PDA

View Full Version : Is 5 years too old for a shopping cart?

new_mommy25
03-17-2011, 06:15 PM
DD loves to play with baby dolls and her toy kitchen. Most of her play is like the home center of a preschool: kitchen, babies, dress up, toy vaccuum, etc. She has a doll stroller that is played with daily. Because of the stroller I never bothered to get her a toy shopping cart. Last year we gave my niece a shopping cart for her second birthday. DD had a lot of fun playing with it and ever since then has been asking for one. The requests are becoming more frequent. I was thinking that it might be cute to get her one for Easter and it could double as her basket. But she is very tall (44") and almost five, so I don't know how long it will hold in play value to justify the price ($35-40ish). Also, I think DH might balk at the cart just because we have small home and the cart doesn't fold the way a stroller does.

Thoughts?

pastrygirl
03-17-2011, 06:17 PM
I got the M&D shopping cart for my tall 4.5-year-old, and it's been great! It's small and doubles as a "stroller" for his dolls.

AnnieW625
03-17-2011, 06:34 PM
DD1 is almost 5 and still loves her shopping cart. The one we have is closer to the size of the small ones they used to have at Trader Joe's and I got it at Costco in 2007. I have no idea what the brand is though.

MMMommy
03-17-2011, 06:58 PM
We've had our Battat red shopping cart from Costco for a few years now, and it is still going strong! Not so much as a pretend shopping cart at this point, but more as a means of transferring items from one room to another. DDs will put items in it to roll into another room. Very handy and convenient!

sariana
03-17-2011, 07:05 PM
Does the cart come with food or other items? Playing store is a great way to learn about money values. I don't think 5 is too old at all.

jenstring95
03-18-2011, 10:49 PM
My 5 1/2yo son still loves to push everything around - shopping cart, stroller, popper lawn mower, you name it. One thing I regret about our shopping cart (I think it is FP?) is that it doesn't have a seat for "babies"; it just has the main cart part. If I were to buy another one now I would definitely get the M&D one; it is much more realistic than any of the others I've seen. I have actually been tempted to buy it for awhile now...

mnosky1
03-20-2011, 10:47 PM
We have the yellow plastic little tykes - very durable but not as nice as the realistic M & D one. My almost 8 year old asks for the real looking one all the time! She plays kitchen and store with the 3 year old sister - so no, I don't think 5 is too old.