PDA

View Full Version : Lovie advice re: DS's blanket

elektra
03-21-2011, 10:55 AM
DS is very attached to his blanket. He gets super grumpy when we have to wash it, he sleeps with it, carries it around, etc.
We have tried to give him other blankets to hold onto while we wash "the one" but he refuses anything else.
I think all our lives would be turned upside down if this thing was every misplaced! So I was thinking of getting a backup.
I have a few concerns though:
1) It's of course the most expensive baby blanket we own- a sage green Little Giraffe- Do kids usually latch on to the replacement lovie if it's the exact same model as the original, or do they still refuse it? I am concerned we will be out $60+ for a blanket DS doesn't even want.
2) The ones I see online look like a lighter color than we have. I'm concerned about getting the wrong one.
3)What about cutting the current one in half and sewing up the center? Is this a better alternative possibly?
4) How long do kids hang on to these kind of lovies/blankets? DD never got attached to an object.

mackmama
03-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Some of my friends have gotten a "backup" lovie and interchanged it successfully with the real thing. They substitute it regularly though - like whenever one gets washed, etc. If your DS has had his for awhile, it might take awhile for the backup to catch up in terms of scent, softness, etc. I'm not sure I'd chance cutting his current one in half as the difference in size might upset him.

ha98ed14
03-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Is it the kind with the silky trim all the way around? If yes, I'd try to sew something similar on the raw edge if you end up cutting it in half. It's actually not a bad idea.

Is there any way for you to see the one you might be buying? You could call Bergstroms or 3 little monkeys (Orange Circle) and ask if they have one.

DD is attached but it is to anything chenille. If buying another isn't an option, I'd cut it in half.

smiles33
03-21-2011, 11:39 AM
My DD2 is super attached to her lovey (a mini cuddle blanket about 8" wide with a satin border and fuzzy middle) and we bought another one shortly after she started the attachment. Recently one was misplaced at daycare (but found a few days later) so i bought another but the color difference is clear (pink vs. Faded gray/pink). Fortunately, she is fine with all 3. Of course, ours are the Nordstrom ones at $15 each so still cheaper than what you are considering!

Just thought I would share that it might be fine provided it feels the same. I honestly don't know how long she I'll use it as DD1 never had one either.

twowhat?
03-21-2011, 11:41 AM
I had to buy DD1's "extra" lovey (a blanket) on ebay as it wasn't sold in stores anymore - so search there to see if you can find one! DD1 loves her blanket but isn't attached to it to the same extent as DD2. How old is your DS? Depending on age, cutting it could have dramatic (negative) effects!!

DD2's lovey is a blanket that Grandma knit, so she simply knit another out of the same yarn.

DD2 is still incredibly attached to her blanket. With DD2, her blanket caused major transition issues in her daycare, and she will NOT sleep without it. We generally have to be sure we have it with us at all times. We made sure to rotate washing them so that any fading/wear appeared the same. From about 12-20 months, DD2 would DEFINITELY notice AND be upset if something was different. Now, at 2.5 years old, she knows there are more than one and is fine with it (as long as she has one!)

Melaine
03-21-2011, 11:47 AM
My girls were super attached to little bear blankets made by Carter's. They were discontinued and finding back-ups on ebay was difficult and was going to be expensive. I found Gund Comfy Cozy Cows on clearance (when Baby Center went out of business) for like $6.xx each so I bought 6. The Christmas when they were a little over 2 we made a BIG deal about getting the new cows. DH told them that we had to say bye bye to the bears. The cows were SO much softer and bigger the girls were enamored with them. I couldn't believe that they voluntarily "traded up". That night they asked for the bears but we reminded them that they had the cows and after that I don't think they mentioned them again. Two years later, they are just as attached to the cows and it is awesome to have six to rotate through.

BabyBearsMom
03-21-2011, 12:00 PM
I had a lovey when I was a kid and my parents bought three just to be safe. Funny thing was that I knew which one was the true lovey, could be satisfied with one of the others ones and absolutely detested the third. Like if my dad gave me the third one because he couldn't find the primary or secondary, it was thrown across the room and started a tantrum. In other words, you can buy a spare, but it might not work.

Fairy
03-21-2011, 12:21 PM
I've had mine my entire life. at age 7 it had to be replaced cuz it got thrown up on. :-(. My dad took me to the store and let me pick out any pillow i wanted to replace it, and I did and have it to this day. WAsn't the same, but I took it.

