PDA

View Full Version : Planning a road trip

KLD313
03-19-2011, 08:25 PM
from CT to FL and I need some tips etc. Has anyone done this drive or part of it? I'm figuring it's about 20 hrs but will take much longer because we're bring the baby who will be almost 9 mos old by then. We're going to FL because we're thinking of moving there but want to travel around to some different places so IDK how set our plans will be. Do you think we could get down there in two days? I'm thinking we could leave Fri afternoon and arrive by Sun. IDK where to stop along the way thought to spend the night or should we not try to plan this and just find a hotel when we're ready to? I think I'm rambling now but for some reason I just can't plan it all out in my head and need help.

LMPC
03-19-2011, 09:01 PM
At 9 mos DD slept really well in the car. If that's the case for you, I would try and do a good bit of the driving at night. Doubly so since you have to navigate NYC and Washington....two big PITA! I would plan to take 2 days and have some places in mind that would be good for stopping. I would suggest stopping and playing for a while...taking time to eat. Build that into the plans. I think once you get past Richmond VA, the driving gets so much easier. I am assuming that you are going 95 all the way? Or 95 to 85. If you are going 95 to 85, then by all means, make Raleigh your halfway point ;) We have lots of hotels and fun things to do! GL!

KLD313
03-19-2011, 09:15 PM
At 9 mos DD slept really well in the car. If that's the case for you, I would try and do a good bit of the driving at night. Doubly so since you have to navigate NYC and Washington....two big PITA! I would plan to take 2 days and have some places in mind that would be good for stopping. I would suggest stopping and playing for a while...taking time to eat. Build that into the plans. I think once you get past Richmond VA, the driving gets so much easier. I am assuming that you are going 95 all the way? Or 95 to 85. If you are going 95 to 85, then by all means, make Raleigh your halfway point ;) We have lots of hotels and fun things to do! GL!

I forgot about the DC traffic, ugh. Is it better on a weekend though? OK, so I guess 2 days will be doable. 95 to 85? I've never even heard of 85! Is that better than going 95 all the way?

LMPC
03-19-2011, 09:19 PM
I forgot about the DC traffic, ugh. Is it better on a weekend though? OK, so I guess 2 days will be doable. 95 to 85? I've never even heard of 85! Is that better than going 95 all the way?

I think it depends on where in FL you are going. Panhandle, I would go 95 to 85....but other than that, I would go 95 all the way.

I don't think there's any good time for DC traffic. Seriously. It's really hit or miss!

No chance you guys can fly and then just rent a car? Hmmmm.....

KLD313
03-19-2011, 09:49 PM
Oh Ok, we're not going to the Panhandle.

I drove to VA once with my then husband and in-laws (divorced now) and we got caught up in hours of DC traffic and I wanted to jump out of the car into oncoming traffic. Ugh!

I really don't want to fly for several reasons but I did look into it and I think with the rising gas prices it will be cheaper to drive.