PDA

View Full Version : Tents - tell me what you know

94bruin
03-20-2011, 12:50 PM
I think we might go camping this year and am looking to purchase a tent. I've gone camping less than 5 times in my life, so I am pretty clueless when it comes to tents. Please give me some advice on what to look for.

I saw some tents at Costco. Any good?

Thanks!

bubbaray
03-20-2011, 12:53 PM
What kind of camping? Hiking? Pack in? Car camping? There are different tents for different types of camping.

mackmama
03-20-2011, 01:05 PM
How many people do you want to fit in the tent?

Smillow
03-20-2011, 01:22 PM
My first advice regarding tents is to take the number of people they say can sleep in it and divide it at least in half. If you think you will be spending time in the tent in additional to sleeping or storing things in it, in it divide it by 3. Then you may be comfortable. The tents I have seen at Costco look like good deals to me.

94bruin
03-20-2011, 01:30 PM
What kind of camping? Hiking? Pack in? Car camping? There are different tents for different types of camping.

How many people do you want to fit in the tent? What are the average night temps where you live?

See? I'm pretty clueless, lol!

What kind of camping? Um, the type where we'll be driving up to the campground and setting up shop right there (with maybe a short walk.) I'm not really sure what pack in and car camping mean.

Most likely, it'll be me, dh and one or two kids. My oldest is currently 5.

We'd most likely only go camping in the spring/summer. I'd say 50s to 60s? We live in the Bay Area, CA and would go camping around here (unless one day we make the trek to Yosemite - but we usually rent a cabin there.)

endlessheather
03-20-2011, 01:55 PM
I've been tent camping since I was a baby :) and now we take our boys a lot during the summer. I've had a few types now and to be honest, if you are just "car camping" and weekend trips in pretty good weather....most family style dome tents will be fine. It will just depend on the size and how many you are sleeping. I do check ratings for rain because we live in Oregon and rain + tents can be bad. :)

We got one similar to this a few years ago though and have loved it.
http://tinyurl.com/45gz7k6 Picked it up at Target. We like the screened in porch because we keep our coolers during the day in them and the boys have a bit of a shady reprieve.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/45170_10150236226680285_505940284_14120475_5308655 _n.jpg

It can fit 2 twin air mattresses and a queen aerobed in it which is nice for us and the boys. Lots of zip open windows helps for cooling it off and there's pockets all over in there.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mymindslost/4787957936/in/set-72157624355474569/

geochick
03-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Read some reviews:
http://www.consumersearch.com/tents

We like tons of space, and room dividers. We all sleep in one room, and we use the other for changing, bags, and play space.

With tents, you definitely get what you pay for. Plan on spending a few hundred bucks or more for a really nice one that will last you. We always set ours up at home after our camp trip so it can dry out before being stored away. It also allows us to clean it out well on the lawn.

I always pack one of those mini whisk brooms and dust pans. It really helps us keep the area clean inside. I also always put our tent on a tarp. It helps insulate from moisture, but it also keeps the bottom of the tent from ripping on a sharp rock or root. When we fold the tarp to fit underneath, we always leave a little extra tarp room near the door of the tent for a little porch. I put cheap IKEA rugs out on that tarp porch, and we don't wear shoes in the tent. They stay on the little rug on the porch.

Happy shopping.

MamaKath
03-20-2011, 04:04 PM
We have found good deals at Costco and Target before. If this is your first time and you aren't sure you'll ever go again, you might want to ask around and borrow a tent even. Camping gear can add up as you'll need other stuff as well (sleeping bags, mattresses/cots, cooking gear and utensils, etc). Oh and don't forget a tarp big enough to go under the tent! We always try to keep shoes off in the tent to keep dirt out, a dust pan and broom set are must haves.

Have fun! I love camping, but my family isn't as keen. ;)

BayGirl2
03-20-2011, 04:08 PM
Agree with what the others said above. For car camping I'd go with one of the larger family tents so you can spread out. Generally they have nice features like wheels on the case, hanging hooks for lanterns, interior lights.

In the Bay Area you will want something 3-season because it can get cold at night, when you are spending the most time in the tent. We are lucky, there are a lot of nice places to camp around here not too far away. We're hoping to get out this summer, although not sure if I'll be comfortable enough to go while pregnant.

geochick
03-20-2011, 04:11 PM
We're hoping to get out this summer, although not sure if I'll be comfortable enough to go while pregnant.

Oh, right, I forgot to mention that we always pack a large air mattress and a car-powered pump for us. I've even been known to pack sheets and blankets. There's no real reason to suffer completely while camping in a tent.

ellies mom
03-20-2011, 04:21 PM
What kind of camping? Um, the type where we'll be driving up to the campground and setting up shop right there (with maybe a short walk.) I'm not really sure what pack in and car camping mean.

Car camping is where you park right next to your tent. Pack in is where you park in a parking lot and carry everything a ways into your site. Some places with pack in camping have wheelbarrows you can borrow to move your stuff. So it really comes down to how far you want to carry stuff. I tend to stick to car camping.

I definitely agree with getting a tent that sleeps way more people than you plan on bringing. I think ours sleeps 8-9 and there are just the four of us and usually just me and the two girls.

We have a Columbia brand tent that we really like. It wasn't super expensive but it has enough bells and whistles that it works well for our needs. It goes up easily and folds down easily. Although, I fully admit to bribing my dad to packing it away because he is way more patient with the whole process than I am.

BayGirl2
03-20-2011, 04:25 PM
Oh, right, I forgot to mention that we always pack a large air mattress and a car-powered pump for us. I've even been known to pack sheets and blankets. There's no real reason to suffer completely while camping in a tent.

Yep, we have all that comfort stuff for car camping. (We also back pack, but that's not on the table.) But right now I have enough trouble sleeping on a my mattress at home, even a good air mattress may be beyond my preferred level of comfort.

ellies mom
03-20-2011, 04:31 PM

This is what we do. It is way more comfortable than sleeping on the ground. Just make sure your pump has enough oomph to fully inflate it (ours doesn't) and put a blanket between you and the mattress. We use an old sleeping bag. The air mattress will suck all the warmth out of you otherwise.

maestramommy
03-20-2011, 04:44 PM
I think it depends on what kind of camping you want to do, and where and when you want to go. If you're going just car camping, and the temp doesn't get all that low, I'd say the ones at Costco are just fine. If you are going to camp in say, the Mojave Desert, and the temps will get very low or it'll be very windy, you might want to look for at least a 3 season tent at REI. Not sure about the ones at Costco, although we did get one for SIL's family that worked great, but it should have a fly (rain/sun cover).

Tondi G
03-20-2011, 04:45 PM
I've always thought this is SUPER cool!

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11542626&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|111|22101|48806&N=4014042&Mo=6&pos=0&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=48806&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC11000-Cat22101&topnav=

Our kids really want to try tent camping so this may be the summer we actually do it... even if for just one night. We plan to do a trial run in my mom's backyard one night... she has a firepit and enough space to set up a couple of tents. If we survive that then we'll see about a campsite! Hope you have fun!

geochick
03-20-2011, 04:59 PM
Oh, and if pregnant girls have to go camping, they should always bring along one of these big girls:

http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Raised-Airbed-Built--Electric/dp/B000M0MJU2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1300654529&sr=8-3

You know, the really tall air mattresses. But before they resort to that, pregnant girls should pressure their loved ones to stay at the Ritz first.

Smillow
03-20-2011, 06:37 PM
I camped @ 4 months pregnant - refused to @ 7/8 months.

Definitely use an air mattress! We also cover our tent floor with those foam puzzle piece floor mats (2'X2' squares) in addition to putting a tarp down on the ground under the tent. Depending up how hard the ground is (we often camp in the Florid Keys where the ground is like solid rock) it can really help!

wellyes
03-20-2011, 07:10 PM
To reserve a campsite in a state park, *really* cheap, go to http://reserveamerica.com. With kids ideally I'd go to a park with a lake, but not camp directly next to it.

With tents, you definitely get what you pay for. Plan on spending a few hundred bucks or more for a really nice one that will last you. We always set ours up at home after our camp trip so it can dry out before being stored away. It also allows us to clean it out well on the lawn.I don't agree with this - for someone who is going to camp 3-4 times max in rather warm weather, there is not a need to spend a lot to have a lot of fun.

