PDA

View Full Version : Running out of things to do

DietCokeLover
03-17-2011, 03:37 PM
Please help.... I am running out of things to occupy my DC during the day time hours. It's becoming much too easy to turn on the TV and let them sit there for longer than they should because I am out of ideas.

We aren't able to get away to the park, etc as much as we'd like because I am having to run our business and watch the kids while DH is doing a residency program.

So, other than coloring, playing play dough, playing with markers, free play.... help me! what do you do with your dc at home during the day. Any websites/ blogs with fun ideas?

KpbS
03-17-2011, 03:53 PM
Build a fort with blankets/sheets, play kitchen/food, books on tape/cd?
There is always pbskids.org if you are looking for computer ideas.

vonfirmath
03-17-2011, 03:58 PM
No Time for Flash Cards
http://www.notimeforflashcards.com/

infomama
03-17-2011, 03:59 PM
Help with cooking? Both dds (3 and 7) love to cook (and bake) with me.

boilermakermom
03-17-2011, 04:27 PM
hide and seek, put on some music and dance, we do the hokey pokey at least 100 times a day. red light, green light and simon says are also fun. dress up is a blast - especially when you dress up the dog! ;o)

does your library have play time? or story time?

DietCokeLover
03-17-2011, 04:33 PM
No Time for Flash Cards
http://www.notimeforflashcards.com/

I LOVE this site! Thank you so much!

sste
03-17-2011, 04:51 PM
I love the notimeforflashcards site too. :)

Dietcokelover, are you the poster that lives in a somewhat remote locale if I recall correctly? Because my first suggestion was going to be Park and Rec your family to the hilt! Or other like activity.

If that doesn't work is there something you can do with another mom - - maybe a regular playdate or craft or music focused playdate alternating between your houses to reduce the burden.

Another idea is to pursue a theme over the course of a few days. I can't take credit for this it is all my amazing part-time babysitter who is in school to become a preschool teacher. What she does is is over multiple days explores a theme in different ways. So, she read the Lorax to my son (he LOVES this book now). Then they drew a Lorax/Onesler tree village on his giant roll of coloring paper. Then the next day they went to the store to buy a packet of "Truffalo (sp?) tree" seeds and planted them. ETC.

HTH. :)

DietCokeLover
03-17-2011, 05:13 PM
Dietcokelover, are you the poster that lives in a somewhat remote locale if I recall correctly? Because my first suggestion was going to be Park and Rec your family to the hilt! Or other like activity.

Yes, that is me! :cry: And the parks and rec department and I are not loving each other right now (BP a few weeks back about how the man there told me not to worry about getting my kids in group activities and that I should be spending more one on one time with them!... blood boiling again just thinking about that conversation)

My biggest problem is that since I am having to run our business while watching the kids, I am homebound for the large chunk of the day. We own a motel and so it is now embarking on tourist season... which means I get stuck at home/ work.

So, ideas that I can do with my kids at the kitchen table are great.

SnuggleBuggles
03-17-2011, 05:20 PM
Is there anyone at all that can babysit? Someone who can take the kids out on outings- it'd be good for them and you. Maybe place an ad Craigslist nearby university or high school or church. There could be some equally bored teen hanging around that could do the job great. :)

Beth

TwinFoxes
03-17-2011, 05:44 PM
Bubbles! Always a hit here. We bought a cheap bubble machine, as well as regular bubble makers.

I bought these cool crayola washable markers that look like paint brushes, the kids love "painting" with them.

Old favorite...hide and seek. I go with hide the hider, and then help the seeker. :) Sometimes they both find me.

Oops, gotta run.

ett
03-17-2011, 05:51 PM
Legos and perler beads will occupy DS2 for hours.

Or how about some arts and craft kits or supplies like pom poms, pipe cleaners, tissue paper, etc? Workbooks? board games?

logan's mom
03-17-2011, 06:34 PM
I bookmarked this site to do with my son. Looks like there might be other suggestions on this website too.

http://mommypoppins.com/ny-kids/99-sensory-activities-for-any-child/

carolinamama
03-17-2011, 08:41 PM
Is there anyone at all that can babysit? Someone who can take the kids out on outings- it'd be good for them and you. Maybe place an ad Craigslist nearby university or high school or church. There could be some equally bored teen hanging around that could do the job great. :)

Beth

Yes! I think everyone would benefit from a somewhat regular sitter or even mother's helper who could occupy your kids there.

The other thing I thought about was building some sort of small outdoor play area that is contained/fenced in. If we didn't have our backyard fenced with a swingset, sandbox, water table, picnic table, balls, LT lawnmower, bubbles, and other assorted outdoor toys, I would go NUTS with my active kids. I can see them from inside if I am trying to get something done and they can play happily (usually) together. I know a swingset is big and expensive, but our sandbox has gotten the most bang for the buck and will occupy them for a long time as will a water table.

We also do a good amount of indoor water play at the kitchen sink on our learning tower, but used chairs before we had that. I fill the sink about 1/2 full and give the kids funnels, measuring cups, spoons etc. You can add a few drops of food coloring to the water if you are feeling especially brave and adventurous! Another indoor activity that my kids love is our bean container. We have a large tub of dried beans that I bought in bulk. Again, I give them funnels, measuring cups, spoons, and tweezers to use with the beans.