PDA

View Full Version : HELP -Parents of early readers

Happy 2B mommy
03-20-2011, 10:25 PM
I need good book recommendations for my DD, who is 4. She started reading at 3 and currently reads anything she can get her hands on. We've been getting the Magic Treehouse books from the library for a while and she loves them. What else is out there at that ability level but is still appropiate for a sensitive 4 year old who can read independantly?

TIA

kristenk
03-20-2011, 10:29 PM
How about the Puppy Place books? A family fosters a different puppy each book and finds a home for it.

janeybwild
03-20-2011, 10:39 PM
Try the Rainbow Magic books

geochick
03-20-2011, 10:40 PM
My son is just falling asleep, so I can't go look on his bookshelf. Here's what I can come up with off the top of my head, and from peeking at Amazon:

Frog and Toad
Little Bear
Junie B Jones (too mature for your 4yo?)
Balto
Amelia Bedelia
Cam Jansen
Wayside school (may be better when she's 5)

sarahsthreads
03-20-2011, 11:11 PM
It's tough, we had the same issue!

I second the Rainbow Fairies books, as well as Amelia Bedelia and Frog and Toad. Also...Geronimo Stilton, Berenstain Bears, maybe the first Ramona book...I think she's 4 in that book? I'm really struggling to remember what DD1 read at which ages. I know she started reading the Boxcar Children series but that might have been later, and she rarely bothers getting them out of the library anymore.

There's a series called "You Read to Me, I'll Read to You" that are meant to be read with a partner, out loud, which DD1 really adored. They're great for working on reading aloud expressively - they're sort of like mini skits, with each reader taking a character. DD1 had trouble reading out loud so that others could understand her - she'd never pause to take a breath and would read incredibly quickly - so these were a great tool for us.

For next year, or the year after, the Ramona books are great, and Ivy and Bean, Clementine...ack! I can't think of what else is up on her bookshelf. Dragon in the Sock Drawer, the Bad Kitty series...plus a number of "picture" books like the Pinkalicious series, Skippyjon Jones...those are the ones that seem to be favorites. We're reading through the Little House series together, and as we finish a book she gets it to read to herself as much as she wants, but those are definitely hard reading at times, both in content and themes, which is why we're reading together (and discussing/processing them) first.

eta: Oh! Ready Freddy and My Weird School are two series she gravitates towards at the library now at age 6. I can't believe I forgot those. But those are probably better for grade school, just because the main characters are in 1st or 2nd grade and have...interesting?...attitudes towards school and teachers. ;)

Hope some of those suggestions help!

Sarah :)

Melbel
03-21-2011, 12:14 AM
DS and DD1 both loved the Fluffy books (pet guinnea pig with sarcastic sense of humor). A to Z Mysteries are on the same level as Magic Treehouse.

kijip
03-21-2011, 01:02 AM
Frog and Toad series
Little Bear

Don't rule out longer picture books either, like Horton Hears a Who

In a year, Magic Schoolbus may be fun.

kwc
03-21-2011, 01:35 AM
DS is about 6 months older than your DD and fairly sensitive.

Rainbow Magic is quite gentle but I find that they are all the same/ boring myself
Frog and Toad and anything by Arnold Lobel.
Also books by Lillian Hoban and Russell Hoban (Francis books, Arthur)
Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa (her talking horse!)
Geronimo Stilton is funny
A to Z mysteries... maybe scary for a 4 y/o?
Cynthia Rylant books (Henry and Mudge, Poppleton, Mr. Putter and Tabby... fun though quite easy/ very quick read)
Mercy Watson (he LOVES these, wish there were more)
The Boxcar Children and subsequent mysteries
My Father's Dragon and sequels
Appleville Elementary
Magic School Bus

Picture books that endure:
Toot and Puddle books (pre TV show)
Scrambled States of America and other Laurie Keller
People by Peter Spier
Richard Scarry storybooks
Anything by Tomie de Paola
Anything by Berke Breathed
Ms. Frizzle books (Imperial China, Ancient Egypt...)
He finds the Babymouse graphic novels hilarious though I don't know I'd have checked them out if DD (7) had not brought them home

We also LOVE the "You read to me, I'll read to you" books which he read with DD (now 7)
He has been obsessed with Highlights Magazine since he was about 18 months and probably taught himself to read using Highlights, we're not sure. But it's easy to throw one in my purse anywhere we go... also Puzzle Buzz magazine from Highlights as well.

I am getting a lot of use out of my library card!