PDA

View Full Version : Post your kid brags!

crl
03-18-2011, 01:46 PM
I want to brag about my 7 year old.

I had his parent teacher conference this week. His teacher started by telling me that what she really likes about ds is how kind and caring he is. She said he always asks about kids who are out sick and he always goes to comfort kids who are crying on the playground. :love-retry:

She also said that he is always, always attentive and on task in the classroom. :cheerleader1:

All this from a kid who we were told was moderately autistic (idiot doctor) and who was so unfocussed at 4 that he required a special education aid to sit with him to get him to sit still long enough to write his name. He was discharged from special education entirely this year and is in a regular first grade classroom.

He has come a loooonnnngggg way!

Brag about your kid too!

Catherine

HIU8
03-18-2011, 01:52 PM
DD is 3 1/2. Her birthday is June. She is in a preschool class with kids who, for the most part, have already turned 4 (started turning 4 last September). One of her teachers pulled me aside yesterday to tell me how wonderfully DD is doing. She said there is very little difference between DD and the kids who have been 4 for some time now. I'm happy b/c DD is the youngest in the class and we were not sure she would mesch well with the class age dynamic this year.

AnnieW625
03-18-2011, 01:54 PM
You have a great son!

Not really a kid brag per-se but DD1 got into the Catholic school we want her to go to in the fall. It was the one school that after the open house she asked "Mommy can I go to kindergarten here?" I don't believe admissions were really strict, just basic knowledge and registered in the parish, but we feel very happy that she'll attend school there.

pinkmomagain
03-18-2011, 01:55 PM
Do I have to pick just one? Ha ha.
My 14yo (freshman) applied for a leadership program at her hs...71 applicants and only 15 spots. She got in and was told she got the highest score of all the applicants.

Catherine - I just love that story...it really shows how kids can change/grow/mature. Awesome.

AngelaS
03-18-2011, 02:07 PM
My 8 yo recited TEN Bible verses at AWANA the other night. She totally had them down and is still walking around reciting them. And...she memorized them without any help from me. :)

crl
03-18-2011, 02:27 PM
Great stories. Wow, that many bible verses, impressive.

And no, you are not limited to one. Brag away!

Catherine

sste
03-18-2011, 02:32 PM
We were at a waterpark resort and I saw 3 y/o DS eying some 8 or 9 year old girls doing the wild run down the hotel corridor. I told him, "Older kids do that and when you are older you will run down the halls too!" Well, of course, after that he refused to walk down any hallway and ran down them all saying he was like the older kids. But, he DIDN'T fall!! I have posted here previously that DS could not run without falling and was constantly bumping into everything and I truly feared that he had inherited my own charlie brown syndrome.

But, on a poster's advice (thank you egoldberg!) we had his eyes checked and I have noticed a very big improvement with his new glasses!!

JoyNChrist
03-18-2011, 02:50 PM
DS1 still loves his baby brother and sister so much. I have never seen a kid act this way around babies. He just can't get enough of them. He asks about them constantly, has to kiss them first thing in the morning, never gets jealous, and would totally take care of them all by himself if he could. It's the sweetest thing I've ever seen.

DS2 is sleeping through the night!

DD...is awfully cute. Which is a good thing, because I might have returned her by now if she wasn't. ;)

lhafer
03-18-2011, 02:55 PM
My baby just turned 1 year old Feb. 22nd. So far she can say Mama and Dada, and recently her next words have been...Thank You!! :love-retry:

It's the cutest thing ever to hear her say it. She always says it appropriately too, after I buckle her seat belt, hand her something, etc.

AnnieW625
03-18-2011, 02:55 PM
Should've added before DD2 is finally realizing that she is going to have to crawl because she can't stand by herself yet (does fine when we hold her) and while she doesn't like it much she still manages to smile.

KpbS
03-18-2011, 03:00 PM
At a recent parent-teacher conference, DS1's kindergarten teacher shared with me DS's enthusiasm about their reading evaluations. He asked for the most difficult material and did very well. He tested at a 5th grade reading level :)

Since then his Sunday school teacher told me he was the Bible reader for the class and volunteers to help in the classroom when needed.

Melaine
03-18-2011, 03:07 PM
DDs have been going to the childcare at the YMCA several times a week for about a month. They are doing great! I'm so relieved. And I have heard them speak outloud in public a couple times over the last couple weeks. This is crazy stuff for us!

Also, the other day in the card DD2 had a deck of cards and I told her to give DD1 5 cards. I heard DD1 say, "Ok, that's 1 you still have to give me 4." Then, "That's 2 you still have to give me 3". I told her she was doing math and she said, "What's math?"

elephantmeg
03-18-2011, 03:11 PM
DD (3 today!) can count to 30(!), knows the days of the week, and I think is ready for K, lol. Her pre-K teachers say she adopts all the younger students and takes care of them. She is very much the mother hen.

DS has really blossomed this year, will talk with people (still doesn't like to shake hands though). His big accomplishment is getting over his huge dislike of loud sounds like the vaccuum cleaners-we went to K open house yesterday and they were cleaning up one of the rooms (aftermath of leprechauns, lol) and he didn't even flinch. A year ago he would not have gone into the room. I was explaining to him how he won't go to K until August and started with "this is March and then" he chimed in and finished April, May, June, July, Aug. And this morning as he was walking out of the door he looked at the box of plums and said "mom we still have 6 plums left!" Um, yeah

Cam&Clay
03-18-2011, 03:44 PM
DS1 plays travel soccer at a very high level. This season, he was promoted to the A level team. His coach emailed me today with a glowing review of his skills and said that he not only has college potential as a goalkeeper, but professional potential, too. Guess I'll keep taking him to practice...

DS2 is, well, learning to control his temper!

crl
03-18-2011, 09:50 PM
I love these! Anyone else?

Catherine

kijip
03-18-2011, 09:55 PM
F is so easy going and polite. He says please, thank you and you are welcome on his own without reminding all the time. After T, who can be rather serious and aloof on the social stuff, this is really nice to see.

Last year at pinewood derby T was a good sport about not making it past the semi finals. He just doubled his effort this year and got really intent on the axels and engineering side of things...making sure the car went perfectly straight. This year he was a very good, low key winner and complimented other cars and did not do any rubbing in like some of the boys seemed to do. He also offered to help another boy with his car next year. I was pleased he won his den level but I was more pleased he was nice about it and that he did the work himself.

Kira's Mommy
03-18-2011, 10:04 PM
Catherine, love your story! Your DS rocks :jammin:

The VERY day my mat leave ended and I went back to work DD finally started sleeping through the night :boogie:

army_mom
03-18-2011, 10:28 PM
Such great accomplishments of everyone's DC!

Today DD sang her ABCs and got them all correct! :cheerleader1: Then she sang us (her version) of twinkle twinkle little star. She amazes us every day with her new knowledge!
And she has now been (daytime) potty trained for 3 weeks!! :yay: (pretty much her doing!)

twowhat?
03-18-2011, 10:33 PM
Our 2.5 yos can draw smiley faces!!! I'm sure tons of other 2yos can too, but I just think it's the coolest thing ever.

elliput
03-19-2011, 09:21 AM
My brag isn't very impressive academically, but is definitely worth mentioning- my 2.5 yo DS scaled the picket fence yesterday. :eek: Yeah, not exactly a good thing as he was running around the neighborhood for about 5 minutes before I found him.

WatchingThemGrow
03-19-2011, 10:27 AM
These are truly cool!

Not a kid brag, but my DH went to a kid behavior workshop at our church this morning BY HIMSELF!!! I'm so very thrilled he realized the need and took the time to go learn how to speak to them positively and encourage good behavior. I had it on my calendar, but never formally signed up. Things were falling apart around here this morning, kids are sick, and I just suggested he go. He happily left me here with 3 crying kids, lol.

♥ms.pacman♥
03-19-2011, 10:59 AM
this isn't a kid brag, but just something funny/cute my DS (14mo) did. just yesterday DH was feeding DS some yogurt (YoToddler) and on the carton was a picture of an elderly-looking doctor (grey hair, receding hairline, glasses, etc). DS kept pointing to it and saying "Dada!!" LOL. DH (who doesn't have grey hair, but often deals with people assuming he's much older than he really is) was like, "nooo, that's not Dada!", but DS kept insisting. DH was like, "So, is that what you think of me, an old man??" LOL. It made my day, especially because just a few weeks earlier, while in line at a grocery store, DS pointed to a magazine with Eva Longoria on the cover and said "Mama!!" :loveeyes: hehe!

blue
03-19-2011, 11:52 PM
DS (almost 2) learned a new sign last week! (he doesn't talk well, so I am still introducing new signs occasionally). It was the sign for where and he learned it by the end oh the day- yay.

DS learned to say a new word this week too - excuse me. He even used it properly at the grocery store today. He said it whenever we were trying to get by other shoppers and carts. No one else understood what he said, but I am still proud :love-retry:

YouAreTheFocus
03-20-2011, 02:44 AM
Not only did my 17 mo old wake up at 9am (thanks for letting Mama sleep in!) he then proceeded to entertain himself by pretending to make phone calls--"Hello? HELLLLOOOO? Mmmhmmm, mmmhmmm, k, k. Bye. BYE. BYYYYYE!!!!"

I love hearing him talk, it is so freakin cute. He's up to about 20 words now!

kozachka
03-20-2011, 04:25 AM
It is difficult to admit to in a public forum, but I am refusing to play chess with my 7 year old DS because he wins almost all the time, even when I am trying to think through the moves. He's been taking chess classes for a few months now and I never did, but still... DS promised to go easy on me and to give me hints re: moves if I agree to play with me. My professor suggested I do Ph.D. in game theory upon graduation from one of the top business schools and I do strategy for a living, so I am more than just a bit surprised and humbled.

