PDA

View Full Version : Need to get this off my chest but can't say anything IRL

mariza
03-18-2011, 12:14 PM
I switched divisions at work and my new boss offered to take me and my trainer to lunch so here I am in the back seat of his car next to a Nautilus that is used for his 10 month old :(.
I need to find a way to work the rear facing law into lunch conversation! He has been overseas and this is his first baby so I'm sure it's a matter of just not knowing. Ugh!

trcy
03-18-2011, 12:21 PM
Hmm...maybe you could play dumb about his child's age? Say something like "Oh, I didn't realize your son/daughter was a year already. What did you do for the birthday party?" Good luck!

MamaMichelle
03-18-2011, 04:27 PM
I'm not so sure that you can't be direct with him. Just say it in an honest, non-judgmental way that it's generally recommended that kids under such and such weight and height should be RF. You can even mention this and other websites where he can verify for himself. Unless he's an absolute jerk, I think he'd appreciate your honesty and concern.

Snow mom
03-18-2011, 06:23 PM
Personally I'd leave this one alone. Lots of people FF too young and in many cases it's not because they "don't know better." People have different priorities (priorities I often don't understand) but I wouldn't touch your new bosses decisions about their child with a 10 foot poll. Maybe if he was your BFF, but we've all seen how badly even that can go.

wellyes
03-18-2011, 07:28 PM
I wouldn't say anything. They ask about RF at every pediatrician appointment the first year. I am betting he knows but disregards it. The same way the majority of people kind of shrug off the doc's advice to eat right, exercise and lose weight at physicals.

I think really, the only thing we can do about other people's car seat choices -- aside from talking about it places like here -- is to model ERF. The more people do it, the more normal it seems.

I also wish more people knew about the Evenflo Symphony. People use an infant seat until the kid outgrows it, then straight to the Nautilus. But with the Symphony, you can RF, FF and use it as a booster.

YouAreTheFocus
03-18-2011, 08:01 PM
While it would drive me nuts, I wouldn't say anything either. My friend flipped her kid right at 1 (I realize this is different b/c at least it was in line w/ the law) b/c "he wanted to be able to see." I didn't say anything b/c it had already been done and I didn't feel like getting into it w/ her. I definitely wouldn't w/ a boss. But I tend to avoid confrontation :)

As an aside, my ped has never mentioned a thing about carseats. I wonder how much I would know about RF/ERF if I wasn't on this board & super nuts about researching stuff. None of my fam/friends/daycare contacts are aware at all.

jenm
03-20-2011, 03:47 PM
One of my boys was so tall that his knees were constantly bent and off to the side, just so that he could squeeze his feet against the back of the seat. Our doctor told us that this was a bigger safety issue than his neck, because of just how much extra leg length he had, and to turn him around early. Maybe this baby is just monsterously large, like mine.

wellyes
03-20-2011, 05:12 PM
jenm, your doc was flat-out wrong. The length of a child's legs and the child's feet hitting the seat back have no impact on car seat safety -- See the stickies on the top of this forum for information on why, including the American Academy of Pediatrics recommendation to rear face as long as possible.

My DD will be 3 next week and is still rear-facing for hopefully another year:thumbsup:.

scriptkitten
03-20-2011, 05:43 PM
Some people are just irresponsible. I know a couple who has been letting their kids ride with no seat belts from 1yr up. I am NOT exaggerating.

hillview
03-20-2011, 06:16 PM
I would not bring it up to a boss who I didn't have a fantastic relationship with.
/hillary

mariza
03-20-2011, 09:08 PM
Yeah, I didn't say anything and likely won't. That's why I'm happy to have you guys as a sounding board :). and to the PP who's pediatrician recommended turning based on long legs, I am truly shocked. I have never heard that before, I always figured cramped legs were better than the alternative :eek:

babyonway
03-20-2011, 11:15 PM
I wouldn't say anything. They ask about RF at every pediatrician appointment the first year.

As an aside, my ped has never mentioned a thing about carseats. I wonder how much I would know about RF/ERF if I wasn't on this board & super nuts about researching stuff. None of my fam/friends/daycare contacts are aware at all.

:yeahthat:

My ped has never said anything to me about RF at all. Has never come up. I wouldn't know about it either is it wasn't for this board :thanks: