PDA

View Full Version : Where do your kids sleep when they are vomiting?

todzwife
03-18-2011, 02:59 AM
I want to at least TRY to keep this bug from hitting us all but DD1 wants to sleep anywhere but her bed. I feel bad, but I'm keeping her in her own room w/ a towel "bridge" to the hardwood.

I'm wondering if I'm just really mean. She's 5 and doesn't seem to be throwing up as much at this point.

klwa
03-18-2011, 06:40 AM
Growing up my mom would let us sleep on the couch, with a trash can beside us.

My kids have been sleeping in their beds even when sick, but I let them on the couch during the day. I just Lysol the heck out of everything around them....

alexsmommy
03-18-2011, 07:13 AM
Wherever they are most comfortable. Couch, our bed (their own pillow), DS1 sometimes makes a "nest" of blankets on the floor. I've seen no consistent correlation between how much I isolate the sick person and who gets sick. Plus I have good nmories of being taken care of by my parents on the couch in front of the tv.

Green_Tea
03-18-2011, 08:21 AM
Wherever they are most comfortable. Couch, our bed (their own pillow), DS1 sometimes makes a "nest" of blankets on the floor. I've seen no consistent correlation between how much I isolate the sick person and who gets sick. Plus I have good nmories of being taken care of by my parents on the couch in front of the tv.

:yeahthat:

This is what we do as well. The sick person usually ends up sleeping first in our bed, and then on the couch (we have a first floor master bedroom, so the couch is in the next room.)

Dream
03-18-2011, 08:28 AM
In our bed regardless of how sick DD is. I never felt this'll make us catch the bug. I just want to keep her comfortable.

Twoboos
03-18-2011, 09:02 AM
My kids have been sleeping in their beds even when sick, but I let them on the couch during the day. I just Lysol the heck out of everything around them....

:yeahthat: Their bed during the night, towel over the pillow/side of bed and under the puke bucket.

Couch during the day, same setup with the towel.

Honestly, I am mean but I have never understood bringing a puker into my bed. There is NO WAY I would risk stray puke in my bed.

elephantmeg
03-18-2011, 09:10 AM
their bed with towels or the couch. DH would flip if I brought a puker to bed!

o_mom
03-18-2011, 09:19 AM
Honestly, I am mean but I have never understood bringing a puker into my bed. There is NO WAY I would risk stray puke in my bed.

For us, it's the matter of wanting to be able to sleep. Until they are old enough to either hit a bucket consistently or get to the bathroom, every unattended puke would end in a full change of bedding, PJs, etc. Even with towels, etc., they would manage to get it somewhere. If I'm right there with them, I can assist and get it in a bucket - 3 min cleanup vs. 30 min cleanup. With a kid puking every hour... well, no sleep if I leave them alone in their room. At least if I am sleeping next to them, I can catch some Z's between the hurling and my bed is a whole lot comfier than the floor of their room.

We usually bring them in our room at night, either on our bed or on the floor. During the day they are on the couch (covered with a waterproof mattress pad) so they can watch TV and hopefully not wander off the protected zone.

redstone
03-18-2011, 10:45 AM
My DD just recovered from a week-long stomach bug. Five days of vomiting. It was awful. During the day she rested on the couch that we first covered in towels. At night she slept in our bed.

Melanie
03-18-2011, 11:08 AM
Mine have loft beds, so when ill with stomach issues they sleep on the floor (on blankets, etc.) with a bowl near them. But we have a carpeted floor. If not I'd probably do an air bed on the floor.

cono0507
03-18-2011, 11:12 AM
Their own bed at night (and I often will sleep in their room with them).
During the day - I have an old picnic blanket (so waterproof on one side, soft on the other) that I put on the sofa for them to lay on.

Edensmum
03-18-2011, 12:18 PM
DS is vomiting now and he's only one. He usually sleeps with us and he is still doing so. Well really me, dh often spends at least part of the night with dd.
I have a water proof mattress cover and sheets with washable chucks type pads covering the bed so I can remove dirties and replace and have a clean dry place to sleep easily. He will starting vomiting while sleeping and I'd be too afraid he'd choke to leave him alone. At this age he doesn't aim so I have a bunch of flat cloth dipes to catch with and the washer goes nearly constantly. Fun times.

sunriseiz
03-18-2011, 10:21 PM
Mine have loft beds, so when ill with stomach issues they sleep on the floor (on blankets, etc.) with a bowl near them. But we have a carpeted floor. If not I'd probably do an air bed on the floor.

This is what we did the last time for night sleeping. Day time was on the couch covered in towels. The one we had was awful and in the end I don't think there was any way to keep others from getting it...this one was just very contagious. :( Hope all is better soon.

infomama
03-18-2011, 10:27 PM
Wherever they are most comfortable.
:yeahthat: Being sick sucks so wherever they want to be is fine with me. I disinfect with Lysol wipes and vinegar spray (full strength).

ha98ed14
03-18-2011, 10:43 PM
: Their bed during the night, towel over the pillow/side of bed and under the puke bucket.

Couch during the day, same setup with the towel.

:yeahthat: except DD won't stay on the couch when sick. She still moves around. We put a beach towel under her bed because she has carpet in her room and I don't even wanna think about that...

kristenk
03-18-2011, 10:44 PM
We make the couch up with sheets, blankets, etc. and let DD sleep out there. There's a recliner next to the couch, so DH or I take turns staying out there. The TV's also out there and that seems to provide a bit of diversion when she's miserable.

nellonello
03-18-2011, 10:48 PM
We set up a bunch of blankets To make a bed on the bathroom floor. Easy access to the toilet. We will put the portable DVD player in their for entertainment.

scriptkitten
03-18-2011, 10:48 PM
we have double stomach flus at my house this week.

times like this i'm glad we sprung for a leather couch and hardwood floors.

i've only had one puke event in the cribs. awful. i had to replace DSs pillow because he puked up something purple that won't come out. purple? he didn't even eat anything purple for days!!!

hillview
03-19-2011, 11:37 AM
His bed -- I will sometimes go to sleep with him for a few hours if very sick.
/hillary

MommyAllison
03-19-2011, 04:09 PM
DD usually stays in her bed now, with lots of towels and a bowl nearby. DS we've usually brought into our bed, with lots of towels, because he just goes right back to sleep without us knowing he's been sick (ick!). When DD was younger, she came into our bed too, so we could keep a closer eye on her.

Now DD is in a loft bed though, and I've been wondering what we'd do - really don't want to clean up a mess up there! So thank you, Melanie, for saying what you do w/kids in loft beds. :)

ETA: Our kids are pretty much always sick at night, and have stopped throwing up by morning. During the day though, we cover the couch with towels and let them hang out there.

YouAreTheFocus
03-19-2011, 04:43 PM
Mine is still in a crib, and that's where he stays when sick/vomiting. He sleeps better in his crib, and we sleep better when he's not in our bed. Besides, it is way easier to clean up his crib than our bed, and it contains the throw up to a small area.