PDA

View Full Version : Need Double Advice

indigo99
03-18-2011, 12:42 PM
When DC #2 is born later this year, I will have a newborn and a 2 year old so I wanted to start looking for a double stroller. I've been trying to research on this forum and am overwhelmed so I'm hoping to get a bit of direction.

I currently use a Mac xlr as our main stroller and am very happy with it. Even though it came with an infant seat adapter, I started out using a snap-and-go because it was so light and easy. With the double, I've considered using some sort of snap-and-go double before switching to a regular double or else I want something that will accept the graco snugride 35.

Weight/size are a big issue for me since I have to fold and lift it into the back of the CRV on my own. The xlr is heavy by Mac standards, but it's under 17lb and doesn't take up too much room.

Push and maneuverability are a factor. I love that my Mac can get around the aisles in stores. We will use the stroller for walks in the neighborhood and park, but it will mainly stay in the car and be used when I run errands or go shopping.

Canopy is important. I love the xlr canopy.

Full recline is important (for one seat at least).

I want DS to have a real seat with harness as he'll only be just 2 when the baby is born.

DH and I are above-average height so it is important that there be room for us to walk behind the stroller without hitting it. That seems like it would be difficult with some of the strollers that have add-on seats at the back (like the b-ready).

I really appreciate anyone taking the time to offer some advice or point me toward helpful threads. I know that lots of people ask similar questions to this, but it's so hard to weed through all the threads, especially when they're using stroller acronyms that I don't know yet.

ETA: I know that the good strollers are $, but I would like to stay below $450.

arivecchi
03-18-2011, 12:52 PM
BJCMD from Albee Baby. $299 right now.

ElspethCordelia
03-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Do you have any local stores that sell Phil & Teds or B-Readys? I'm not too tall(5'8"), but have super-long legs. I've tried both out in the store and I never hit my feet. It's worth a try at least.

ryanmom
03-18-2011, 01:53 PM
I'd recommend the Baby Jogger City Mini Double.

Weight/size are a big issue for me since I have to fold and lift it into the back of the CRV on my own. The xlr is heavy by Mac standards, but it's under 17lb and doesn't take up too much room.

The fold is obscenely easy and for a double it will be probably among the easiest to lift.

Push and maneuverability are a factor. I love that my Mac can get around the aisles in stores. We will use the stroller for walks in the neighborhood and park, but it will mainly stay in the car and be used when I run errands or go shopping.

The push on the baby joggers is fairly good. The tires are not air tires but they are better than umbrella stroller tires. For a double it will be fairly maneuverable.

Canopy is important. I love the xlr canopy.
The Baby Jogger canopies are great-- they have peekaboo windows and come way down.
Full recline is important (for one seat at least).
I have the baby jogger city classic double and the seats recline all the way so you can use it with an infant which is nice. We didn't use it until my little one was about 3 mos old but that is because we use it for a nanny share. I'm pg with my second and am guessing when we need a stroller for two, we'll use this with the full recline for the baby.
I want DS to have a real seat with harness as he'll only be just 2 when the baby is born.

DH and I are above-average height so it is important that there be room for us to walk behind the stroller without hitting it. That seems like it would be difficult with some of the strollers that have add-on seats at the back (like the b-ready).
My husband is 6'2 and has no problems with the Baby Jogger Double.

ryanmom
03-18-2011, 01:54 PM
oops-- forgot to respond to one of your points-- it is a side by side, so your DS will have his own seat with a harness.

indigo99
03-18-2011, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the replies so far. Wouldn't the side-by-side by more difficult to push around stores? I'm thinking about Kohls (not the main aisles but between clothes racks) and clothes stores at the mall. I also want to be sure that buggies will fit by me in stores like Ross, Target, Home Goods since I will be using the stroller in stores a lot.

ElspethCordelia, do you use it with a baby carrier or extra seat on the bottom? I don't think it would be an issue otherwise, but photos of the stroller with a seat down below look like the seat comes out further than the handlebar. I'm pretty sure that I would be hitting it.

We have a BRU and a Baby Depot (Burlington). Do they carry these?

ckelly
03-18-2011, 08:16 PM
I tried out a bready at a buy buy baby. I'm 5'8 and have a long stride and don't kick the lower seat. I did however on the p&t explorer. I think a lot has to do with the way you walk. If I slowed down my stride with the p&t I didn't kick it....