PDA

View Full Version : Freaking out...please help me calm down

randomkid
03-19-2011, 01:38 PM
I have an area under my left breast that is very tender and sore. When I feel it, it feels like my rib that is sore, but there is some inflamation there, so it's hard to really tell. I'm thin and have small breasts. I have felt areas before that I thought might be a lump, but it's just my ribs. When I feel this same area on the right, it is also tender and sore, but not as sore as the left. I did a self exam last month and didn't feel anything weird in that breast. Now, I'm not sure if there is something there or not. I've been using an icepack on it to try and decrease the soreness. It has helped only slightly. I think the inflammation is down a bit, but I'm now so freaked out, I can't tell what I am feeling. I haven't had a mammogram in a couple of years and have an appt with my GYN on April 4.

I have a very physical job, so when I get areas of soreness, I don't really pay much attention to it at first. This started this past week and I just figured I strained something a little at work. It hasn't gotten better, so now I'm starting to panic. Would a lump be painful? When I feel it now, I wonder if there is something there, but just right on top of my rib and when I push on it that makes it hurt more. It's not like I feel something pea or pebble sized that I can move around, it's not well defined. What I'm feeling could just be breast tissue. I have very dense tissue and that, along with my bony chest, make it really hard to discern what I'm feeling.

I literally feel sick to my stomach and feel like I'm in a fog. I work in healthcare and see the worst everyday, so I need some help here. Please let me know your experiences and should I call the GYN Mon and get in earlier or am I freaking out over nothing here? I can't even eat today. All I keep thinking about is DD and how much she needs me. I can't be sick, or worse. I tend to be a worrier and this is getting the best of me today. Please help me!

DietCokeLover
03-19-2011, 01:43 PM
I don't have any insight regarding your pain or the what ifs, but I fid just want to say I hope you can find a sense of peace soon.

hillview
03-19-2011, 01:45 PM
HUGS. I had a sore breast with a lump -- I had it scanned and it was due to my bra underwire. Don't panic. Go see your doc. If it were me I'd call to see if I could move up my appt just to be less stressed.
/hillary

randomkid
03-19-2011, 01:55 PM
HUGS. I had a sore breast with a lump -- I had it scanned and it was due to my bra underwire. Don't panic. Go see your doc. If it were me I'd call to see if I could move up my appt just to be less stressed.
/hillary

I wondered if that could be it. I rarely wear underwire bras because I find them so uncomfortable, and let's be honest, I don't need one - lol! However, I wore one all day last Saturday while shopping for a dress for this event we are going to tonight. I will wear one if I need to fill something out a little better. I haven't worn it again since Saturday, though. I thought that might be the cause, but expected it would be better by now.

LMPC
03-19-2011, 01:56 PM
When we don't have the answer to something, we tend to think the worst. Take a deep breath -- chances are it is from your bra or something that happened at work. Freaking out about it now is not going to magically make the answers appear. Take another deep breath. Call your doc on Monday and see what she or he says (or the nurse). Maybe they can get you in a little sooner just to check things out and allay any fears you have. Do something that will help you enjoy the rest of your day. :hug:

crl
03-19-2011, 02:06 PM
I have had sore, maybe lump kinds of things before. Always nothing. Call you doc on Monday and ask to get in early just so you can stop worrying.

Catherine

randomkid
03-19-2011, 02:14 PM
OK, you guys are helping. I'm starting to feel better - keep it coming!

WolfpackMom
03-19-2011, 02:17 PM
I have had this issue, and I'm also thin and small breasted as you say you are. For me it's from having dense breast tissue which is normal in small breasted women according to my doc. I honestly don't think you have to worry too much at this point but I would move your appointment up for piece of mind. Also, the more you mess with it by pushing on it or the rib around it like you mention, the more irritated the area will become and the more it will hurt. I know it's nerve wracking but try and do something else to keep busy and call the dr on Monday to see if they can see you sooner. Hugs!!

ETA I was also going to say that breast cancer doesnt usually present itself as a painful area, at least from what I have read about it.

Multimama
03-19-2011, 02:40 PM
Most forms of breast cancer do not develop with pain or soreness, so right there, the fact that it is sore reduces your chances that it is something sinister. I would strongly suspect that it is related to the bra or a muscle or skin injury. (Maybe you injured it last Saturday with the underwire and now it has gotten a little infected.) Try to be as gentle as possible with the area (maybe not wearing a bra at all, when possible).

I would move up your appointment for your own peace of mind, but I would only be concerned if it seems to be getting worse instead of better. If you can't see the area that is hurting well, try to have someone else take a look at it and then keep an eye on it to make sure any redness or hardness they see isn't spreading. (If they see a spot of redness, have them measure it and/or photograph it, if you really want to be clinical about it.) I imagine if the doctor is worried about it, the first step would be antibiotics and not a mammogram. But I'm not a doctor, :) so definitely follow up with your doctor on Monday.