PDA

View Full Version : Britax frontier 85 for 3 year old.

crazydiamond
03-18-2011, 10:36 AM
We have had a Britax Boulevard. It has been a nice seat, but our soon to be 3 year old DD is tall girl (38 inches, 33 lbs) and we have started to have issues with that darn single position buckle. I had hoped to get another year or two out of the boulevard.

So we are thinking it is time to look into a Britax frontier 85. She exceeds the seat minimum age and weight, but it seem like alot of folks don't move into this kind of seat until their kids are 4-5.

Any issues in moving to this seat now?

Tajsa
03-18-2011, 10:59 AM
Nope there's no issues. She meets the minimum and will be safe in the frontier. Make sure to top tether it. :)

smiles33
03-18-2011, 11:08 AM
I moved DD1 into her Frontier (the first-gen one) about 6 months before she turned 4 because DD2 hated her infant seat. If your DD is already outgrowing the crotch belt area (and you're not trying to keep her RF'ing as long as humanly possible), I would feel perfectly confident moving her into the Frontier 85.

I'm guessing that most folks prefer to hold off on buying the next seat up to ensure longevity of the seat (since the Frontier expires in 9 years and if you have subsequent children, you'll want to time that expiration period). If it weren't for DD2, I would have waited until DD1 outgrew the BLVD.

Joolsplus2
03-18-2011, 11:08 AM
Yup, perfectly safe. It's just that kids are all different shapes and I think 'most' don't have an issue being in the old convertible Britaxes till they are older. I got my Frontier when dd2 was 2 and we've always loved the fit and sleep comfort of it for her :thumbsup:

wendibird22
03-18-2011, 11:27 AM
DD1 is 3.5yo and was moved to a FR85 a few months ago when DD2 outgrew her snugride. She loves the FR and says it's comfy.

crazydiamond
03-18-2011, 12:22 PM
Thanks folks -I will order it!

You know the new Britax Boulevards and other models have multi-position buckle (crotch) adjustments. If I had that - we could have extended the life of the seat, but if I am going to buy a new one might as will go with something that will go another 9 years.

AnnieW625
03-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Yup, perfectly safe. It's just that kids are all different shapes and I think 'most' don't have an issue being in the old convertible Britaxes till they are older. I got my Frontier when dd2 was 2 and we've always loved the fit and sleep comfort of it for her :thumbsup:

Jools picture of her DD2 in the Frontier at 2 was a big factor in me getting the seat for my almost 3 yr. old just over 2 yrs. ago. DD1 was 34 mos. old, 30lbs, and 36" tall when we moved her to the Frontier.

bubbaray
03-18-2011, 01:18 PM
I moved my DD#2 into the original FR a few months before she turned 3 because I was rear-ended and had to trash her MA. She LOVES the FR, its like a Lazy-Boy recliner!

carolinamama
03-18-2011, 04:39 PM
I have a feeling that we will be moving DS2 to a FR85 much sooner than DS1 moved from a MA to one last year. DS2 is much bigger and has started complaining about the crotch strap. So far it hasn't been too big of a deal, but if it keeps up, I'd hate for him to feel so uncomfortable everytime he rides in a car. Sounds like a good move for your DD.

lorinick
03-18-2011, 09:41 PM
Just switced my ds2 from the BV65 to the Frontier. My ds still fits in the BV and were still using it in another car. I switched because I got tired of lifting him into it. He just waits to be put into the seat. He doesn't get in or try to buckle himself. We are really like the seat. Love the recline and looks super comfy as well.

ahrimie
03-18-2011, 09:54 PM
My DD is about the same as yours and will be 3 in May (38-39" and 30 lbs) but I guess I haven't noticed the buckle being a bother for us. I didn't even know another seat was an option.. good to know!

Can anyone tell me how long my DD can stay in her Boulevard?

lorinick
03-18-2011, 10:00 PM
My DD is about the same as yours and will be 3 in May (38-39" and 30 lbs) but I guess I haven't noticed the buckle being a bother for us. I didn't even know another seat was an option.. good to know!

Still a while for most children. My ds will turn 4 in Aug. has plenty of room. He isn't bothered by the buckle in the BV or MA.

Joolsplus2
03-19-2011, 09:00 AM

Till her shoulders creep above the top harness position. The buckle was never a problem for my girl, and she was in the seat till she was 6 and about 45-46 inches tall. Heck, she was still rearfacing till she was over 41" tall, too, at age 4.5 :D

crazydiamond
03-19-2011, 10:14 AM
Went with the Onyx (over rushmore). A difficult seat to find. My top choices - Albeebaby and Amazon, were out of stock. Got it from an amazon partner, tip toe turtle.

Joolsplus2
03-19-2011, 10:54 AM
Cool! You'll love it, I'm sure (post back with any installation questions...not that it's 'hard', but it's a very different shape from the convertibles, and you have to pull belts at weird angles to get things tightened, sometimes :)