PDA

View Full Version : Gift ideas for 4 y/o that don't take up a lot of space?

jent
03-18-2011, 02:30 PM
So, DD will be turning 4 at the end of next month, and then we will be moving about 1.5 months after that. We haven't found our new place yet (will be renting) but most likely it will be smaller than what we have now, so I really want to minimize stuff (I'm currently in the middle of downsizing).

Any ideas? This would be for a gift list for mainly family. My dad in particular likes to get a "wow" gift, like $100 range.

I already have lots of books, music, books on tape on her Amazon wishlist that got bypassed at Christmastime, but I'll leave it on there and email the list around again. (It's not that they ignored the wishlist, they just bypassed the books/music/books on tape).

The hard part of this is that I don't feel like DD "needs" anything. She plays quite nicely with what she has right now. But my family (Dad in particular) are big on gift giving (the whole "love languages" thing).

crl
03-18-2011, 02:38 PM
Is there a children's museum or zoo where you will be moving? Membership there? Or some kind of classes there? Might also be a nice way to meet people? I'm not sure how far you are moving. Just thinking of experiences so you don't have to move things. A day at an amusement park?

Small things like a rainbow of playsilks?

Art supplies that might get used up before the move?

Catherine

ahisma
03-18-2011, 02:42 PM
Magna Tiles!

I often say that we could ditch all of our toys and just keep the Magna Tiles. LOVE them. They're super compact when you stack them up.

jent
03-18-2011, 02:44 PM
Magna Tiles!

Have 'em!

That was actually Dad's "wow" gift for Xmas (along w/ many others...) and DD loves them (us too).

ETA: and we have playsilks too. They also get a lot of play.

We're moving to Boston area, so memberships might be a good idea... I'll have to figure out what's local to our new area.

SnuggleBuggles
03-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Bike? I know it's big but it's something that would be stored outside or in a garage. :)

Beth

bubbaray
03-18-2011, 03:02 PM
Ikea play tent -- it folds up quite small. Rose Petal Cottage stuff folds up (though it is a PITA to assemble).

elephantmeg
03-18-2011, 03:05 PM
bitty baby and/or clothes/more stuff for it
leapster and games (might be nice for traveling)
dvd player and dvds

MamaMolly
03-18-2011, 03:13 PM
When we moved I packed Lula's play tent and fold up tunnels in our box to be opened right away. They are great for all kinds of pretend play and then fold up and get stuck behind the sofa. I think PlayHut makes them.

jent
03-18-2011, 03:17 PM
Bike? I know it's big but it's something that would be stored outside or in a garage. :)
Beth

This is going to be our "big" gift to her, if she's big enough for a bike (she's quite short, takes after me).

Ikea play tent -- it folds up quite small. Rose Petal Cottage stuff folds up (though it is a PITA to assemble).

When we moved I packed Lula's play tent and fold up tunnels in our box to be opened right away. They are great for all kinds of pretend play and then fold up and get stuck behind the sofa. I think PlayHut makes them.

Great ideas! We have a tunnel but not a tent.

bitty baby and/or clothes/more stuff for it
leapster and games (might be nice for traveling)

Both good ideas. We have a Corolle Calin and clothes so I've avoided getting a Bitty Baby b/c I feel like it's duplicating things. Plus, we have highchair, carrier, and 2 strollers.
dvd player and dvds

hbridge
03-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Leapster/Nintendo, Ipod, Portable DVD Player - Something small that can quietly occupy her while you are packing, traveling, house hunting, ect.

Indianamom2
03-18-2011, 03:25 PM
The Leapster Explorer is awesome and takes up very little space, but I don't know if that would be too advanced for a 4 year old. It might be just a year too early.

I like the idea of a play tent that folds flat too. We got one from the Target garden section probably 4 years ago and it still gets use today. I love that it doesn't take up much space when it's not in use, plus it's an indoor/outdoor toy.

ljackson
03-18-2011, 03:26 PM
Does she have a camera?

wencit
03-18-2011, 03:31 PM
We're moving to Boston area, so memberships might be a good idea... I'll have to figure out what's local to our new area.If you're moving close to downtown or at least someplace that has convenient access to the T, the Boston Children's Museum is *awesome* for that age, and an annual family membership costs $125 (which also gives you access to other children's museums in the area and beyond). My kids love that place.

jent
03-18-2011, 03:32 PM
Does she have a camera?

She got a Vtech camera for Xmas, but it's a piece of junk IMO. Too bad b/c it's nicely made on the outside (easy for little hands to hold).

See what I mean about her already having everything?

bubbaray
03-18-2011, 03:37 PM
What about a Nintendo DS XL? Its about that price (make sure you get a case for it and a charger too). Very small and there are some games that my 4yo is starting to get. My 7yo loves it for the dr's office & travel.

KrisM
03-18-2011, 03:50 PM
DD is 4.5 and her Corolle Vanilla doll gets the most play. She has a couple outfits and an American Girl doll brush and she loves to change clothes, brush her hair, etc. It gets way more play than a baby doll ever did.

bubbaray
03-18-2011, 03:52 PM
I agree, if you get a doll for this age, get one with hair. We have both the Bitty Twins and Corolle Vanilla blonde. I prefer the hair of the Bitty Twins, but the body/face of the Corolle Vanilla.

