PDA

View Full Version : Does this stroller exist (for 3 yo and newborn)?

Minnifer
03-16-2011, 03:48 PM
I'm not sure it does (after reading lots of threads/posts here) but I thought I’d turn to the experts :D

DD will have turned 3 the month before DS arrives. We live in NYC and walk almost everywhere and I’m looking for a new stroller that is good on tough/bumpy city streets and sidewalks (and occasionally grass/cobblestones). This would NOT be for use on public transportation or need to be carried up stairs, but I’d still prefer it not to be absolutely huge or super heavy. I expect DD will mostly walk or ride a stroller board, but I was hoping (praying, lol!) not to have to completely forgo a 2nd seat for containment purposes on errands or long outings.

She is pretty tall (38”) and around 31.5 lbs. For her I mostly used our 2008 Vista, but I am finding it lately to be a bit of a tough push given her size, so I was hoping not to go the route of a 2010/11 Vista + board (plus she's already almost at the rumble seat weight limit).

Wish list would be:

- Reversible seat for the infant, including over 3 months (so not just a carrycot option)
- Inline (second seat attachment ok) so I can fit into stores, etc.
- Air tires would be great (see above re pushing my Vista!)
- Can take a board that won’t eat up too much space - I’m tall and have a long stride (for example, I kick the back of Macs)

I was originally contemplating the new MB+one (if it came out in time) or a Valco quad w/toddler seat (and board), but have been thinking about how much I liked having a younger baby face me. I also considered the Phil & Teds and B-Ready, but had that same issue w/lack of reversibility plus I really don’t like the idea of the young baby being down so close to the ground.

I don’t want to say “money is no object” but if there is something that would really fit the bill I’d consider it. But it seems like I’m going to have to forgo either the reversibility or the air tires. Just wondering if I’m missing another alternative. Thanks!! :)

spannaz
03-16-2011, 04:28 PM
I feel like i'm constantly plugging this stroller:ROTFLMAO:, but what about Bumbleride Queen B with toddler seat attachment? It has 4 large air-filled tires with suspension, but the front wheels only pivot (don't swivel). It's a beautiful stroller whose seat can turn into a bassinet, or reverse to face mom... Good luck!

ETA: Just thought i'd pass this along too: http://www.ratedbymom.com/2010/04/spotlight-product-review-bumbleride-queen-b-2010/

You can see from the little pictures, that this stroller will also accept the toddler seat in reverse mode.

roseyloxs
03-16-2011, 05:02 PM
I like the Queen B suggestion. Otherwise can you use the Vista with piggyback option for your everyday use. Then buy a double to only use on your longer outings and forgo the reversible option?

legaleagle
03-16-2011, 05:28 PM
If price is no object, there's always the bugaboo donkey....

newg
03-16-2011, 10:09 PM
http://www.britaxusa.com/strollers/b-ready-configurations
http://www.babyjogger.com/city_select_dtl.aspx

what about one of these? I'm not sure about the tires though.......

roseyloxs
03-16-2011, 11:16 PM
Definitely the b-ready over the bjcsd based on reviews here. Strollerqueen and Baby Gizmo have reviewed the B-ready so I would google for those.

MamaBear
03-17-2011, 01:43 AM

:yeahthat:

:wink2:

rin
03-17-2011, 02:12 AM

But the Donkey isn't an inline, which is one of the OP's requests, right?

(I'm following this thread with great interest, since these are basically my dream specs too. I REALLY want to get a reversible air tire stroller, but the only way in the world I would be able to convince my DH is if I can argue that it would be useful if/when we have DC2, so it would have to be something with a rumble seat/jump seat.)

The Queen B looks pretty awesome, but hasn't it gotten some less than stellar reviews on the push? I'm also not crazy about the toddler seat on the Queen B: it just doesn't look all that comfy for longer outings.

Why not the Britax B-ready? You could always just keep the smaller baby in the main seat so s/he wasn't so low to the ground in the add-on seat. It doesn't have air tires, but if that's not as important it seems to have everything else on the list.

roseyloxs
03-17-2011, 02:23 AM
The Queen B looks pretty awesome, but hasn't it gotten some less than stellar reviews on the push? I'm also not crazy about the toddler seat on the Queen B: it just doesn't look all that comfy for longer outings.