I would buy the backup, no question about it. If it's not exactly the same but very close, it'll do if it's that or no blankie. I have backups for DS, too. I wholeheartedly believe in the backup. Lovies ar serious business, and to be witout it, jsut thinking back for myself, was devastating.

joules
03-21-2011, 12:22 PM
:bag
4) How long do kids hang on to these kind of lovies/blankets? DD never got attached to an object.

*some* people are 30+ years old and STILL attached to their lovie. I'm not naming any names tho. :bag

elektra
03-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Fairy and joules! The "until age 30+" answer to the question about how long DCs stay attached to their lovies is not the answer I was looking for! ;)
However, I realize it will probably be long after age 2 so I probably need to just nut up and plop down the $60 for a new blanket.
I am still concerned about the color though. I don't think they sell this dark of a green any longer.

connor_mommy
03-21-2011, 12:43 PM
:*some* people are 30+ years old and STILL attached to their lovie. I'm not naming any names tho. :bag

I admit...I'm one of those people, my sis too! But we ended up giving it to our first borns...it just happened that way. DS#1 and Dnephew#1 are 7 and 8 years old. The hang on to these 30+ year old blankets for dear life. They are larger than regular lovies. They are faded and thining out due to age. Grandma has repaired them numerous times. I found the same fabric that mom used to make the lovies. She's made a few, but the boy always go back to the original. They don't bring them out of the house unless we're travelling. And when we do travel, it's in the carryon luggage.

I wouldn't cut the blanket to make two. It just wouldn't be the same and your DC will notice. I once removed a loose yarn that DS#1 pointed out. We'll, he couldn't find it at bedtime and was not happy about it. My DS wakes up and drapes it around himself. It's the first thing he grabs after school and basically keeps it near him until bedtime. Then he covers himself with it at bedtime. DS#2 has just noticed how attached his brother is to it, and has started to mess with the lovie to push his brother's buttons. DS#2 and DN#2 aren't into lovies.

arivecchi
03-21-2011, 12:49 PM
However, I realize it will probably be long after age 2 so I probably need to just nut up and plop down the $60 for a new blanket.
I am still concerned about the color though. I don't think they sell this dark of a green any longer.How about you show him the available colors on a computer and let him pick? I think you are right. That green seems to have been discontinued. I have the chocolate one and love it because it always looks super clean. ;)

BabbyO
03-21-2011, 12:51 PM
We got DS a "replacement" for his lambie blanket. I planned on getting the exact same thing, but when we found other blankets (same brand, but other animals) at a store for 1/2 the price we just let him try out a few. He latched on to the monkey...which as I said, is made by the same company, just a different color and animal.

For DS...all that mattered was the softness and shape. Both are super soft, with the animal head & tail more like a lovie than a blanket, but the "body" is like a blanket. Not sure if that makes sense - here's the blankets (scroll down) http://www.cuddleworks.com/Baby_GUND_Baby_Gifts_s/71.htm. He accepts either blanket (which has been a blessing for washing and times that one was left at the sitters or something).

lhafer
03-21-2011, 12:54 PM
I had a lovey when I was a kid and my parents bought three just to be safe. Funny thing was that I knew which one was the true lovey, could be satisfied with one of the others ones and absolutely detested the third. Like if my dad gave me the third one because he couldn't find the primary or secondary, it was thrown across the room and started a tantrum. In other words, you can buy a spare, but it might not work.

My DD1 has *3* lovies. They are all exactly the same blanket - same color, same everything. 2 of them I bought when she was born, one for home and one for daycare. They have the same "worn"ness. I bought the 3rd exact same blanket about a year later for the car. She HATES it. It hasn't been as washed as the others. I personally thought she would like it better because it's softer - but she really really doesn't like it. The other 2 she drags around with her all the time (she's 5 now), and I like that I can wash one and she can have one, and then swap. But they have a permanent dinginess to them, and I don't find them all that soft after umpteen washings. But they are her lovies, and she will have them as long as she wants them.

DD2 doesn't have a lovey yet. She just turned one, and sucks her thumb. Her lovey actually seems to be her hair - or mine. She loves to hold it, gently pull it, stroke it. I am trying to get her onto a different lovey, but so far - no dice.

Melaine
03-21-2011, 01:07 PM
We got DS a "replacement" for his lambie blanket. I planned on getting the exact same thing, but when we found other blankets (same brand, but other animals) at a store for 1/2 the price we just let him try out a few. He latched on to the monkey...which as I said, is made by the same company, just a different color and animal.

For DS...all that mattered was the softness and shape. Both are super soft, with the animal head & tail more like a lovie than a blanket, but the "body" is like a blanket. Not sure if that makes sense - here's the blankets (scroll down) http://www.cuddleworks.com/Baby_GUND_Baby_Gifts_s/71.htm. He accepts either blanket (which has been a blessing for washing and times that one was left at the sitters or something).

Those are what we have too....and I must say they are REALLY soft.

AnnieW625
03-21-2011, 01:23 PM
I did not need to see this thread as it looks like Little Girrafe blankets are quite addicting! I am contemplating buying DD2 a Little Giraffe blanket from Amazon (using my collection of Amazon discounts). DD2 is still happy with her Aden & Anais blankets so that's one thing that has been holding me back on buying it.

DD1 is very attached to her no longer able to find thermal weave blanket with satin trim and she is 5 and still very connected to it. She used to get pretty hysterical when we washed it but we just did it. Now she'll tell me it stinks and we need to wash it. It has a stain that won't come out of it now and I do have a replacement somewhere that is a lighter pink but I have no idea if she'll even take it, but I have yet to try.

Oh and I used my blanket till I was I was about 8 and then one night it fell down back behind my bed and I forgot about it. I think it might be in a box somewhere, but the thing was very tattered. My sister who is 23 still has hers and she took immaculate care of it.

arivecchi
03-21-2011, 01:25 PM
Annie, get it! Little Giraffe blankets are the bomb! Nothing compares! I want the adult version. :bag

vonfirmath
03-21-2011, 01:41 PM
My son had a "lovie" he was attached to at almost 2 -- it was one of the baby Tad dolls. I got two backups... and he stayed attached for about 9 months before discarding it for a newer stuffed animal.

joules
03-21-2011, 01:49 PM
In addition to *some* ppl still having a lovey....some people's sisters might have a few too. She started out with 1 or 2 items. The sister's mom, fearing that they would get worn out, bought her 1 or 2 more similar items (couldn't find the same exact ones). Then the mom put the new ones into bed with her...hoping she would get used to those so she could start rotating them. Well guess what....the sister latched onto all 3 or 4 of them! She needs them all in bed with her now.

elektra
03-21-2011, 02:08 PM
How about you show him the available colors on a computer and let him pick? I think you are right. That green seems to have been discontinued. I have the chocolate one and love it because it always looks super clean. ;)

I just tried this and I don't think he really knew what I was trying to ask him.
:tongue5:

So I'm thinking denim, mocha or celadon. It's a big decision! ;)

Pear
03-21-2011, 02:27 PM
We have two loveys for DD. We bought the second once it became clear she was getting attached. We keep one hidden and rotate once a week or so. Normally when it's bedtime and we suddenly can't find it.

lmh2402
03-21-2011, 02:30 PM
DS is excessively attached to "lamby" - just an angel dear "lovie" sized blankie

not super expensive, so i immediately lined up backups.

but like a pp mentioned, we rotate often - lamby gets washed every few days. new lamby comes out of the drawer, dirty lamby goes for a bath.

he doesn't mind from one lamby to the next. but he will not tolerate other animals as a substitute.

if i were you, i wouldn't risk cutting the OG. i'd buy another one and see if he liked it before you cut the tags.

ETA - it would help if i had read the whole thread. i see they don't have the same color. hmm... does he have a favorite color? you clearly aren't going to be able to cleanly swap it without him noticing. so maybe you could talk it up for something for him to be excited about. we also have a little animal pillow and larger sized napping blanket that i change each week when i change the bedding. they are not the same. so DS was getting a little weepy for his doggy or his monka-monk each sun night. now we talk about how exciting it is that doggy (or monka-monk) is coming for this week. how great it is that we get to see them b/c we haven't seen them for the past week. so lately sun nights have been joyful reunions with the swapped set. GL!

arivecchi
03-21-2011, 02:39 PM
I just tried this and I don't think he really knew what I was trying to ask him.
:tongue5:

