PDA

View Full Version : ? about making a "PE Board" like support for the BJCM

mominma
03-18-2011, 05:04 PM
I have read in past threads that some people made their own back supports for the BJCM. Did you put the support in the back in the mesh pocket? Just wondering how it was used.

Thanks,

Kaylee31
03-18-2011, 05:10 PM
Yes, you just slide it in the pocket behind the seat. I just used cardboard-- from the box my BJCM tray came in :p. It doesn't make a huge difference, but the seat is noticeably stiffer and more supportive.

salsah
03-18-2011, 05:36 PM
no, it does not go in the mesh pocket.

at the top of the seat back, under the canopy, you'll find that there is a slit -- the front and back pieces of fabric that make up the seat back are held together with velcro. the board goes inside there.

you want to use a sturdy card board, similar to the kind in hard binders. but it will need to be bigger. measure the seat back from top to bottom and then measure the width at the bottom and the width at the top (iirc, the top is wider than the bottom).

lhafer
03-18-2011, 05:56 PM
no, it does not go in the mesh pocket.

at the top of the seat back, under the canopy, you'll find that there is a slit -- the front and back pieces of fabric that make up the seat back are held together with velcro. the board goes inside there.

you want to use a sturdy card board, similar to the kind in hard binders. but it will need to be bigger. measure the seat back from top to bottom and then measure the width at the bottom and the width at the top (iirc, the top is wider than the bottom).

Actually I used 2 3-ring binders and when I compared mine to the 2011 model in the store, I didn't notice a difference in the seat stiffness - they were equal! And mine has been in there for quite a while.

I got 2 99 cent binders and cut the rings out (the hardest part). Then I held one up against the seat and cut about 1/3 of one side of the binder off to fit, then I used that as a template to cut the other binder. Then on the opposite side of that cut, I cut off the corners at an angle (because the pocket angles inward).

Then, once I inserted both binders I put the 2 left over pieces (not the corners, but the 1/3 that was cut off the binder) and put them length wise between the 2 binders.

I can take pics of mine if you would like. Sounds WAY harder to do than it is - it took me about 5 minutes to do this.

mominma
03-18-2011, 06:02 PM
Actually I used 2 3-ring binders and when I compared mine to the 2011 model in the store, I didn't notice a difference in the seat stiffness - they were equal! And mine has been in there for quite a while.

I got 2 99 cent binders and cut the rings out (the hardest part). Then I held one up against the seat and cut about 1/3 of one side of the binder off to fit, then I used that as a template to cut the other binder. Then on the opposite side of that cut, I cut off the corners at an angle (because the pocket angles inward).

Then, once I inserted both binders I put the 2 left over pieces (not the corners, but the 1/3 that was cut off the binder) and put them length wise between the 2 binders.

I can take pics of mine if you would like. Sounds WAY harder to do than it is - it took me about 5 minutes to do this.

If you wouldn't mind, a picture would be great! Whenever you have a chance.

drcarpiodds
03-18-2011, 08:02 PM
If you wouldn't mind, a picture would be great! Whenever you have a chance.

:yeahthat:

and THANKS!

poohbear
03-18-2011, 09:20 PM
I made mine out of a firm piece of cardboard. The pe boards are stiffer than the cardboard I used. I would imagine due to the thickness, the pe board might be a bit stiffer than a binder, but any of these things will do the trick. I would try cardboard or a binder first (because a binder is really cardboard and PE board is actually more of a plastic), and if it's not enough support, you can order one for $12-15...

PP is correct, you open up the velcro at the top of the seat and slide it in there. I actually made a template and cut it out to fit exactly...

Kaylee31
03-18-2011, 11:06 PM
PP is correct, you open up the velcro at the top of the seat and slide it in there. I actually made a template and cut it out to fit exactly...

:yeahthat:
:duh: Sorry, OP, I didn't realize you were referring to the storage pocket. My post was kind of confusing. Like the PPs said, there is a slit pocket behind the seat w/velcro at the top. I cut the top & bottom sections out of the box the BJCM tray was packaged in; and slid the 2 pieces in the pocket. They seemed to fit perfectly; and the double layer added stiffness. It was easy and free; but the binder idea would probably work even better.

mominma
03-19-2011, 08:03 AM
Thanks, I neve noticed that Velcro part. I will make a support this week-end.

wellyes
03-19-2011, 08:05 AM
Love the idea of using the shipping box cardboard doubled up. I was just about to recycle mine!

lhafer
03-19-2011, 08:54 AM
Okay, I took pictures of what I did for my supports. Here ya go. Let me know if you have any questions.

https://picasaweb.google.com/llhafer/SupportForBJCM?authkey=Gv1sRgCJjr1pXR4dy_3wE#55857 68516472111970

You can see the binders haven't bent or gotten out of shape. The ones you see in the pictures are the ones that have been in my stroller for months now.

ashleybama24
03-19-2011, 10:10 AM
You can order a PE board directly from Baby Jogger for $8.

lhafer
03-19-2011, 02:09 PM
You can order a PE board directly from Baby Jogger for $8.

Plus shipping so it comes out to $17.45. There is no other option other than ground shipping for $8.95.

poohbear
03-19-2011, 03:10 PM
Plus shipping so it comes out to $17.45. There is no other option other than ground shipping for $8.95.

:yeahthat: You can get one from countrymoosekids.com though for $12 shipped.

Personally I would try the cardboard or binder first. I had a piece of cardboard from a shipping box in mine for about 8 months before replacing my 2010 with a 2011 that had the pe board. The pe board is nice, but I don't notice a huge difference. It is firmer because it's thicker and harder, but my kid didn't seem to care either way.

ashleybama24
03-19-2011, 06:40 PM
That's odd. I didn't pay any shipping and I just ordered it last week.

poohbear
03-19-2011, 10:41 PM
That's odd. I didn't pay any shipping and I just ordered it last week.

Maybe they are no longer charging shipping (or maybe you got a super friendly rep)? A friend of mine called to order one in (I believe) November or December and it was going to be $8 plus about $8 for shipping. When I called last spring, it was same thing.

pampers37
03-21-2011, 12:01 AM
just curious is this for the 2011 models? or older ones? if not 2011, i think i read they improved on this, or am i making things up in my head?

Kaylee31
03-21-2011, 12:04 AM
just curious is this for the 2011 models? or older ones? if not 2011, i think i read they improved on this, or am i making things up in my head?

It's for older models. The 2011s come with a PE board and an upright strap for the seat.

wellyes
03-21-2011, 09:51 AM
Update - I have a 2010 and used the box it came in to make back supports. It worked perfectly! For my BJCMD:

- I cut the front of the box into 1/3 strips top-to-bottom.
- I cut two of those strips in half side-to-side.
- That made 2 boards to go into the back of each seat

Much, much stiffer. I actually had to redo the harness setup because the seating position was so much more upright.

pampers37
03-21-2011, 12:07 PM
It's for older models. The 2011s come with a PE board and an upright strap for the seat.

thanks for clarification Kaylee :thumbsup: