today after last night's fun with DS...

Pinky
03-16-2011, 03:52 PM
I just wanted to say I am 150% jealous. DS sleeps about 9-10 hours a night and then naps 45 mins-1.5 hrs once a day.
He is a terrible sleeper, especially terrible napper. :(

Enjoy this while you can! I am running on 4.5 hrs sleep today after last night's fun with DS...

Was he always a terrible sleeper or has it gotten worse since he's gotten older? We've been so lucky with her sleeping this much but honestly sometimes I wonder if it's too much. The doctor says she's fine and it's just what she needs so we just roll with it. I suspect our next kiddo (if we're blessed with one) will be the opposite. Certainly makes being a mommy harder when there is sleep deprivation involved.:hug:

ashleybama24
03-20-2011, 09:51 PM
Just wondering at what age the start sleeping less or if this pattern will continue for a while.

Babies usually drop down to 1 nap (1.5-3 hrs) by 18 months. Every child I know that is in daycare is switched to 1 nap a day at 1 yr which I think is a little drastic because they usually aren't ready. My 16 mo old still needs 2 naps a day. Some days he refuses the second nap but the next day he ends up sleeping more to make up for the lost sleep. Now that he is running and getting molars there are days he takes 2, 2 hr naps and I have no idea what to do with all the time on my hands.

Pinky
03-22-2011, 11:32 AM
Babies usually drop down to 1 nap (1.5-3 hrs) by 18 months. Every child I know that is in daycare is switched to 1 nap a day at 1 yr which I think is a little drastic because they usually aren't ready. My 16 mo old still needs 2 naps a day. Some days he refuses the second nap but the next day he ends up sleeping more to make up for the lost sleep. Now that he is running and getting molars there are days he takes 2, 2 hr naps and I have no idea what to do with all the time on my hands.

She goes to daycare part-time and I've noticed that some of the babies in her class have dropped down to 1 nap a day... I'm going to make sure they keep doing 2 with her for as long as it seems like she needs them. Even if they are shorter there at daycare.

How long does your LO sleep at night? She sleeps 12-13 hours and sometimes I wonder if that's too long, even though I know it's not... it seems like all my friends kiddos sleep much less.

ashleybama24
03-22-2011, 04:19 PM
She goes to daycare part-time and I've noticed that some of the babies in her class have dropped down to 1 nap a day... I'm going to make sure they keep doing 2 with her for as long as it seems like she needs them. Even if they are shorter there at daycare.

How long does your LO sleep at night? She sleeps 12-13 hours and sometimes I wonder if that's too long, even though I know it's not... it seems like all my friends kiddos sleep much less.

He usually sleeps about 11.5 hrs at night. I know he would sleep longer but he hears my husband get up in the morning walking around on the wood floors or turning on the shower. But as soon as he has had milk and breakfast he is ready for that morning nap. Most babies I know sleep around 12 hours so I wouldn't worry. I attempted to switch my son to 1 nap about a month ago which was just an epic failure. I keep reminding myself he will do it when he is ready!