PDA

View Full Version : What Medicine for Head Congestion for 6.5 year old?

Indianamom2
03-18-2011, 03:01 PM
DD has a nasty head cold (last week was the stomach flu!). She is incredibly stuffed up, her eyes hurt and she's sneezing her head off.

Benadryl works well at night, but totally knocks her out (not a bad thing). What can I give her during the day to help? Is there anything effective? The caveat here is that it has to be grape-flavored too.

Thanks!

bubbaray
03-18-2011, 03:02 PM
Dimetapp works for my DD. They have grape flavored liquid and meltaway pills.

cmo
03-18-2011, 05:00 PM
Sudafed for kids (liquid) is grape-flavored! You have to buy it from the pharmacy. Target carries it, one of my two usual grocery store pharmacies do, too.

Tondi G
03-18-2011, 05:01 PM
dimatapp knocks my kids out like Benedryl. But it is grape flavored.

How about Mucinex? could you get away with Berry flavor???

http://www.mucinex.com/html/kids/6

Sudafed comes in Grape ... but it will help with her stuffy nose and pressure/congestion but won't stop the sneezes

http://www.sudafed.com/products/childrens-sudafed/childrens-sudafed-nasal-decongestant

Sillygirl
03-18-2011, 05:08 PM
My 6 1/2 year old gets a ton of relief from the NeilMed sinus rinse. I squeeze the bottle for him and stop when he tells me to. The first time he tried it, he only let me do a little, but he felt so much better, he asked for it the next morning.

Indianamom2
03-18-2011, 05:11 PM
Thanks ladies.

The neti pot idea will NOT fly here. DD has sensory issues and I know that I'll never convince her to even get close enough to try it. I' m sure it would help, but it wouldn't be worth the fight!

I didn't know they made sudafed for kids....hmmm, that's one to consider.

I think dimetapp knocks DD out too. We've done that in the past at night. It works, it just makes her too sleepy.

Our pedi's office suggested zyrtec or claritin during the day. Since I have that, I might give it a try first....if not, I'm off to find sudafed.

bubbaray
03-18-2011, 08:00 PM
My girls' allergist isn't a fan of Zyrtec (Reactin here) because it is more sedating than Claritin/Allegra/Aerius. We have used both Claritin and Aerius with success. I don't know if they are grape flavored, though -- IIRC they are both bubblegum flavored.

FWIW, the Dimetapp pills are non-drowsy.

Tondi G
03-18-2011, 08:38 PM
Thanks ladies.

The neti pot idea will NOT fly here. DD has sensory issues and I know that I'll never convince her to even get close enough to try it. I' m sure it would help, but it wouldn't be worth the fight!

I didn't know they made sudafed for kids....hmmm, that's one to consider.

I think dimetapp knocks DD out too. We've done that in the past at night. It works, it just makes her too sleepy.

Our pedi's office suggested zyrtec or claritin during the day. Since I have that, I might give it a try first....if not, I'm off to find sudafed.

Claritin will help stop the sneezing... the Sudafed will help with the congestion and pressure.

Claritin comes in GRAPE and there is a coupon for it on the site too! http://www.claritin.com/claritin/kids/index.jspa