ETA: I gave DD#2 (not quite 4 at the time) a Corolle Les Cheries for Christmas, she loves it. It is larger than a Barbie, smaller than Vanilla. Its a nice size.

sail731
03-18-2011, 04:39 PM
Leapster Explorer or Pad (coming out this spring I think). DD is turning 4 this June and loves hers. I like that she is learning while she feels like she is playing.

zag95
03-18-2011, 04:45 PM
I'd do a membership (the Children's museum sounds fun!) or what about a magazine-such as Highlights High Five? DD is 3 and gets hers every month- she loves it! Another idea might be a swim pass or swimming lessons for the summer at a pool near your new place!

justlearning
03-18-2011, 05:16 PM
She got a Vtech camera for Xmas, but it's a piece of junk IMO. Too bad b/c it's nicely made on the outside (easy for little hands to hold).

See what I mean about her already having everything?

Out of curiosity, has your DD learned how to use all its features? I agree that it's junk if you're looking to take nice quality photos. But both of my sons (now 7 and 5) have LOVED their Vtech cameras for 2 1/2 years--their toy that has gotten the most use, and we have a lot of toys. Perhaps your model is different, but they can play games on theirs (easy games but still fun for a 4-year-old), put silly stamps on pictures or blow up pictures (e.g., of their nostrils), but their favorite features is being able to take videos and replay them easily. As I've written on her before, that video feature regularly entertains my car filled with 5 to 8 year-olds whenever I drive carpool. They LOVE making really silly videos and replaying them. I write this just to encourage you to perhaps give it a second chance if the only thing she's done so far is try to take photos with it. BTW, my boys also love taking pics with their cameras--the poor resolution doesn't matter to them.

Now to answer your original question, I like the idea of a nice doll with clothes. But if you don't want to do that, does she like arts and crafts? If so, what about getting her a large assortment of arts and crafts (e.g., Perler beads, sparkly do-a-dot markers and books, other crafts kits)? Just one arts and craft kit alone wouldn't seem like a "wow" gift, but I would think that a bin filled with them would wow a kid, especially one who likes that stuff. They wouldn't have to take up much space and they would also be fun for her to play with during your move.

ETA that I think that membership idea is nice, but from my experience, it hasn't been a "wow" gift for my boys because it's not tangible enough. They also seem to expect me to take them places so it doesn't seem as much as a gift for them, IYKWIM (kinda like the way they would view clothes as a gift).

jent
03-18-2011, 06:07 PM
Out of curiosity, has your DD learned how to use all its features? I agree that it's junk if you're looking to take nice quality photos. But both of my sons (now 7 and 5) have LOVED their Vtech cameras for 2 1/2 years--their toy that has gotten the most use, and we have a lot of toys. Perhaps your model is different, but they can play games on theirs (easy games but still fun for a 4-year-old), put silly stamps on pictures or blow up pictures (e.g., of their nostrils), but their favorite features is being able to take videos and replay them easily. As I've written on her before, that video feature regularly entertains my car filled with 5 to 8 year-olds whenever I drive carpool. They LOVE making really silly videos and replaying them. I write this just to encourage you to perhaps give it a second chance if the only thing she's done so far is try to take photos with it. BTW, my boys also love taking pics with their cameras--the poor resolution doesn't matter to them.

Thanks. DD does play the games and likes the camera for this reason. She has trouble though navigating through the menu to figure out how to see a picture she's taken. Plus the screen is so small she gets frustrated.

Thanks for the good ideas, keep them coming!

Maxlee
03-18-2011, 06:25 PM
How about a scooter?

We just got DD1 (5) a maxi-kick and DD2 (3) a mini kick and they love them

jent
03-18-2011, 08:49 PM
If you're moving close to downtown or at least someplace that has convenient access to the T, the Boston Children's Museum is *awesome* for that age, and an annual family membership costs $125 (which also gives you access to other children's museums in the area and beyond). My kids love that place.

Yep, I was thinking about that. Not sure where we'll live yet, but we're looking in Newton right now.

artvandalay
03-18-2011, 09:08 PM
The Leapster Explorer has a camera attachment (buy separately). Looks kind of cool, I guess you can draw on the images and stuff.

http://shop.leapfrog.com/leapfrog/jump/Leapster-Explorer%22-Camera-and-Video-Recorder/productDetail/Leapster-Explorer-Accessories/LEAPSTEREXPLORER39400/cat380008

My son just turned 4 in February and he loves his Leapster Explorer. We had to go shopping for a new washing machine today, so we made sure to bring it along to keep him occupied.

bubbaray
03-18-2011, 09:11 PM
Nintendo DS XL has an integrated camera and some fun games with the camera...

hillview
03-19-2011, 11:40 AM
Boston museums we LOVE
are the Museum of Science and Boston Children's Museum!!
/hillary

hellokitty
03-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Automoblox

jent
03-20-2011, 10:54 AM
Just checking in on this thread- thanks again for all the suggestions.

I've always avoided electronic toys, but I think I'll check out that Leapster and maybe Nintendo and see what I think.

Crafty stuff is right up DD's alley, I've suggested it before but I will put it on her list again.

Scooter is a good idea. Maybe if she is not tall enough for a bike we'll consider that. Not sure I want to do both though b/c of the space issue, though (not sure if we'll end up in an apt building).

bubbaray
03-20-2011, 11:06 AM
Not sure I want to do both though b/c of the space issue, though (not sure if we'll end up in an apt building).

The Razor scooters fold up to about the size of a large umbrella. You can use the same helmet that you use for a bike. A scooter is a great idea for small places!