Where? I have only heard great things about the queen b. Obviously its not for everyone since its a more traditional type pram but for the OPs criteria it seems to fit.

rin
03-17-2011, 02:51 AM
Where? I have only heard great things about the queen b. Obviously its not for everyone since its a more traditional type pram but for the OPs criteria it seems to fit.

I've heard great things about the Queen B too. I'm just not sure, if push is important, that it would necessarily be better than a Vista. I do see, though, that diapers.com has some 2009s in stock, so you could always order it and try it out, and then return it if it wasn't for you. My impression is based totally on reviews I've seen, and I have absolutely no personal experience with the Queen B, so if someone else knows better please do correct me! (Actually, that would be great because then I could start dreaming about the Queen B myself. :))

Here's a couple reviews that are making me leery of the handling:

http://www.zrecommends.com/detail/the-bumbleride-queen-b-packing-value-in-a-premium-stroller/

http://www.ratedbymom.com/2010/04/spotlight-product-review-bumbleride-queen-b-2010/

meggswife
03-17-2011, 03:18 AM
Let me jump right in! :) I bought a Queen B recently and I L-O-V-E it! I bought it mainly for taking long strolls on country roads where we live, and it's perfect for that. I owned a Vista (2009) and the Queen B is a dream to push! The bouncy suspension takes a teensy bit of getting used to, (I had never pushed a pram before), but the little guys love to ride in it and I'm used to it now.

This past weekend, I took it to a ladies retreat. I had to maneuver some tight areas, but it was great. You just have to realize that you need to push down on the handle bar and pivot on the wheels to turn it for a tight turn. I don't mind this at all, and I was quite a pro by the weekend, but some might find it annoying.

It comes standard with a bassinet, (2010 and newer), and the main seat. The toddler seat is an add on, but I see them on Ebay. The bassinet and seat hook on and off very easily and the seat is easy to reverse.

The fold seems big, but I was able to compact it down pretty small by removing the wheels, (they just pop off with the push of a button). I honestly don't feel like it is that much bigger (folded) than my previous BJCE. I think the four wheels give the illusion that it is "so much bigger".

The hood is amazing! The fabrics are very nice, and I Love the basket! It is so big and easy to access. Plus, because it is wire, I can load a lot of weight into it.

I seriously love this stroller. The only three things I can think may be a deal breaker for some are: larger fold, heavy, having to push down on the handle bar and pivot.

Baby Gizmo has a great review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FyaRO1i6vQ

Oh, one more possible deal breaker... if you don't like attention, this may not be the stroller for you. I got so many compliments on it, I was thinking of making a hand-out to give. :D

Let me know if you have any questions!

Multimama
03-17-2011, 03:35 AM
I have also heard less than stellar reviews on the Queen B push, but maybe that's for older models? Bumbleride has definitely worked to improve the push on others in their stroller line in the last few years so perhaps the Queen B push has improved too. I'm curious about it.

I was going to suggest the Mutsy 4rider. It's a reversible single. I believe the tires are air. And they have now come out with the Duoseat that you could pop on when you wanted to use it for two riders. The duoseat isn't reversible though so you would only have the reversible feature in singles mode.

meggswife
03-17-2011, 03:56 AM
Hmm... I think the Queen B pushes great. It's pretty substantial and handles varying terrain well. The "weird thing" about it is that, being a pram, it's bouncy. So, when you push the handle, there is some downward spring, if that makes sense? The first time I push it, it surprised me, but I quickly got used to it. It's definitely a "strolling" stroller, but it did perform well indoors too. I wouldn't want it for a mall-only stroller, but it really shines outdoors on walks.

Eagletmom
03-17-2011, 08:45 AM
I too dreamed about this stroller for months and had a queen b briefly for a few weeks. I purchased for the very same reasons, reversible inline stroller for 2 with air wheels. It is a gorgeous stroller, but not very practical for everyday suburb or even city use. Here are the reasons I sold it:
Larger than life (I was warned about this but I just had to see for myself)
Partial steering (it was almost easier to lock the wheels and lift and tilt)
Small seating (my kids are small 25 percentile yet they overfilled the seats)
Uneven distribution of weight ( even with my lightweight 19 lb 1 YO in the toddler seat and my 29lb 3 YO in the main seat)

All this being said, it is really a beautiful stroller and I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend it to someone who had one small child or infant and wanted something a little more vintage looking.

Here is a Pic for reference:
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/maolbash/Nicholas%20B-Day/1247234174.jpg

rin
03-17-2011, 11:02 AM
Queen B owners, thanks for weighing in! Eagletmom, what did you end up getting instead?

Eagletmom
03-17-2011, 11:13 AM
Queen B owners, thanks for weighing in! Eagletmom, what did you end up getting instead?

Hmm, I think I ended up with a Jane Powertwin, which is no longer available here in the USA. Right now I have a Mutsy 4 rider with duo seat, which is very nice but it might be replaced by a mountain buggy plus one. We shall see;-)

Multimama
03-17-2011, 01:58 PM
Eagletmom, that pic is so cute! It makes me want a Queen B. Thanks for sharing. I think. :)

Eagletmom
03-17-2011, 02:39 PM
Eagletmom, that pic is so cute! It makes me want a Queen B. Thanks for sharing. I think. :)

Awww thanks! Everytime I look at this pic I wish I still had it :-( but it just wasn't practical for my family, sigh......

roseyloxs
03-17-2011, 05:44 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe when I have #3? Funny thinking about buying an American pram to use in Europe.

Multimama
03-17-2011, 08:29 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe when I have #3? Funny thinking about buying an American pram to use in Europe.

Oh no, Roseyloxs. If you are in Europe and you want a pram, you will get an Emmaljunga. That's the pram brand that the Queen B wishes it was. :)

roseyloxs
03-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Oh no, Roseyloxs. If you are in Europe and you want a pram, you will get an Emmaljunga. That's the pram brand that the Queen B wishes it was. :)

:boogie: European strollers! YAY!

HannaAddict
03-18-2011, 12:50 AM
Since you have a Vista, I would try the rumble seat. My child was three and a half when baby # 3 arrived and the older one loved riding in the rumble seat. She is tall too and just approaching the weight level of the rumble seat. She rode in the rumble seat until recently, even though she exceeded the weight limit by a few pounds and was tall. I have a Bee in my car now, so she lost her rumble seat. But she loved it and the Vista has amazed us by hauling three kids and at weights exceeding the maximums for the rumble seat and piggyback board.

Minnifer
03-21-2011, 11:05 AM
Thank you so much everybody!! While the Queen B does look fun I don't think it's going to work for us... I think I'll go try out the B-Ready w/DD and see how she fits for now in the bottom seat, then I could move the baby down to it after a while. It's just so yucky down on the NYC streets that it kind of freaks me out to have either of them that low. I'll also try her out in the Vista Rumble Seat and see if it would work occasionally... and even though the MB+one won't have all the features I want I wish it would hurry up and come out already, just in case ;)

Minnifer
03-21-2011, 02:29 PM
Coming back to repost... I've been doing all sorts of online spec comparisons, and stumbled upon reading about the new MB Duet (side by side), which from what I read will be only 25" wide which is the same width as the Vista. I know folks are saying that the Duet seats will be really narrow, but I thought I read somewhere that they will be 11", and the Vista seat is only one inch wider at 12". So, maybe there *will* be a side by side for city living... DD still fits width-wise in the Vista, it's her height that's an issue. I'd also have to forgo parent-facing past the bassinet/car seat stage, but still, with what I've heard about an MB push that might be worth the trade-off (assuming the Duet comes out sometime soon, which it may not - think I read summer)....

roseyloxs
03-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Coming back to repost... I've been doing all sorts of online spec comparisons, and stumbled upon reading about the new MB Duet (side by side), which from what I read will be only 25" wide which is the same width as the Vista. I know folks are saying that the Duet seats will be really narrow, but I thought I read somewhere that they will be 11", and the Vista seat is only one inch wider at 12". So, maybe there *will* be a side by side for city living... DD still fits width-wise in the Vista, it's her height that's an issue. I'd also have to forgo parent-facing past the bassinet/car seat stage, but still, with what I've heard about an MB push that might be worth the trade-off (assuming the Duet comes out sometime soon, which it may not - think I read summer)....

