PDA

View Full Version : any travel seat recs for 4 y.o.?

mmama
03-17-2011, 12:18 AM
My 4 y.o. DS (42 inches, 44 pounds) needs a new car seat for when we travel. He was using his old marathon but now his little brother needs it.

Currently he's harnessed in a FR85 but no way am I traveling with this seat!

The Go won't work b/c we won't have top tethers all the time.

From what I've researched the Maestro might be good but I'm concerned that he's pretty close to the weight limit. We can go to BRU to try out the seat, though. If it's big enough DS1 can use it for maybe the next year but then DS2 could use it when he's FF in a little over a year. My only concern with having DS2 use it is that I've read the seat doesn't have foam on the entire headrest.

So, are there any other options or should I get a high back booster? FWIW, I think DS1 would do fine in one with training. I've only kept him harnessed b/c, well, why not?

One more thing, we travel alot and sometimes to areas of the world not known for safe driving. So while we want something easier to lug around than the marathon, my ultimate concern is safety.

Thanks for any help! I tried doing some searches but didn't find anything on point.

bubbaray
03-17-2011, 12:26 AM
I'd do a Maestro for now (if he fits) and then a booster.

Do you travel to places where there are only lap-belts? If so, you can NOT use a booster with such belts -- boosters must only be used with lap/shoulder belts.

If you post over on car-seat.org in the international forum, you can ask Quassee as she has travelled extensively in Central America in places without "proper" belts.

HTH

mmama
03-17-2011, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the quick response!

We've always been in cars with lap/shoulder belts. But the smaller cars, crazy drivers and poor road design puts me on edge.

We'll try the Maestro's fit this weekend. Hopefully it'll work!