PDA

View Full Version : What do you do for a puking 10 month old?

todzwife
03-18-2011, 09:26 AM
Sorry for all the barf posts. The stomach bug is in full swing at our house and DH just left for work so I've got 2 puking kids and a 10 month old I'm just waiting for the other ball to drop.

I've never had a baby under 15 months get a stomach bug. The whole prospect frightens me as both of my other 2 have ended up in the ER for dehydration early on. I have zofran I've given BOTH of the older 2 (script from the ped) but what do I do for the baby?

Thankfully I'm still nursing. She MAY have already had a touch of it. She woke Tuesday really gaggy when trying to nurse and has progressively nastier poo for the last 4 days. She ran a low grade fever. And she has also not touched ANY solid food since Monday. (again THANK GOODNESS we are nursing).

I'm wondering if it's roto/rota because DD1 (5 YO) has uncontrollable diarrhea in addition to vomiting, DD2 had a fever, gagged a lot and has nasty poo starting Tuesday, and now DS just threw up. DD2 had the roto vax, both of my other 2 have had roto before but were not vaccinated for it.

I am so tired. Sorry if this isn't making sense.

Katigre
03-18-2011, 09:45 AM
If you are still nursing that is super helpful because breastmilk counts as a 'clear fluid' and is rapidly digested. Her risk of dehydration is actually lower than if she was older and off of bm.

tribe pride
03-18-2011, 09:59 AM
We just got over the stomach flu at our house- both DH and our 11 month old had it. For the baby, we were also still nursing, which was wonderful because breastmilk seemed to be the only thing he could keep down consistently. So, I nursed him at his regular times (4x per day), and also tried giving him smaller amounts of easy-to-digest foods throughout the day. He did pretty well with cheerios, so I gave him him maybe 1/4 cup every couple of hours. Usually he could keep those down. During the worst of the illness, I gave up trying to give any solids, since he couldn't keep them down. After 2 or 3 days when he seemed to be slowly recovering, I started out feeding 1 jar of baby food (easy stuff, like bananas and apples) at lunch and dinner, and then slowly worked up to more jars. It's been a week and half since DS got sick, and we're just now getting back to normal amounts of food.

If DD can keep your breastmilk down, that should help her to both stay hydrated and get nutrients she needs. My ped recommended either nursing more often if that was the only food my baby could handle, or giving formula in addition to your regular nursings. You could also try pedialyte, although DS refused to drink it (ped said it tasted pretty bad).

Also, when I wasn't able to physically carry DS around with me, I kept him in the high chair a bit. That way he was confined and I didn't need to worry about him getting sick all over the house, and clean up was a lot easier. I could just sit with him, read stories, etc. while he was in his seat.

So sorry your little ones are sick, especially the baby. :( Hope y'all are feeling better soon!