PDA

View Full Version : Are your older kids wearing green to school today?

jess_g
03-17-2011, 06:14 AM
I am not sure if I should send my 11 yr old to school in green today or not. He says he does not care if he wears or green or not and the school did not send a note home about a spirt day or anything like that. Are your kids wearing green today? My younger son is and is very excited aobut it, I am just not so sure if the older kids celebrate it as much as the younger kids do.

thanks, Jessica.

veronica
03-17-2011, 06:29 AM
Well, if he is indifferent, what about something with green in it but not a full on green suit? that way, if everyone does green, he still has some but if no one does, he doesn't stick out.

DD will be in all green, in a naartjie dress and leggings.

DS wears a uniform to his preschool but will wear green socks and chucks!

maestramommy
03-17-2011, 06:34 AM
Dora will wear her green sweatshirt IF I can persuade her. You just never know with my kids. The teachers haven't mentioned anything. She is more excited about having green eggs and ham than anything else.

egoldber
03-17-2011, 06:46 AM
Oh yes. Nothing "official" form school, from older DD said "she doesn't want to get pinched, so she has to wear green".

She's wearing a shirt with green in it, but with jeans. So it's not a green uniform. :)

thomma
03-17-2011, 07:18 AM
Our student council is having a contest to see which classroom wears the most green today. My second graders are decked out in green.

My 6th grade homeroom, on the other hand, will most likely not participate. Apparently it's beneath them. ;)

Kim
ds&dd - almost 8!

JBaxter
03-17-2011, 07:20 AM
an 11 yr old can make up their own mind.

SnuggleBuggles
03-17-2011, 07:28 AM
Uniform at ds1's school= no green.
Ds2 will wear some.

Beth

plusbellelavie
03-17-2011, 07:30 AM
an 11 yr old can make up their own mind.

:yeahthat: I let both of the older DCs make up their minds on what they wanted to wear but I did tell them that their was a "tradition" of pinching someone who didn't wear some green!

In the end the both ended up wearing a green shirt....

MelissaTC
03-17-2011, 07:48 AM
The Principal at our school declared a spirit day and encouraged the kids to wear green with their uniforms. M is wearing an Old Navy St. Patrick's day shirt with some shamrock beads.

g-mama
03-17-2011, 08:19 AM
Oh yes. Nothing "official" form school, from older DD said "she doesn't want to get pinched, so she has to wear green".

She's wearing a shirt with green in it, but with jeans. So it's not a green uniform. :)

:yeahthat: The thing about getting pinched if you're not wearing green is well-known here and my boys insisted they had to, and no, we're not Irish.

crl
03-17-2011, 08:53 AM
Yes. When I was kid kid you got pinched if you didn't wear green so I am definitely sending ds in green.

Catherine

Moneypenny
03-17-2011, 08:58 AM
Pinching someone will get you in trouble here, so that does not factor into DD's decision making. DD chose not to wear green today.

JBaxter
03-17-2011, 09:04 AM
Pinching someone will get you in trouble here, so that does not factor into DD's decision making. DD chose not to wear green today.

Yeah... I cant see a kid being pinched these days. Nathan chose to wear green today and even mentioned the getting pinched part but also added "Ms Sharar said there will be no pinching at school"

egoldber
03-17-2011, 09:09 AM
I can't imagine a surer way for a kid to get teased mercilessly than to go tell a teacher that kids are pinching them for not wearing green. Sorry, but kids can be cruel, and I just don't see the tradition stopping because a teacher says "no pinching".

Older DD's school in previous years I know has had "no pinching" policies, but to no avail....

But it makes me love younger DD's Jewish preschool where they don't even mention St. Patrick's day all the more...

Moneypenny
03-17-2011, 09:26 AM
I can't imagine a surer way for a kid to get teased mercilessly than to go tell a teacher that kids are pinching them for not wearing green. Sorry, but kids can be cruel, and I just don't see the tradition stopping because a teacher says "no pinching".

