PDA

View Full Version : Crafty mamas, I need help

TwoBees
03-21-2011, 12:23 PM
I want to add an iron-on applique to a comfort silkie for DD. I have to use high heat. One side of the silkie is satin material, the other is flannel. The applique directions say to iron on the front side of the fabric for 10 seconds, and then on the back of the fabric for 30 seconds. First, can I do this without ruining the silkie, and second, which side should be the front (ie, which side can withstand the 30 seconds of high heat)?

egoldber
03-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Can you just sew it on instead of ironing it on? That's what I do with older DD's Girl Scout "iron on" patches because they always seem to fall off otherwise.

TwoBees
03-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Can you just sew it on instead of ironing it on? That's what I do with older DD's Girl Scout "iron on" patches because they always seem to fall off otherwise.

I could, but I'm not very handy with a needle. Would I just hand sew it with a loop stitch?

egoldber
03-21-2011, 12:35 PM
Well, I use my sewing machine. Hand stitching through an iron on applique might be a little difficult.

ohiomom1121
03-21-2011, 12:43 PM
I've applied patches with Liquid Stitch before and they stay put much better than ironing.
http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Stitch/dp/B002OEWQW0

ABO Mama
Honestly, I'd leave the applique off, to leave the silkie nice and soft.

BabbyO
I could, but I'm not very handy with a needle. Would I just hand sew it with a loop stitch?

I did all of DH's Kung Fu patches on his uniform this way. It is a bit time consuming and absolutely requires a thimble, but can be done. I think I'd recommend doing it this way. I'd be concerned with the heat on the blankie. I just did it at night while watching TV. I don't own a sewing machine and if I did, I'm pretty certain I couldn't get the needle threaded properly...