PDA

View Full Version : Extended BF- when did AF come back?

catsnkid
03-20-2011, 07:37 PM
This is sort of freaking me out by OB and PCP seem to think it is normal. I have not had AF since DS was born- so over 2 1/2 years! I have been taking mini-pill since 6 weeks out. He does still breastfeed but usually only in evening and a.m. during the week, a little bit more on weekends. I stopped pumping at 11 months. Prior I did have a light, short cycle. I had no trouble TTC but I am wondering if this will be a problem when TTC #2- will go off mini pill.

MommyAllison
03-20-2011, 07:39 PM
With DD, 17 months.
With DS, 15 months (after an overnight road trip caused us to not nurse at all overnight).

I wasn't on the mini pill, or any hormonal birth control either time.

ETA: Both kids continued nursing for a long time after AF came back, so for me, AF did not equal weaning.

elliput
03-20-2011, 08:12 PM
With DD, AF came back at 18 months post-partum. I was no longer pumping for work and DD was down to nursing twice a day. As of today, AF has returned after a hiatus of 39 months. I cut DS off from nursing just last month, he needed to be done. :wink2:

SnuggleBuggles
03-20-2011, 08:18 PM
Ds1- mini pill, bf till 19m but AF returned at 10m
Ds2- copper IUD, bf till 17m, AF returned at 10m

Beth

chays
03-20-2011, 08:33 PM
All 3 of my kids it came back around 13 months, no pill. I will say, though back when I was on the pill (loestrin, so a low dose) I never got AF...maybe it it from the pill not the nursing that you don't have it back?! Yeah!

bubbaray
03-20-2011, 08:36 PM
AF came back exactly 4 weeks after I weaned DD#1 at 12m. With DD#2, it came back 4 weeks after I almost-fully weaned (down to 2x day) at 12m. I nursed her until 17m.

rin
03-20-2011, 08:41 PM
I'm so jealous of y'all! My DD is 10.5 months old right now, almost exclusively breastfed (never had formula, the "almost" exclusively breastfed part is because she probably gets about 5% of her nutrition from solids at this point), and wakes up an average of 2-3 x night to nurse: AF started again for me at about 7 months. Lame! :tongue5:

ETA: No pill or other hormonal medications.

Smillow
03-20-2011, 09:26 PM
I'm so jealous of y'all! My DD is 10.5 months old right now, almost exclusively breastfed (never had formula, the "almost" exclusively breastfed part is because she probably gets about 5% of her nutrition from solids at this point), and wakes up an average of 2-3 x night to nurse: AF started again for me at about 7 months. Lame! :tongue5:

ETA: No pill or other hormonal medications.

:yeahthat: I am still bf my 2 year old, and that little guy nursed every 3 hours for the longest time (well past 1 year) but AF came back after 7 months!

twowhat?
03-22-2011, 10:32 PM
For sure I thought I'd get a free ride for exclusively nursing twins...I nursed mine 18 months and AF returned at 8 months!

Talk to your doc - it could be as easy as a progesterone shot (I think) to jump-start your cycle.

DrSally
03-22-2011, 10:34 PM
DS--6 months, the day after I gave him a bottle, grrrr, nursed for 3 years
DD--the next month after giving birth. I was nursing, pumping, and supplementing, but apparently not pumping enough (wasn't good about doing it), so AF came back right away! Bummer! Nursed her for 2 years.

cckwmh
03-23-2011, 05:35 AM
it is likely the pill you are on. i never got AF on the mini pill - prior to pregnancy or when EBF. I went straight from pregnancy to minipill to mirena so I have not had AF for 6 years. I keep being told that fertility will return, we will see. I went from mini-pill with no AF to getting pregnant within 2 months of trying with DD.

catsnkid
03-23-2011, 12:39 PM
it is likely the pill you are on. i never got AF on the mini pill - prior to pregnancy or when EBF. I went straight from pregnancy to minipill to mirena so I have not had AF for 6 years. I keep being told that fertility will return, we will see. I went from mini-pill with no AF to getting pregnant within 2 months of trying with DD.

good to know, thanks.