PDA

View Full Version : Sand table or sand box?

KpbS
03-20-2011, 07:16 PM
DS1 is 6 and DS2 is 3. With DD a newborn, I am trying to think of some things to enhance our backyard. Any opinions?

SnuggleBuggles
03-20-2011, 07:22 PM
Sand table. Less sand mess than if a sand box b/c you aren't sitting in the sand.

Beth

hillview
03-20-2011, 07:30 PM
Sand table. Less sand mess than if a sand box b/c you aren't sitting in the sand.

Beth

:yeahthat:

elliput
03-20-2011, 08:05 PM
Depends on your children. Mine climb in the sand table anyway, so we actually have both a sand box and a sand/water table.

Melaine
03-20-2011, 08:16 PM
We really like the sand/water table because I don't really want them sitting in the sand on a daily basis. They don't always have to take a bath after playing....with a full sandbox I imagine they would always need a bath.

AbbysMom
03-20-2011, 08:21 PM
We have a sand/water table and were thinking of doing a sandbox. Mine dump the sand from the sand table on the grass and don't play with it much in the table. Last summer, we ended up filling the whole thing with water and they love that. Keeps them cool and they'll play for a long time with boats and other water toys. We bought them a small turtle sandbox and that was way to small to sit and play in so they just dumped that sand too :( They seem to play well with the sand in a bigger space where they can dig.

BayGirl2
03-20-2011, 08:23 PM
Definitely sand table for us. DS plays in it very cleanly, he only needs to wash his hands after. He's been ok around it (not eating sand) since around his first birthday, not sure I felt would have been as ok with a sand box at that age.

We have the sand/water type but have only filled both sides with sand so far. Water maybe when he's older. Its not usually warm enough here to deal with wet kids.

mnosky1
03-20-2011, 10:43 PM
Sand box - much more creative and longer play. Can use for more years and 6 year old is probably getting too big for a sand table
I see these as 2 different type things - IMO one is for deck play, a short activity, and one is a more extended afternoon activity. I could see you getting more time to sit and feed the baby with 2 kids playing in a sandbox than standing at a sandtable. My vote is get 2 things: 1. big sandbox 2. water table (which you could do sand if you want but water is less messy)