PDA

View Full Version : Travel/mall stroller for tall 3yo

beltm
03-16-2011, 11:59 PM
So I posted a few days ago and have been doing some research. I realize i would like a lighter smaller stroller for quick runs to the mall or quick errands instead of the BCJE, but with a better push than my Mac triumph. Those are the 2 strollers i have. Oh, i have a Micralite Toro too from when DS was born but he outgrew it a year ago. DS just turned 3, is 39", 33 lbs, but has a long torso, meaning i need a higher seatback and taller canopy. I would use this stroller for errands, the mall and to fly with and push around Sea World, and other such all day parks. I am considering taking the BJCE since i love the push on it and i can hang a diaper bag on it, but i still want something lighter/smaller, especially since i am hopping to TTC this summer and had back pain last time so need something more fully featured than the triumph without the weight of the BJCE. So here is my wish list:

Accomodates a TALL 3yo - minimum seat to canopy height of 24-25 inches

Able to hang a bag/store under seat with easy access (but prefer to hang to prevent bending)

Less than 20 lbs.

Able to travel with through airport - compact fold

Comfortable push - easy, comfortable on my hands, not effortful

Can use for a whole day at a theme park - comfortable for DS to spend alot of time in (so something a little padded/cushy)

Has a recline if DS falls asleep in it

Has decent canopy/shade

DOesn't need to be all-terrain - to be used for shopping and paved parks, but still with a great push

I think that's everything. I took DS to BRUS today and the BJCM is too small for him (23 inch canopy). The Peg P3 compact and Peg Si looked like they might be on the smaller side as well - i think they are 24 inches to canopy, he looked like he didn't have much room to grow, although he was not being super cooperative when seated in those. The cybex onyx i think had 26-27 inches to canopy, but would be tippy with a bag hanging on it, and it didn't seem that different from my Mac triumph to justify it. I would have loved to try a bumbleride Flite and Flyer and TFK Buggster but they didn't have those. So here is what i am deciding between for this keep it in the car stroller, and i will keep the BJCE in the garage for walks or when we do an outdoor event.

TFK Buggster
Bumbleride FLite
Bumbleride Flyer
Maybe Peg Si
Maybe Peg p3 compact
Maybe Uppa Baby G luxe - didn't look at it, not sure if it's different/better than my triumph

Is there something else i should be considering? Oh i have a Graco infant seat and i think these all have adaptors for that so i could use it down the road with another baby. So i may still take the BJCE to san diego, but if i could find something that is lighter, and would travel a little easier but still be good for the parks there i would prefer that. Any input is appreciated, thank you.

eno0609
03-17-2011, 12:20 AM
Have you tried the Mac Techno XT? We had an '07 Triumph and sold it for an '09 XT. The only thing that I liked better about the Triumph was that it was so light. What I love about the XT:
- still compact and under 20 lbs
- has suspension
- bigger tires (than the Triumph) smoother push and ride
- I'm not sure what the seat to canopy height is but I know that it's pretty generous (my 4 year old fits great) Baby Gizmo has a review and mentions the height.
- full recline
- amazing extendable canopy with an additional sun visor (this also prevents the inside of the canopy from getting dirty form the wheels and the sun visor can be easily wiped clean).
- love the look of the black frame with black fabric (and the reflective accents are a nice touch, for night time use).
- the handles are higher, but I personally prefer them higher (even though I'm 5'3")

HTH!
ETA- for extra storage without bending/stuffing the basket, I use the Maclaren universal organizer and Skip Hop Saddlebags, I can easily fit a few diapers, change pad, and wipes in one saddlebag and food, bibs utensils etc. in another one or the Skip Hop Pronto portable changer also hangs nicely on a handle bar.

purpelina
03-17-2011, 12:23 AM
How about bugaboo bee plus? The newer bugaboo has extendable back, so fits even tallest of toddlers well, it reclines, has suspension, great steering / pushing and decent storage.
If you decide to check out the bee at the store, make sure you ask sales person to extend the back of the stroller, so you can see how far up it goes. Otherwise you might think it't too small!
It's expensive, but it can serve you well instead of other strollers you are not using anymore, and maybe if you can sell them you could fund the purchase of bee?

for air travel with a big toddler take a look at maclaren starck that we were discussing here lately :)

it's taller than triumph, and fits taller kids better, but has no recline, so it's rather a travel stroller / mall stroller that you can use for shorter outings. Thought it's impossible to find IRL to try, and since you are not happy with the triumph, you might not want the starck either...

purpelina
03-17-2011, 12:24 AM
second Mac techno suggestion - and you can find a good deal on a used one!

roseyloxs
03-17-2011, 01:22 AM
Cybex Callisto

http://strollerqueen.wordpress.com/2009/12/02/cybex-callisto-review-2/

Seat to Canopy: 27.5″

There is a car seat adapter too.

