PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of selling my like-new 2010 Vista for an AT

KateW
03-17-2011, 06:27 PM
My daughter was born in October, and we bought the 2010 Vista before she arrived, thinking it would be the perfect stroller for us for a long time -- even with 2 DCs. We were eventually going to get a real running stroller because DH and I are both runners. But then I recently bought a BJCM for my mom to have at her house since she will be watching DD 2 days a week, and I realized when we got that (the BJCM) how much I like the reclining seat and long canopy -- I don't like that the Vista's seat doesn't really recline (it tilts) and the canopy is not nearly as good as the BJCM's IMO. Also, I live in the city limits of Chicago, sidewalks are kind of crappy, and the Vista's push is nice but I think I might prefer air tires. I DO love the Vista's basket and the rear-facing option...

Anyway... should I sell my Vista for an AT stroller, and if so, how much should I ask for it? It has only been out 5 times (DD screamed the first time I took her out, and so I didn't again until she was about 3.5 months and the weather got slightly nicer). I dripped a tiny bit of my latte on it an hour or so ago but I just scrubbed that part so hopefully it will come out.

Also, is there an AT stroller that's small enough to be an everyday stroller but good enough to be a real running stroller, or should I just accept that I'll need both? I'm looking at the BOB and the Baby Jogger running strollers, since I like the BJCM so much... Guess I'll go search for some threads about those.

TIA!!!

lauti
03-17-2011, 07:44 PM
I have both a Vista and a BOB (and a City Mini too :) ) and IMO, they both serve different purposes.

I do use my BOB outside for walks etc... but I love to shop with the Vista because of the basket and nice ride indoors (plus it doesn't feel as huge as the BOB). The City Mini is our travel stroller, but it just wouldn't work for me as an everyday one. I am tall and when walking at a good clip, I kick the back wheels.

If you can swing both, I'd hang on to the Vista, but depending on your lifestyle an AT could definitely be your only stroller. You might want to look at something like the Bumbleride Indie or a Mountain Buggy for a smaller AT.

purpelina
03-17-2011, 08:32 PM
you may want to keep the vista for now, since your dd is still so young, you can take advantage of reversible features. Also, it's not recommended to run with young infants anyway.

As your baby gets older, you may look into a true AT stroller with air tires, a bob or a mountain buggy - there several good brands to choose from.

So, I's day to wait it out a bit more, especially if a reversible seat is important to you and your child. If you don't see much need for this feature, you could trade in sooner.

roseyloxs
03-17-2011, 08:35 PM
Also, is there an AT stroller that's small enough to be an everyday stroller but good enough to be a real running stroller, or should I just accept that I'll need both? I'm looking at the BOB and the Baby Jogger running strollers, since I like the BJCM so much... Guess I'll go search for some threads about those.

No. You will need both. However if you want to get a bike trailer you can use that as your jogger. I currently use the BJ switchback but Chariots and Burleys are great options too.

poohbear
03-17-2011, 08:56 PM

TIA!!!

No. You will need both. However if you want to get a bike trailer you can use that as your jogger. I currently use the BJ switchback but Chariots and Burleys are great options too.

I actually think you could use the BOB as your everyday stroller. I have a friend who does. I have thought about using my BOB as my everyday becuase I :love5: it so much. My BJCM is great, but the BOB push is dreamy (I live in Chicago also, but in the burbs).

I would keep the vista for the reversible also. FWIW on chicago CL right now, there is a brand new 2010 vista listed at $550. There is a 2011 new for $575 and one for $600. May not be worth it to part with it yet (unless you got it on sale)...

ahrimie
03-17-2011, 10:49 PM
These are the wrong people to ask if you think you want another stroller... the answer is almost always yes! :P

With that said, I also think you can have a BOB as your everyday stroller. I've seen plenty of them at the mall (I live in a suburb).

crl
03-17-2011, 10:50 PM
I used a Bob SU as my main stroller with ds. It was my stroller for neighborhood walks, walking to grocery store and library. I lived in a close in, pretty dense suburb at the time. I did have an umbrella stroller that I used for travel and a few times at the mall. The Bob was great for walks and okay for other things. It did not fit in small markets and the fold was pretty big, plus it was a little heavy to get in and out of the car.

Bobs are great strollers and depending on your use, one could be a nice main stroller, IMO.

(I do love my Indie though and since I don't run and I do take it to fairly tight indoor spaces, I would not trade it for a Bob.)

Catherine

arivecchi
03-18-2011, 01:21 AM
I live in the city too. I have a Mountain Buggy Swift which is a really small AT. I have used it everywhere - the L, zoo, lakefront, parks, restaurants. It fits everywhere. It is the perfect do it all stroller for Chicago. I also have a MB Terrain. I use it for running and long walks or snow. It's similar to the BOB Revo but I like the fact that it has full recline, a metal footplate and a handbrake. As PP mentioned, you cannot run with an infant, so I might hold off on that purchase for now if you keep your Vista and are unsure about what to get. Head out to Galt Baby on Clybourn and check out their AT selection so you can determine whether you want to replace your Vista for one.

KateW
03-18-2011, 01:29 AM
Thanks ladies. Yes, I should have said that I don't intend to run with DD until she's about a year. For now I just want the AT for the air tires on Chicago sidewalks. (Hi, Arivecchi. I'm in Logan Square.)