DS is also helping me learn Taekwondo. He is a blue black belt, and I just started so am a white belt, so DS is giving me tips. DS broke two boards held together during his previous test, I don't know when I'd be able to do that. And DS is already a far better swimmer than I, except for the backstroke, which he can't master for some reason.

DS has been released from ESL program into the regular classroom after a 1 year and 7 months, and he did not live in US before starting 1st grade so did not have even passive exposure to English. He also managed to joke and be funny within weeks of starting to learn the language. And he knows how to give comliments to ladies, which is probably he knows so many girls at school.

crl
03-20-2011, 10:21 AM
:applause:

We have some awesome kids (and dh's)!

Thanks for sharing! I love reading these.

Catherine

kboyle
03-20-2011, 11:01 AM
my 7yo is almost finished reading the 3rd Harry Potter book (in about 2 wks time)...i'm so happy he's a reader!

my 5yo is about done having croup...not a brag, but i'm so happy that we're almost thru with it!

my 3yo is really excelling at identifying his letters!

goldenpig
03-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Wow, some amazing kids! Very cool. Love the stories! That's so great that your son is doing so well, crl!

I don't like to brag (because my mom liked to show off her kids and always bragged to everyone about us, in front of us, which we hated) but since this is pretty anonymous, I'll add my brags:

1. Both of my DC seem to be advanced in the language department. DD started signing at 7 months. At two she knew her colors and at 2.5 knew all the uppercase/lowercase letters and phonics. At 3.25 she was writing her name and all the letters and wrote all her own Valentine's cards for the whole class, and was the youngest at our library to get her own library card by writing her first and last name. Now at 3.5 she is reading by herself, even longer/compound words. It is so cute to see her reading board books to her brother. She can also count to and read numbers 1-100. Her teachers say she is "amazing" and the only 3 year old in the class doing those things. DS just turned 1 and at his checkup the ped asked if he could say 1 or two words yet. I said he could say 15 words and sign 15 more and he couldn't believe it. My nanny brought the kids for a playdate with her nanny friend who had a 1 and 5 year old and she said her friend was "shocked and jealous" of how smart our kids were because the other 1 year old "just sat there" and couldn't talk and the 5 year old couldn't read. I'm glad our nanny is proud of our kids! :D

ETA: Today DD wrote "nessere" on a piece of paper. I asked her what she wrote and she said "necessary". LOL! I didn't even know she knew that word!

2. DD and DS have such a good relationship. They get along really well and very rarely fight, unlike a lot of other sibling pairs we know. They do fight over toys occasionally, but they're pretty good about sharing. DD really loves her brother and is such a good big sister. She always wants to help me take care of him (helping with changing diapers, bringing him things, etc). She will protect him if he does something dangerous (she grabs choking hazards out of his hands and tells me if he's about to fall) and comforts him if he cries. She's always saying "I love my baby brother!" The teachers say she talks about him all the time at preschool. All last year, she kept telling everyone she saw (including random strangers) "I have a baby brother!" Whenever she sees him, she runs up and gives him a big hug and kiss. DS breaks into a big smile whenever he sees DD, crawls up to her and hugs and kisses her too. It's so sweet! :love5: It makes me want to have another but I'm a little afraid of rocking the boat/pressing my luck!

Gena
03-20-2011, 11:25 AM
All this from a kid who we were told was moderately autistic (idiot doctor) and who was so unfocussed at 4 that he required a special education aid to sit with him to get him to sit still long enough to write his name. He was discharged from special education entirely this year and is in a regular first grade classroom.

That's great!

DS is doing wonderfully well with partial mainstreaming this year. They have increased his time in the regular first grade classroom (with an aide) to about 60% of his day. His classroom skills have improved a lot and he even participates in class. He's become a lot more independent and self-aware as result (which has resulted in some very frustrating behaviors, but we're working on them). I meet with his teachers last week for a conference / pre-IEP meeting and next year they would like to increase his time in the regular classroom.

Dr C
03-20-2011, 12:09 PM
Everybody has such amazing stories!! Catherine, I am particularly impressed by your little guy's story. He's come a long way!!

Here are mine:

DS (4.5) did a great job at his first soccer practice of the season last week (in a new league). He is the smallest and youngest kid out there (August birthday in a U6 league--he looked very confused when they said "all the five year olds go over here!") but he had no fear going up against bigger kids and scored two goals in their small-sided game.

DD (17 months) just learned to climb a ladder and go down a slide by herself! She can also sit and "read" a book by herself. She makes up all the words in her own little language. It's very cute.

DH has finally learned to do little girl hair! I was very amused yesterday when I lamented that I didn't have an elastic to tie DD's hair back, and he said "Wait... I have one here" and pulled one out of his pocket. Sometimes (often!) I think he's a better mama than I am! :-)

Maxlee
03-22-2011, 05:16 AM
DD1 got into first choice gifted school for Kindergarten next year :bighand:

DD2 ( 2 1/2) has had a scooter for a few days and is already scooting like a pro :cheerleader1: