PDA

View Full Version : help! DS w/ cold urticaria? any BTDT?

newbiemom
03-16-2011, 08:29 PM
we started noticing DS had these hives on his cheeks when he was outside. Then we saw some on his hands and also on his feet when he took his socks off in the house. He had to use an ice pack and when it came off, he developed hives a few minutes later in that exact same spot.
I'm freaking out a little because of course I'm googling and it seems like he's really sensitive to temperature changes - I mean, just walking around bare feet in the house that isn't all that cold (about 68F). And then does this mean no pool at all? How will I manage that with the other DS who love the pool (and he does himself as well). Because I'm reading it could lead to death!

He had this stomach bug and I'm wondering if it just suddenly was triggered by the bug.
I'm calling the dr tomorrow, but I'm feeling pretty awful about it. Any BTDT to calm me down please?

carolinamama
03-16-2011, 09:36 PM
No btdt but just wanted to send you some hugs since it sounds really stressful. Here's some pts too that whatever your DS has going on isn't longlived or too bad.

mom_hanna
03-16-2011, 10:55 PM
I have cold urticaria. For me, I am not affected by pools or ocean water or anything "cool". I only get hives when I am out in really cold weather, along with some wind. ie. I get hives on the front of my thighs and my stomach when I run outside in the winter (below 30 degrees). I have no other symptoms other than being really itchy for an hour or so until the subside. Hopefully your ds' symptoms are the extent of it. I had never heard of it being life threatening, and for me it has never been anything more than a nuisance. Don't read anymore and get yourself more worried. I would wait to talk to the doctor.

Jennifer

newbiemom
03-16-2011, 11:08 PM
thanks, I guess what's got me upset is that it's not just extreme cold weather that is causing these hives. he's getting these hives in our house, where the temp is about 68 degrees, just when he takes his socks off. And how to explain that his sibling can go swimming but he'll have to stay home?!

ok. deep breaths, I have to talk to the dr before I keep imagining the worst.

MommyAllison
03-17-2011, 01:46 AM
I've never been diagnosed, but get hives in unheated pools, and when I get too cold for too long. Mine appear on my stomach & inner thighs, primarily, and go away within 20ish minutes of getting warmed up. Swimming in heated pools and warm-ish lakes has always been fine for me, and I also seem to be less sensitive as I get older (for me, it started around age 8). Definitely talk to your dr, but I wouldn't automatically rule out all swimming. Good luck!