PDA

View Full Version : What should I do with a Marathon manufactured in Sept. of 2003?

justlearning
03-18-2011, 04:00 PM
My boys have outgrown it and it's been sitting in our garage. It's never been in an accident and has always been used correctly and is in good shape.

Could this be useful to anyone else or is it now considered expired? If it shouldn't be used by anyone else, do I just have it picked up with our regular home trash?

The user guide said that 6 years is considered the expiration date, but I thought somewhere I had read that it's 10 years? What guideline do you all use? It does seem like such a waste to just throw it away considering the nice shape it appears to be in.

bubbaray
03-18-2011, 04:03 PM
It expired in September 2009. You could sell the cover, belly cover and shoulder covers (not the plastic hugs), then trash the seat and harness by slashing the harness. Some places let you recycle seats, depends on your area. ETA: its definitely NOT a 10 year expiry for that particular seat.

jenm
03-20-2011, 03:54 PM
Some baby stores have trade in days- we just traded a recalled crib for 25% off a new booster seat. Now we don't have to worry about how to dispose of the crib (afraid if we left it for the trash, someone might pick it up) because the store KNOWS it can't be used anymore, and we got a super discount.
If you won't need any more baby stuff, you can hang onto it until the next time you're buying for a baby shower or pass it on to a friend for the same use.

MommyAllison
03-20-2011, 04:02 PM
If you decide to do the trade-in, I believe BRU is fine w/you bringing the seat in without the cover, belly pad & shoulder covers, so you could pull those off first and sell or give them away, then trash or trade in the seat.

veronica
03-20-2011, 07:33 PM
If you decide to do the trade-in, I believe BRU is fine w/you bringing the seat in without the cover, belly pad & shoulder covers, so you could pull those off first and sell or give them away, then trash or trade in the seat.
:yeahthat: I traded in a carseat with no problems last month at BRU.