The duet sounds awesome! We have been impatiently awaiting its arrival since the baby expo forever ago. All the seat measurements and whatnot have been rumor, i have even heard the seats are still 12" but who really knows. The stroller was on display at the expo but no one was allowed to push it or play with it. Can't wait until someone on this board finally gets their hands on it so we can all get the real low down.

it's me
03-25-2011, 02:07 PM
The duet sounds awesome! We have been impatiently awaiting its arrival since the baby expo forever ago. All the seat measurements and whatnot have been rumor, i have even heard the seats are still 12" but who really knows. The stroller was on display at the expo but no one was allowed to push it or play with it. Can't wait until someone on this board finally gets their hands on it so we can all get the real low down.

how long do these things take?! would love one of these, but i need something soon!

Minnifer
04-02-2011, 05:35 PM
Wah - was in Albee the other day and they called Mountain Buggy for me to try to get more info on release dates for the Duet and +One... and they said June :cry: (will be delivering DS June 7). So bummed - I've tried out the B-Ready, Quad, Phil & Teds and some other stuff in person and haven't felt like anything really works. No idea what I'm going to do - maybe I could hold out a bit longer and get by with my old Vista and the bassinet and having DD walk for now (I never upgraded to the 2009 frame so I could use the rumble seat or board) but I don't really even trust the June release date, kwim? Boo.

janine
04-05-2011, 09:49 AM
I found this thread and thought I'd resurrect it (we will also have a 3yr old by the time the newborn is here).

We currently have the Bugaboo Frog and Maclaren Quest. We use the Quest all the time for DD. The Bugaboo just became a pain after the newborn stage since we moved from NYC (where Bugaboo's rule) to the 'burbs.

So while the Bee looks awesome, I do worry about quick fold down to get in / out of a car for example. Also seems like by the time the 2nd one is sitting up - you have to think about another option?

Are there any other suggestions - so far the Bee is the only one which gets mentioned repeatedly.

Minnifer
04-12-2011, 04:44 PM
Bumping up again, b/c I just saw that the Phil & Teds Verve was released, and I called Albee and they're going to get one in from their warehouse for me to try out in the store. Since the darn Duet seems like it may take forever I'm thinking I will have to go with either the B-Ready or Verve for now. What sounded good in theory about the Verve is that the back seat on it will have the same weight limit as the front, 44 lbs, so I can use that for DD with the carseat attached rearfacing (not perfect of course b/c I'd rather have the baby flat), or recline the regular seat all the way flat for the baby, and mount the second seat in front and have DD ride there. Not quite as good as having the new baby rear face, but if he's flat I should be able to see him.

Will also have to check out whether either the B-Ready or Verve can take a board in singles mode...

Funny, the guy at Albee was shocked I'd be interested in the Verve - he thought the B-Ready was a much better stroller. In person I thought the B-Ready felt pretty rickety - not as nice as my current Vista. And the regular seat didn't have an upright position, which the Verve does, I think.

Anyway, we'll see - now if I can only get DD to cooperate with trying these out in person... need to come up w/a little bribe I think...

ohsara430
04-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Did you not like the Valco Quad? I almost bought the quad, but went for the tri mode instead since I rarely put it in the car to take it anywhere. I really like the push and off topic but 14 mo DD loves when I put the handle all the way down and let her push the stroller.

Minnifer
04-12-2011, 05:12 PM
Did you not like the Valco Quad? I almost bought the quad, but went for the tri mode instead since I rarely put it in the car to take it anywhere. I really like the push and off topic but 14 mo DD loves when I put the handle all the way down and let her push the stroller.

I guess b/c it doesn't have a "true" 2nd seat or the ability to have the infant rear face while in doubles mode, I was hoping to find a somewhat better option. But I haven't ruled anything out completely yet, lol.

scriptkitten
04-12-2011, 06:03 PM
For NYC, I'd go with P&T over B-Ready for the air tires.

Queen B wouldn't be maneuverable enough.

Yeah, the streets are gross, but in newborn mode, the baby will not be down low. I honestly never felt like baby in the back seat was getting a germ shower. Actually, baby in the front seat is the one that got all the attention from strangers trying to get all up in their face

legaleagle
04-12-2011, 06:05 PM
Please post when you see the verve - I'm very curious about this one!