So I'm thinking denim, mocha or celadon. It's a big decision! ;) LOL. Maybe tell him Mickey sent him this new special blankie because the green one is getting tired? :)

peanut520
03-21-2011, 02:45 PM
1) It's of course the most expensive baby blanket we own- a sage green Little Giraffe- Do kids usually latch on to the replacement lovie if it's the exact same model as the original, or do they still refuse it? I am concerned we will be out $60+ for a blanket DS doesn't even want.

dd is attached to skip the dog from bunnies by the bay. i bought her a back up when she was a few months old, but she never accepted it. they share the same bed and i try to wash them at the same time, but she can tell. she calls the original "puppy" and recently she named the second one "mushie."

Fairy
03-21-2011, 03:02 PM
In addition to *some* ppl still having a lovey....some people's sisters might have a few too. She started out with 1 or 2 items. The sister's mom, fearing that they would get worn out, bought her 1 or 2 more similar items (couldn't find the same exact ones). Then the mom put the new ones into bed with her...hoping she would get used to those so she could start rotating them. Well guess what....the sister latched onto all 3 or 4 of them! She needs them all in bed with her now.

Yes, this happened to us, too. He didn't need the rotation, he knew they were backups and was so happy that I had them. Well, I have 14 total (they're burp rags, started with 12, down to 7 in five years, then I bought another 7 as backup), and he sleeps with four at a time. Yeesh.

Fairy
03-21-2011, 03:07 PM
Fairy and joules! The "until age 30+" answer to the question about how long DCs stay attached to their lovies is not the answer I was looking for! ;)
I am still concerned about the color though. I don't think they sell this dark of a green any longer.

depends on the kid, Elektra! Ya take me, ya got little miss sensitive packrat everything has a soul can't say goodbye to ANYTHING. My friend who is little miss practical doesn't know what time her kids were born let alone have anything more than exactly what she needs. Don't worry yet! But if she does keep it forever ... I get her :-).

Have you tried ebay?

cucaw30
03-21-2011, 03:10 PM
DS#1 has a blue dog that he absolutely adores. We have 5 of them. One of them turned pink when I washed it with a red table cloth for his 1st bday party. That one is out of rotation. The rest are in varying degrees of dingy-ness. When I get out a newer one, I just tell him that "Big B" took a long bath and got super clean. He doesn't seem to mind. I'm not advocating getting a huge number of blankets for your son but DS#1 threw up a couple of weeks ago and we ended up having to replace all but one Big B through out the night (he uses him as a pillow). If my DS#1 could get away with it, he would bring his Big B everywhere. He tried bringing him into a restaurant this weekend and finally agreed to keep him in the car (after a few tears) when I told him that no dogs were allowed. I think that it's great that your son is so attached to his lovie!

We also have to be careful because he doesn't know that he has more than one and his Big B is still sold in stores (I see him at Kohl's every few months).

AnnieW625
03-21-2011, 03:17 PM
Annie, get it! Little Giraffe blankets are the bomb! Nothing compares! I want the adult version. :bag

And honestly I am afraid that DD1 is going to want one too! I am thinking about the raspberry one. as it might not show as much dirt as a light pink one would.

scriptkitten
03-21-2011, 03:22 PM
if i cut my DDs lovey in half she'd know it and she'd LOSE. HER. MIND. :) i wouldn't even try that sort of stunt.

in fact, she discovered that we had a "backup lovey" so now she insists on going everywhere with both. mommy fail.

joules
03-30-2011, 09:39 PM
Little Giraffe blankets are on sale at Gilt now. They have the chenille and satin ones.

lalasmama
03-30-2011, 09:54 PM
:bag

*some* people are 30+ years old and STILL attached to their lovie. I'm not naming any names tho. :bag

:bag :yeahthat:

ETA: I didn't realise this thread was a week old and updated about the sale going on. Silly me.

elektra
03-30-2011, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the update guys. They don't have the kind I would have needed on gilt so thankfully I don't have to kick myself for not waiting.
And for an update, DS does not really ike the new one I bought (another Little giraffe in the closest color I could find) :(
I am not giving up though, and I an trying to snuggle with the blanket myself to try and get him to warm up to it. It is pretty dang cozy- maybe it will become my lovie. ;)
I'm hoping he comes around on it.