Older DD's school in previous years I know has had "no pinching" policies, but to no avail....

But it makes me love younger DD's Jewish preschool where they don't even mention St. Patrick's day all the more...

Well, I will say that I never heard of getting pinched for not wearing green before I read it here. Maybe it's regional? It's just not a big deal here. Last year in kindy they did some St. Patrick's day activities, but now in 1st grade DD hasn't even mentioned it.

egoldber
03-17-2011, 09:32 AM
They don't really do anything for St. P's Day in the schools here (so far as I know), but the pinching is definitely a tradition.

I think it's innocent fun in young grades, but I can vividly remember boys in older grades being pretty mean about it. So maybe I'm just projecting my own childhood trauma onto this holiday. ;)

Moneypenny
03-17-2011, 09:39 AM
So maybe I'm just projecting my own childhood trauma onto this holiday. ;)

Well, in our family we always say it isn't really a holiday unless it results in some long-lasting trauma, lol!

mom2binsd
03-17-2011, 09:57 AM
Well, our last name starts with Mc....and of course it's St. Patty's day....pinching or no pinching we'll all wear green today!

jess_g
03-17-2011, 10:17 AM
UPDATE: My son wore his green shirt but underneith a blue sweatshirt. It looked much more like his style than before. And at my younger sons school everyone (including teachers and older kids) were wearing green today so I think we made the right choice.

Jessica.

AnnieW625
03-17-2011, 10:26 AM
Both of my girls are wearing green today. DD1 a green dress, and DD2 a green shirt.

Snow mom
03-17-2011, 11:51 AM
I sent DD in a long-sleeve green shirt with a change of clothes (also green) if it gets warmer. I think that like Beth I'm projecting my own childhood trauma onto this holiday.

tiapam
03-17-2011, 11:56 AM
Well, in our family we always say it isn't really a holiday unless it results in some long-lasting trauma, lol!

I love this! Will have to remember it when in the middle of the holidays!

Roni
03-17-2011, 11:56 AM
My 10 yo did (she's in middle school), but she's very spirited and proud of being Irish. I don't know what other kids will do, but I don't think that will bother her.

crl
03-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Well, I will say that I never heard of getting pinched for not wearing green before I read it here. Maybe it's regional? It's just not a big deal here. Last year in kindy they did some St. Patrick's day activities, but now in 1st grade DD hasn't even mentioned it.

I remember it pretty clearly in grade school in the, hmm, late 70s early 80s. And it was in both Missouri and Colorado. I know kids talked about it in junior high in Missouri too, but not sure if it really happened at that age or if it was more just teasing by then.

Catherine

ilfaith
03-17-2011, 01:49 PM
My boys go to a Jewish school, so the don't "do" St. Patrick's Day. But forest green happens to be one of the official uniform colors, so DS1 is wearing a green polo shirt today. DS2 is in the preschool, and they are doing "pajama day" today (I guess to avoid the whole wearing green issue)

TwinFoxes
03-17-2011, 02:11 PM
Well, I will say that I never heard of getting pinched for not wearing green before I read it here.

Can I be nosy and ask what region you're in? As broad or narrow as you feel comfortable. I grew up in SoCal, and DH in Michigan, we both knew of the pinching thing. Some folks in a BP thread hadn't heard of it either, I'm just trying to figure out where it's not a tradition. I'm always interested in regionalisms, how traditions seem to take hold in some parts of the country but not others.

I actually didn't know if it was a tradition here or not, but G-mama and Egoldberg live in my region, so I guess it is!

wimama
03-17-2011, 02:17 PM
My DS is wearing a green polo and underwear. He goes to a Catholic school and his K4 teacher had Irish music playing when they got into school.

GaPeach_in_Ca
03-17-2011, 02:25 PM
I forgot all about St. Patrick's day, to be honest. I think DS1 (1st grade) remembered because he picked out a green shirt and then asked me if it was St. Patrick's day later and when I said yes, he was very excited.

