PDA

View Full Version : I have in my pantry...

Sweetum
03-18-2011, 03:29 PM
brown rice from year 2009 :bag

Keep or throw, please weigh in.

SnuggleBuggles
03-18-2011, 03:32 PM
That's not old at all. Are there bugs in it? If not, then keep it. What's going to go wrong wit rice? I wouldn't be embarrassed by that. :) Now, the flyer that I had hanging on my fridge till 10 minutes ago for something that expired in 2009? That's embarrassing!

Beth

mikala
03-18-2011, 03:33 PM
Open it up and sniff it. I'm guessing it will smell stale/off.

No paperbag needed, this happens more than I'd like to admit at our house.

ETA: Brown rice has extra oils in the bran that can go rancid over time. I think it's similar to how whole wheat flour has a shorter shelf-life than white flour.

justlearning
03-18-2011, 03:35 PM
Is it an opened bag? If so, I'd definitely toss it. If it's unopened, then I'd probably cook it and taste it to see how it is.

FWIW, I always store my brown rice in the fridge. I just pulled my bag of rice out and here's what it says: "We recommend refrigeration for extended shelf life."

WolfpackMom
03-18-2011, 03:39 PM
Please girl, Ive thrown stuff out of my fridge with that kind of date! Sometimes jars get hidden....

If its not opened, I would keep. Worst that can happen is you cook it and it tastes off and you dont eat it.

boolady
03-18-2011, 04:02 PM
Please girl, Ive thrown stuff out of my fridge with that kind of date! Sometimes jars get hidden....

:rotflmao:This is exactly what I was thinking! I'm pretty sure I've got some random sauces in jars in our fridge that make 2009 look really current. I wouldn't use them, but they're there. Brown rice? If no bugs, I'd cook it and see if it tastes okay.

SnuggleBuggles
03-18-2011, 04:03 PM
I keep my rice, nuts and some other grains in the freezer. It keeps them much longer.

Beth