PDA

View Full Version : mamaRoo?

ashleybama24
03-16-2011, 06:02 PM
So I'm currently pregnant with #2, another boy and I need to get another swing. My first one broke, literally the day we brought our son home and used it for the first time. The replacement motor stopped working and I ended up using a travel swing generously donated by a neighbor. The only bad part is the swing is a travel swing so it has to sit on the floor and I'm not sure it will work with a newborn since it has sort of a strange recline. It is also about 4 years old so I am not sure how long it will last and given my track record I'm sure it will break too!

Is the new mamaRoo worth the money? Has anyone tested it out? I've only seen it once in person but it looked wonderful! Since I will be busy with a toddler I could use any and every baby gaget to make life easier.

Blackbird711
03-16-2011, 08:40 PM
This may not help as I don't have personal experience with the Mamaroo, but .... I was also very interested in getting one and ultimately decided against it because a thorough search of reviews on Amazon and elsewhere revealed some pretty consistent complaints that the movement is too slow to soothe some kids. Some moms seem to love it and think it works great, but others say it just didn't cut if for their fussy little ones and that a more traditional cradle swing worked better for them. I still think the Mamaroo looks cool and it definitely seems to take up less space, but ultimately I think we're going to get a Fisher Price Snugabunny (or similar) cradle swing. Hopefully the Mamaroo folks will put a little more power behind the next version. I wouldn't want to spend $200 on it and then find out that DS is one of the fussy ones that it won't soothe... like I said, no personal experience but thought someone else should benefit from the ridiculous number of hours I spend researching all this stuff :)

swissair81
03-18-2011, 06:08 PM
I have a mamaroo. My advice is to wait until the baby is born. Buy a bouncer or something similar. The swing thing is completely about individual taste of the baby. My middle two kids loved the cradle swing. My almost 7 month old never sat in it, she hated it from the moment I brought her home. She adores the mamaroo though. We put it next to our fish tank, and she really enjoys herself in there.

mackmama
03-19-2011, 06:08 PM
I was also very interested in getting one and ultimately decided against it because a thorough search of reviews on Amazon and elsewhere revealed some pretty consistent complaints that the movement is too slow to soothe some kids. Some moms seem to love it and think it works great, but others say it just didn't cut if for their fussy little ones and that a more traditional cradle swing worked better for them. Hopefully the Mamaroo folks will put a little more power behind the next version. I wouldn't want to spend $200 on it and then find out that DS is one of the fussy ones that it won't soothe... like I said, no personal experience but thought someone else should benefit from the ridiculous number of hours I spend researching all this stuff :)

:yeahthat: I really wanted the Mamaroo but read that many think the movement is too slow. The seat also does not look that comfy. We ended up with the FP Lamb Swing and are very happy with it.

ashleybama24
03-19-2011, 08:31 PM
When my son was in daycare they had this swing that I swear had a car motor. It swung so fast and all the babies slept in it for hours! I was definitely not anything fancy but I would have paid millions to own it. DS refused to nap anywhere else for the first 6 months.