MamaBear
03-17-2011, 01:49 AM
How about bugaboo bee plus? The newer bugaboo has extendable back, so fits even tallest of toddlers well, it reclines, has suspension, great steering / pushing and decent storage.
If you decide to check out the bee at the store, make sure you ask sales person to extend the back of the stroller, so you can see how far up it goes. Otherwise you might think it't too small!
It's expensive, but it can serve you well instead of other strollers you are not using anymore, and maybe if you can sell them you could fund the purchase of bee?

for air travel with a big toddler take a look at maclaren starck that we were discussing here lately :)

it's taller than triumph, and fits taller kids better, but has no recline, so it's rather a travel stroller / mall stroller that you can use for shorter outings. Thought it's impossible to find IRL to try, and since you are not happy with the triumph, you might not want the starck either...

:yeahthat:

I know I'm always going on about Bugaboo, but really, the Bee+ has everything you're seeking. My super-tall 4.5 year old fits in it with room to spare. We've used it for travel (although I'm considering the Cam for our trip to Oz), and it usually lives in the car for on-the-go use. It's expensive, but it is superb IMO.

legaleagle
03-17-2011, 10:52 AM
Definitely the callisto! My 2.5 year old has almost exactly the same stats as your DS and he has tons of room still. You can find previous year's models for well under the list of $350. I have the 2009 and the canopy doesn't ratchet forward but it's huge - Really padded seat, super easy full recline, nice big hood. I believe the 2010 will ratchet forward and definitely the 2011 does. It's not at all tippy - I can hang stuff off it no problem with mighty buggy hooks. The basket isn't particularly accessible, though maybe a bit better than a mac. Love the solid wheels and suspension I can easily push DS1 one handed with DS2 on my hip. For 2010 and later you can get a cupholder that attaches in multiple spots. It comes with a raincover and a bumper bar too.

I'm sure the bee is awesome too though it's twice (or more) the price of a callisto.

toystorymama
03-17-2011, 11:29 AM
I posted in your other thread too, but I am still recommending the Buggster. :ROTFLMAO: We just took ours to Universal Orlando resort and it was so great. The seat is very padded, and the padding is breathable so it stays cool. My very tall 4 year old was very happy sitting in it a lot and he looked so comfy in the huge seat using the footrest. I really wish I had taken a picture of him in it.

I also prefer to hang my bag on the stroller and the Buggster is great for that and it has a really big basket too. The Buggster is also a smooth, easy push even with my 40 pounder in it.

I do have to say that I am not a fan of Macs...at all. We have a Quest and for a larger child it is quite hard to push. My mom thought the brake was on once when she was pushing my oldest in it (he was 3 then) of course she is spoiled by our Bugaboos too. :p

beltm
03-19-2011, 10:40 AM
I posted in your other thread too, but I am still recommending the Buggster. :ROTFLMAO: We just took ours to Universal Orlando resort and it was so great. The seat is very padded, and the padding is breathable so it stays cool. My very tall 4 year old was very happy sitting in it a lot and he looked so comfy in the huge seat using the footrest. I really wish I had taken a picture of him in it.

I also prefer to hang my bag on the stroller and the Buggster is great for that and it has a really big basket too. The Buggster is also a smooth, easy push even with my 40 pounder in it.

I do have to say that I am not a fan of Macs...at all. We have a Quest and for a larger child it is quite hard to push. My mom thought the brake was on once when she was pushing my oldest in it (he was 3 then) of course she is spoiled by our Bugaboos too. :p

thanks, i think i'm going to give the buggster a try. he falls asleep in the stroller and our triumph just doesn't look comfortable (compared to my BJCE). thanks for the input!!!! now if i can just find one discounted.....

Multimama
03-19-2011, 10:41 AM
thanks, i think i'm going to give the buggster a try. he falls asleep in the stroller and our triumph just doesn't look comfortable (compared to my BJCE). thanks for the input!!!! now if i can just find one discounted.....

Well, if you're comparing it to the BJCE then nothing will look comfortable. :) That stroller is like a bed on wheels! Let us know what you think of the Buggster when you get it.