PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried this Directv app for their ipad?

jess_g
03-17-2011, 07:54 PM
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/directv/mobile_apps/ipad

How does it work? Does it let you watch the shows you have recorded on your dvr on the ipad? That would be awsome and make getting an ipad so worth it. If anyone has tried this app I would love to hear a mini review of how it works for them. And would it work on an ipad1 or only on the new Ipad?

Thanks, Jessica.

BigDog
03-17-2011, 08:07 PM
This doesn't really answer your question but I have the DirecTV app on my iPhone and I know I can use it to set my DVR to record stuff. Not sure what other functionality it has. I'll have to check it out for you!

khm
03-17-2011, 08:22 PM
I've used the Directv2pc app to view stuff from my DVR (downstairs) to my laptop (upstairs).

I'd hazard a guess it is similar. Our DVR is hooked into our home network (which I'd believe it a requirement for the ipad too, check the fine print at the bottom).

It takes a bit to connect/see the DVR when I start the program from my laptop. But, once the laptop finds it, it's good to go.

I do believe there are some programs that won't play because that particular program/production company is extra worried about program theft or whatever. That is also in the fine print. I haven't had an issue with that, but I haven't used it too terribly much.

I think you'd just need a DVR that is in your home network, and an ipad wifi'd in and you are good to go.

BigDog
03-17-2011, 08:24 PM
Ok, just checked the app on my phone... not sure if it's something different than what you linked to above, but all it does is allow you to remotely record programs on your DVR. It doesn't allow you to watch recorded programs.

larig
03-17-2011, 10:07 PM
DH is downloading it now. I'll report back with an update. If it works here, that will be AWESOME!