Really you just sleep in the tent and store your stuff there. Mostly you hang out outside.

I second getting an air mattress and don't forget to get a tarp for under your tent. Especially in case it rains. Even cheap tents are safely waterproof on top, but the bottom is trickier because that's where the zipper entrance tends to be.

I've always thought this is SUPER cool!

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...t22101&topnav= (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11542626&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC%7C111%7C22101%7C48806&N=4014042&Mo=6&pos=0&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=48806&Ns=P_Price%7C1%7C%7CP_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC11000-Cat22101&topnav=)That's nifty - but - you can get an actual popup trailer for less than that, used. We got one for $2k. It comes with a stove, table and benches, electric light, hard walls for added privacy and is heated. And weights about the same.

I love, love, love popup camping. We run ours on a battery so we can go to any car camping site, don't have to be in an RV park. But the added space and privacy are nice. And it's nice to be able to go out on cold nights and play a board game inside before bed as the fire dies out. What I recommend is doing what I did... buy a cheap utilitarian tent to see if you like camping, then after a year or two look into a popup.

94bruin
03-20-2011, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the replies!

This is very similar to the one available at Costco. It's $145. Do you think it's too big of a tent? The other tent available at Costco is only a 4 person, which definitely is too small for us.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000001598-WeatherMaster-10-Tent/dp/B001TS8Q94/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Smillow
03-20-2011, 11:32 PM
I think the size is great - I hate being pushed up against the side of the tent! This will give you lots of breathing room, plus you can stand up in it. If it comes with a bag, you can forget about being able to put everything back into it after you unpack it the first time.

sadie427
03-20-2011, 11:36 PM
You could also consider two smaller tents - that works well for us. Older DS likes to be in his own tent (right next to us) and I sleep better without small boys rolling around.

If you are near an REI, consider taking a look there. They may be more expensive, but the quality is good, the staff is knowledgeable, and the return policy is fantastic (they took back an 8 year old suitcase when it broke.)

94bruin
03-21-2011, 11:14 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000001586-Evanston-4-Tent/dp/B001TSCE6A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1300720275&sr=1-3

This is the other tent for $59. Don't know how we'd do the sleeping arrangements, though, since I still have two young children. It's probably be me with the two girls and DH by himself.

Mikey0709
03-21-2011, 11:23 AM
I just want to chime in because we have camped often with little ones - - and we have a larger tent .... and plan ahead that it takes TIME AND PRACTICE to set some of the larger ones up! Ours can be 3 zipper divided rooms - i have done 2 queen airbeds, 1 twin and a pack n play! but be prepared if you plan on setting it up - you need SOMEONE to watch the kids!!!!!

And you have to make sure some tent sites can ACCOMODATE a larger tent. we have had areas that were made for pop-ups and we couldn't find enough flat ground for 10x20 tent! Some places may want you to get 2 sites.

We bought our tent at Sams club for around 130. a few years ago... and after 3-4 trips it started to show it's wear (on the ZIPPERS!) BUT we love it!

AND DEFINATLEY don't forget a tarp for underneath.... we have gone in bright sunshine... and the site they gave us was MUD! I now take my kitchen rugs for the tent entranceway! Tarp also keep the bottom cleaner and less chance of puncture.

jenmcadams
03-21-2011, 11:47 AM
Here's the tent we have:

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-17-Foot-10-Foot-8-Person-Modified/dp/B000W7BHJY/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1300722318&sr=1-2

or at least it's close.

We buy a lot of our camping stuff on Amazon (no tax and we have prime). We're on our third summer and it's still doing well. We set it up with two full/queen air mattresses...kids on one, us on the other and then we put moving blankets down in the middle and the kids can play there or we can sit in it when it rains. Overall, we've been pretty happy with it...

rlu
03-21-2011, 02:29 PM
To reserve a campsite in a state park, *really* cheap, go to http://reserveamerica.com.

Just want to add reservations for CA state parks are made 6 months in advance, so check for availability and don't assume you can just show up and get a site. Some places are first come/first serve of course, it depends where you want to go. We camp at New Brighton Beach but it sells out quick. If you want to hike a little, Big Basin is nice but it is reservation based as well.