Does anyone have the Baby Jogger Summit XC? It says it's okay for "light jogging." I would typically go out for about 30-45 minutes at a 9 minute mile pace. Think that qualifies?

arivecchi
03-18-2011, 01:33 AM
Skip the baby jogger. I would go for a MB or Bob for tough city use!

poohbear
03-18-2011, 09:20 AM
Thanks ladies. Yes, I should have said that I don't intend to run with DD until she's about a year. For now I just want the AT for the air tires on Chicago sidewalks. (Hi, Arivecchi. I'm in Logan Square.)

Does anyone have the Baby Jogger Summit XC? It says it's okay for "light jogging." I would typically go out for about 30-45 minutes at a 9 minute mile pace. Think that qualifies?

For Logan Square, the BOB or MB will be great (I used to live not far from there). You could use it as your one and only if you wanted :) If you are going to jog though, go with 16 inch rear wheels (BOB revo or MB Terrain) and most pediatricians would recommend waiting until your LO is 1 year old :)

Kaylee31
03-18-2011, 11:58 AM

I ordered the Summit XC a few months ago, but I ended up returning it. I thought I would love it b/c I like my BJCM so much. It just seemed too plasticky and the tires are skinnier than a MB or BOB. I have an MB Terrain now, and it seems much more solid and better quality than the Summit.
Here's some pics of the Summit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/50172753@N03/sets/72157625538394442/

KateW
03-18-2011, 12:00 PM
I ordered the Summit XC a few months ago, but I ended up returning it. I thought I would love it b/c I like my BJCM so much. It just seemed too plasticky and the tires are skinnier than a MB or BOB. I have an MB Terrain now, and it seems much more solid and better quality than the Summit.
Here's some pics of the Summit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/50172753@N03/sets/72157625538394442/

Thank you!

babychi
03-18-2011, 12:59 PM
I have both a Vista and a BOB (and a City Mini too :) ) and IMO, they both serve different purposes.

I do use my BOB outside for walks etc... but I love to shop with the Vista because of the basket and nice ride indoors (plus it doesn't feel as huge as the BOB).

Same here (well, just a BOB and Vista...no City Mini). LOVE our Vista and still use it indoors at the mall and we are saving it for #2 for the bassinet and possible rumbleseat use. We use the BOB everytime we go outdoors though. Both great strollers, but we use them for different reasons.

I used to live in Chicago (moved to Atlanta earlier this year) and do realize that storage can be an issue in the city though. We didn't buy our BOB until we moved and had more space. Good luck with your decision! :)

ashleybama24
03-19-2011, 10:55 AM
I just sold my 2010 Vista for $475 on CL. I was at least the 3rd owner and just never loved it. For being such an expensive stroller it always felt cheap. The fact the canopy won't fully extend or that the straps felt thin drove me crazy. I personally think you need at least 2-3 strollers. An AT or jogging one, a lightweight/umbrella one for quick errands and a regular every day stroller that has options like recline for napping and cupholders for parents.

Beth24
03-19-2011, 02:15 PM
I just sold my 2010 Vista for $475 on CL. I was at least the 3rd owner and just never loved it. For being such an expensive stroller it always felt cheap. The fact the canopy won't fully extend or that the straps felt thin drove me crazy. I personally think you need at least 2-3 strollers. An AT or jogging one, a lightweight/umbrella one for quick errands and a regular every day stroller that has options like recline for napping and cupholders for parents.

This is a bit OT, but I wonder if something was wrong with your canopy. Mine provides complete coverage, more than I would ever need. I do agree that you "need" 2 or 3 strollers if want to cover all your potential strolling needs! :)

legaleagle
03-19-2011, 02:26 PM
Yes, I would double check the canopy. I know there was an issue where a bunch of them were mounted backwards (or something) and didn't extend fully. I'd call uppa even though you're not the original owner.

KateW
03-19-2011, 02:55 PM
I am the original owner, and I actually have a canopy on the way to me from Uppababy. But based on comparing mine with the ones in stores, I still don't think I like it. At least, not once I saw the canopy on the BJ strollers.:jammin:

Kaylee31
03-19-2011, 03:07 PM

:yeahthat: ITA with this. But a reversible stroller is so great to have for the first year! I wish I had gotten one from the start for DS. Next time around I plan on getting a carrycot for my AT, and using my cheap Indigo for indoors. ;)

poohbear
03-19-2011, 03:18 PM
I am the original owner, and I actually have a canopy on the way to me from Uppababy. But based on comparing mine with the ones in stores, I still don't think I like it. At least, not once I saw the canopy on the BJ strollers.:jammin:

I have a BJCM and a BOB. The canopies are comparable :)

Again, I love the idea of a reversible. If and when I have number two, I would definitely like one. But if the vista isn't doing it for you and you only want one stroller, the BOB (or MB or whatever AT you choose) can be that for you. The fold of the BOB is not super compact, but it's not huge either. If you take the rear wheels off, you could fit it in a closet. Mine fits in the trunk of my SUV without a problem (wheels on).

HTH!

ashleybama24
03-19-2011, 06:36 PM
They actually sent me a replacement canopy right before I sold it. The plastic insert had come out of the UV shade. Once installed the new one looked exactly like the old one. I guess after being use to BJ canopies that are so taut and smooth that the vista just didn't cut it for me. Anyway I was ready to try something new so it was time to sell!