PDA

View Full Version : Laundry Detergent for Baby

ashleybama24
03-16-2011, 05:56 PM
I'm sure this has been asked before but does anyone have a recommendation for a good laundry detergent for a newborn? I recently ran out of Dreft and I wanted to get some laundry detergent that was gentle for new babies before #2 arrived. I realized Dreft has quite a few chemicals which make it smell amazing but can't be good for soft baby skin.

cono0507
03-16-2011, 05:58 PM
I've always just used a free and clear detergent like all free and clear for the whole family including newborns. DOesn't have that dreft smell but it is free of dyes and scents that can irritate.

SnuggleBuggles
03-16-2011, 05:59 PM
Yep, any free and clear would be fine. Some brands, like Seventh Generation have fewer bad for the environment and baby chemicals too. People also really like Charlie's Soap. We use the same detergent for the whole family- everything gets washed together.

Beth

lizzywednesday
03-16-2011, 07:36 PM
We use Target's free & clear on DD's and my clothes.

Scented detergent gives me asthma and allergy attacks.

AngB
03-16-2011, 10:20 PM
Thanks for posting this, I've been thinking about it and debating what kind to buy myself!

Melaine
03-16-2011, 10:24 PM
I agree that any Free and Clear should be fine. I like Charlie's after recommendations here and we use it on all our laundry.

MamaSnoo
03-16-2011, 11:10 PM
We use 7th Gen unscented for the whole family. Never had problems with it.

brittone2
03-17-2011, 11:28 AM
We are Charlie's peeps.

Dreft is IMO a scam. It is heavily scented and there's nothing particularly special about it in terms of being "safer" for baby.

trcy
03-17-2011, 11:38 AM
We use Target's free & clear on DD's and my clothes.

:yeahthat:Sometimes Target has All Free & Clear on sale for even less than their brand so I go between the two.

longtallsally05
03-17-2011, 02:25 PM
All Free & Clear was actually the cheapest detergent I found when comparing everything at Sam's Club and Costco, even the in-house brands and with the coupons I had for name brands.

I like All Free & Clear, but I'm thinking of going with a detergent that has no optical brighteners, as my last HA package of clothes said that detergents with optical brighteners can fade HA (and presumably other brands of) clothing and make even matching Hannas not match anymore. Though it doesn't contain optical brighteners and the laundry comes out smelling like nothing at all, I won't use the Duggar family "detergent" recipe (Fels Naptha soap, Borax & A&H Super Washing Soda) on my HAs because when I've used Fels Naptha soap to treat stains, it faded the knees of some HA leggings. Also, I've read that soaps shouldn't be used to launder children's flame-resistant sleepwear, as it reduces the efficacy. So I'm searching for something new, too. Has anyone tried Cheer powder?

BabyH
03-17-2011, 02:44 PM
I use Method Baby now... when he was a newbie, I used All F&C.

mackmama
03-17-2011, 09:17 PM
I recommend 7th Generation. My LO had a reaction to Dreft and All Free+Clear but has been fine on 7th Generation.

ashleybama24
03-20-2011, 09:34 PM
I recommend 7th Generation. My LO had a reaction to Dreft and All Free+Clear but has been fine on 7th Generation.

Does 7th Generation smell good? I like when laundry smells clean and would rather use something slightly scented than totally scent free. Wish I could use Gain Apple Mango Tango on baby stuff....too bad it has so many chemicals.

SnuggleBuggles
03-20-2011, 09:36 PM
Does 7th Generation smell good? I like when laundry smells clean and would rather use something slightly scented than totally scent free. Wish I could use Gain Apple Mango Tango on baby stuff....too bad it has so many chemicals.

I don't really think it has a smell of any kind. It really doesn't take long to get break the scent habit and it's worth it. :)

Beth

mackmama
03-20-2011, 10:58 PM

I believe it is completely fragrance-free.

AlbrightRC
03-21-2011, 09:25 AM
We used tide free and clear hoping we could later transition to regular tide like I use for our clothes. However my son's skin is so sensitive that I still wash everything of his before he wears it and i'm still using the free & clear for his clothes and bedding. I use regular tide for other household laundry.

Penny's Pappa
03-21-2011, 09:41 AM
We use Tide Coldwater HE. Never had any problems with it but YMMV.