My younger DS is not wearing green. He's only 2, though, so I don't think he'll care. Plus, he was already on his 2nd outfit as he pulled his bowl of cereal over and he was covered in milk & cereal on the first go round.

Fairy
03-17-2011, 02:28 PM
Yep, green tshirt with a waffle weave underneath.

Corie
03-17-2011, 02:40 PM
Both kids wore green today to school.

FWIW, I've heard of the pinching thing too. Born and raised in Ohio.

Moneypenny
03-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Can I be nosy and ask what region you're in? As broad or narrow as you feel comfortable.

Born and raised in Wisconsin. Not exactly a hot bed of Irish tradition!

bubbaray
03-17-2011, 03:05 PM
Both girls are wearing green today. I had never heard of the pinching thing until yesterday when DH mentioned it (see my BP thread on that). I'm of part Irish descent and was born and raised in Boston (and later Western Canada). DH is of German descent but born & raised in Western Canada and hadn't heard of the pinching thing until this past weekend (thanks grocery store clerk).

Maybe the pinching thing is generational? I'm old and either it started after I was a kid or I am suffering early-onset memory loss....

crl
03-17-2011, 03:13 PM
Both girls are wearing green today. I had never heard of the pinching thing until yesterday when DH mentioned it (see my BP thread on that). I'm of part Irish descent and was born and raised in Boston (and later Western Canada). DH is of German descent but born & raised in Western Canada and hadn't heard of the pinching thing until this past weekend (thanks grocery store clerk).

Maybe the pinching thing is generational? I'm old and either it started after I was a kid or I am suffering early-onset memory loss....

I don't think you are older than me? I am nearly 41. Maybe you just went to nicer schools. :wink2:

Catherine

egoldber
03-17-2011, 03:19 PM
:yeahthat:

42 here.

bubbaray
03-17-2011, 03:27 PM
Older than both of you (though not both of you combined....)

plusbellelavie
03-17-2011, 03:40 PM
Well I was raised on Long Island, NY and several Southern CA towns and it certainly happen there through HS for me!

I googled the tradition and there is a lot of explanation for it but it all started in the US.

Both kids just got back from school and they both said there was "pinching" going on with kids not wearing green. My son said the older boys were "rougher" then others with the pinching but for those who "forgot" to wear green today at the middle school there were girls letting them wear their green lipstick....he said it was pretty comical to see boys wearing green lipstick but a lot of kids had green on!

My 4th grader said there was pinching going on at her school to...and that her teacher told them no pinching at the beginning of the day but it still happened. I asked her if anyone complained about being pinched she said that no body pinched anyone hard that she saw and she didn't hear anyone complain.

We live in NJ so the "tradition" goes on....

egoldber
03-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Older than both of you (though not both of you combined....)

But not THAT much older? Maybe a year or two?

lmh2402
03-17-2011, 04:27 PM

lol!

fwiw, i'm 35. born & raised in nyc. went through the nyc public school system. and i have NEVER heard of pinching on st patty's day. never. before reading this thread.

Cam&Clay
03-17-2011, 04:58 PM
Pinching is alive and well in Virginia...

Even so, super cool DS1 went off to school not wearing anything green except his boxers.

I had to convince DS2 to wear a green t-shirt to the sitter's. Once he got there and realized everyone else was in green, he was very happy he cooperated with me.

I wore green, but I work in an elementary school and it's required. It might even be in our teacher contract.

Even DH went off to work in an Irish rugby jersey!

Binkandabee
03-17-2011, 06:01 PM
We're on Spring Break, but both girls as well as DH and I are sporting green today! With a maiden last name that begins with O'C...I'd be disowned if I didn't wear green today.

FWIW, we've also always known about pinching those not wearing green. Of course, I've never been pinched, but it's been a part of the tradition for as long as I can remember.