PDA

View Full Version : Recommend your car (vehicle) seat protector

BabbyO
03-21-2011, 11:19 AM
DS is RF and now walking everywhere. Wet muddy shoes are a PITA...so I'm wondering what vehicle seat protectors people like out there. I have a towel up temporarily, but DH saw some protectors that his cousin got at a shower and now he wants something "less trashy" than a towel.

We'd prefer to not HAVE to take shoes off everytime we get in the car since DS is fights putting them on as it is somedays (somedays he begs to have them on...but that's another post in another area).

TIA!

BabyZen
03-21-2011, 06:06 PM
Ironically enough I just spoke with the highway patrol in my area about getting our infant car seat installed properly and asked about the car seat protectors. They said that they do not recommend it (and won't even install it) because of safety factors during a crash. Furthermore, even though some of the car seat protectors say that they are up to par with inspection, they are not ok'd by the highway patrol. Even a towel underneath a car seat is not recommended. With that said, I think you're stuck using that towel to cover the back part of the seat yet make it doesn't conflict with the proper fitting of the car seat. Though I would highly advise contacting your local highway patrol about their suggestions and maybe have them take a look. You have to consider what's really important here - your child's safety or keeping your car seat clean? Good luck!

:love5:

BabbyO
03-22-2011, 10:45 AM
This issue seems to have lots of conflicting advice. Over at Car-seat.org there are a multitude of threads...with advice both ways. From what I can tell, it seems to depend a bit on the car seat protector. Quite frankly, I don't really want one that goes under the car seat, just one that would cover the back of my vehicle seat. From what I can tell (in terms of what is available out there for seat protectors) my best bet IS a towel.

FWIW this was an interesting review of car seat protectors http://carseatblog.com/3275/seat-protectors-safe-for-use-or-vile-evil-predators-against-our-innocent-children/ though not exactly what I'm looking for...we have cloth seats...I could care less about the indents left by the car seat.

BabyZen - When you say to check your highway patrol? Do they have a car seat check? I just feel like if I called the patrol around here they'd act as if I'd just grown three heads asking a question like that. To say the least, car seat check points are few and far between around here, and most people think I'm nuts to even be looking for one!

BabyZen
04-07-2011, 03:59 PM
Sorry for the late reply...I never got a notification that you replied. :shrug:

As far as your questions goes, the highway patrol (at least in my state - CA) welcomes and encourages parents to have their car seat installed while they give you a brief rundown on the most up-to-date safety rules and regulations. Even a friend of mine who is on her 2nd baby went in to have her toddler car seat and infant car seat installed and they had no problem doing so.

From what I was told, they really prefer that you have the car seat properly installed because from experience they have witnessed too many unfortunate accidents that could have been prevented with a properly installed car seat.

Don't feel silly...even I felt silly at first. :hug5:

KrisM
04-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Sorry for the late reply...I never got a notification that you replied. :shrug:

As far as your questions goes, the highway patrol (at least in my state - CA) welcomes and encourages parents to have their car seat installed while they give you a brief rundown on the most up-to-date safety rules and regulations. Even a friend of mine who is on her 2nd baby went in to have her toddler car seat and infant car seat installed and they had no problem doing so.

From what I was told, they really prefer that you have the car seat properly installed because from experience they have witnessed too many unfortunate accidents that could have been prevented with a properly installed car seat.

Don't feel silly...even I felt silly at first. :hug5:

OT a bit, but make sure they aren't installing the seat for you. They should be showing you how to do it and making sure you can install it yourself.

BabyZen
04-07-2011, 07:02 PM
:yeahthat:

BabyZen
04-07-2011, 07:04 PM
OT a bit, but make sure they aren't installing the seat for you. They should be showing you how to do it and making sure you can install it yourself.

:yeahthat: