PDA

View Full Version : Housekeeper checklist? large house zones?

BeachBum
03-20-2011, 10:01 AM
We need to hire a new housekeeper. In the past I've always gotten frustrated because things get neglected...and I feel like all they do is swish the toilet brush once a week. They start a bit more enthusiastic, but then things rapidly decline.

I'm thinking of having them come once a week, but breaking the house into zones. Our house is pretty large--it's a beast to clean all in one day. There are a few things I do want done each week, but many tasks can be done less often--but they do need to be done. I'm hoping that this will result in more deep cleaning.

I also have a hard time calling out the housekeeper for slacking. I'm more inclined to just let them go. I'm hoping that the checklist will make it easier for me to point at things that aren't getting done and to set expectations up front.

Do you use a similar set up? How does it work?
Do you have a checklist? What are your weekly tasks?

FWITW- We've got 3 BR, 3.5 baths, 2 living rooms, playroom, office, eat in kitchen, dining room and a screened porch that has a combo living/ dining area. About 4500 sq ft total. Two parents, 3 kids.

I'm open to all thoughts and suggestions.

SnuggleBuggles
03-20-2011, 10:28 AM
Do you think all rooms really need cleaning every week? Are all 3.5 bathrooms in enough use or could some of them be cleaned every other week? Same applies to the living rooms, family rooms... My house is 1/2 that big and I cycle around and some rooms don't really get cleaned weekly. Kitchen and main bath get cleaned at least 1/ week as does the family room. But, every other room kind of gets done on an as needed basis and it could be several weeks between real cleanings.

Beth

jgenie
03-20-2011, 11:16 AM
I break ours down by what gets used the most and what I hate to do. I stink at cleaning floors so every time our house gets cleaned the floors in the areas we use daily get done - bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchen, entryway, stairs, laundry. The kitchen gets a deep clean each visit as well. We (the boys & I) don't use the office or the bathroom in that section so she only cleans that area if it's especially dirty for some odd reason or if I'm trying to fill in work for her to do. We (again the boys and & I) spend very little time downstairs in the family room so that ends up being another area she does occasionally as needed. Dining room and formal living room see no action so I generally have her skip those on a regular basis - she may do a quick clean of the floors and a quick dust but that's it usually. I would sit down and list what your must do each visit items are and then make a checklist of other fill in work. You can just leave the relevant checklist out at each visit that way you don't have to feel like you're nagging but they know exactly what needs to be done. GL

geochick
03-20-2011, 11:39 AM
I don't have it written down, but we ask ours to do the entire main floor each time. After that, I tell her the areas upstairs to focus on (there's no way she can do all of it in 6 hours). I think you could print off copies of a checklist including all of your zones or rooms. Give the housekeeper the checklist you've marked each week. Ask them to cross off every area you've checked once it has been cleaned. Then they'll know that you're paying close attention.

Good luck.

kristac
03-20-2011, 12:16 PM
There's a pretty good checklist here:

http://www.thecleaningauthority.com/CleaningSystem.aspx