PDA

View Full Version : what kind of doc would you see?

dec756
03-21-2011, 10:19 AM
my brother was in an accident 5 weeks ago and he remains in a vegetative state. he is 21 years old and my only brother. needless to say i am having trouble sleeping. cant stop thinking about it. very sad/anxious. what kind of doctor would i see to possibly seek some counseling and medication? thank you!

hillview
03-21-2011, 10:23 AM
psychiatrist

HUGS
and so sorry for your loss
/hillary

clc053103
03-21-2011, 10:37 AM
so very sorry....a terrible tragedy, I can understand why you would need some counseling and support!

I agree with hillary, psychiatrist would have the ability to prescribe meds as well as counsel.

dec756
03-21-2011, 10:42 AM
awesome thanks!!

TwoBees
03-21-2011, 10:43 AM
Yes, a psychiatrist (psychologists cannot prescribe medication). :hugs: I hope things work out.

babyonway
03-21-2011, 11:04 AM
dec756, I am so sorry this happened. I will be thinking of you and your family.

mackmama
03-21-2011, 11:28 AM
I am so sorry this happened. Many psychiatrists today focus on medication consultation instead of therapy. I would suggest seeing a psychologist for therapy plus a psychiatrist for a medication consult to assess if medication would be beneficial. If you want to see a psychiatrist for both, then ask a potential psychiatrist if s/he specializes in therapy in addition to meds.

egoldber
03-21-2011, 11:41 AM
I would suggest seeing a psychologist for therapy plus a psychiatrist for a medication consult to assess if medication would be beneficial.

I would agree with this. While medication may or may not be helpful, a therapist can help you by talking through your issues, help you with coping mechanisms, etc.

lilycat88
03-21-2011, 11:52 AM
Yeah, psychologist/therapist first. Medication is often less effective without counseling AND can take a while to ramp up in the system. A therapist can help with non medication methods while medication becomes effective (if medication is needed).

sste
03-21-2011, 12:02 PM
You may even be able to find a "health psychologist" or other therapist who has special experience dealing with health issues, hospice, caregiving, bereavement etc. You may want to try calling a few local hospices or "palliative care" doctors to see if they have any therapists they think highly of in terms of working with family dealing with long-term illness of family members or bereavement (I know your brother is not dead and many prayers he recovers but I think the basic idea is that at least right now you are experiencing a major loss). If you ask around, always phrase it as, "Is there someone you think so highly of that you would send your own family member to them in a similar situation?"

Again, very sorry to hear this news.

liamsmom
03-21-2011, 01:49 PM
If you have a general practitioner, you might want to start there. You'll probably have an easier time getting an appointment right away and s/he might be able to prescribe something for you. If your doctor can't or won't, then s/he can give you a referral. I'd also ask any family/friends if they have a recommendation for a therapist or counselor. The therapist can help you find a doctor or psychiatrist who can prescribe medication for you.

I'm sorry to hear your brother is still in a coma. I'm sending P&PT to you, him, and your family. :grouphug:

klwa
03-21-2011, 02:01 PM
If you have a general practitioner, you might want to start there. You'll probably have an easier time getting an appointment right away and s/he might be able to prescribe something for you.

:yeahthat: When my mother passed, my dad's GP was able to prescribe something quickly to help with the lack of sleep, etc. Both brothers ended up going to him as well. (He's also their normal doc. I'm the only one who doesn't live there.) For a quick thing, yoru GP may be able to help & you may feel more comfortable with them.