PDA

View Full Version : Install Position Question: Britax Marathon & 2006 PT Cruiser

lizzywednesday
03-21-2011, 10:54 AM
OK, I drive a 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser. It is equipped with outboard LATCH bars but the way I'm reading the owners' manual indicates that installing a seat in the center position requires the seatbelt install method over LATCH. It's written a little strangely, so it's confusing.

We just received a Britax Marathon for our daughter's birthday (I put 2 on her Amazon WishList - one for each car) and I'm eager to install it in my car but have some space concerns.

We've currently installed her baby bucket (Chicco KeyFit 30) in the outboard position because that's where the LATCH anchors are. (Obviously, when I install the Marathon, I will be removing the KeyFit from the backseat.)

I'm concerned that installing the MA outboard will butt up against the back of the passenger seat, so I'm considering the center install.

What do I need to know about seatbelt installs? How tough is it with a Britax? Can I still consider the path of least resistance and choose the outboard position LATCH-install with a 30-degree angle (which is our preferred angle, considering DD protests the baby bucket's 45 degree angle) ? Is there something I am missing?

TIA!

Joolsplus2
03-21-2011, 10:58 AM
If you can fit a Key Fit comfortably behind a driver or passenger (without it jamming into the seatback), a Marathon should also fit comfortably in the same spot. LATCH is considerably easier than belt with the new Britaxes, though I'm sure the belt in the middle is do-able, it might be a rather steep learning curve for you, something you might not want to tackle right away (getting the belt path figured out, the lockoffs, the recline, the top tether...it's just a lot more involved than clicking in the LATCH belts and pulling them tight). Plus, it's easier to hand her things if she's off to the side, rather than the seat blocking up everything :D

mg1278
03-21-2011, 12:49 PM
If you can fit a Key Fit comfortably behind a driver or passenger (without it jamming into the seatback), a Marathon should also fit comfortably in the same spot.

I just installed a KF in the passenger side seat that had previously held a Marathon. I had to move the front passenger seat up to accommodate the KF. The MA was installed at the more upright angle. So as Jools says, a MA will fit just fine in a space that a KF fits.

lizzywednesday
03-21-2011, 01:11 PM
If you can fit a Key Fit comfortably behind a driver or passenger (without it jamming into the seatback), a Marathon should also fit comfortably in the same spot. LATCH is considerably easier than belt with the new Britaxes, though I'm sure the belt in the middle is do-able, it might be a rather steep learning curve for you, something you might not want to tackle right away (getting the belt path figured out, the lockoffs, the recline, the top tether...it's just a lot more involved than clicking in the LATCH belts and pulling them tight). Plus, it's easier to hand her things if she's off to the side, rather than the seat blocking up everything :D

Thanks again Jools.

I just installed a KF in the passenger side seat that had previously held a Marathon. I had to move the front passenger seat up to accommodate the KF. The MA was installed at the more upright angle. So as Jools says, a MA will fit just fine in a space that a KF fits.

Yeah, we have the passenger seat scrunched up a bit so it's uncomfortable for anybody taller than about 5' due to the way the dash & glovebox are constructed, so it looks like I'll be out the use of my passenger seat 'til she outgrows the RF position. (No great loss, IMO, since I rarely drive anyone but DD anyway.)