PDA

View Full Version : Can I get advice on stopping pumping/nursing only at night/AM?

luckytwenty
03-21-2011, 12:27 PM
I am not ready to wean 100%, but pumping is really getting to be a draining, time consuming experience, and now I am only producing about 1 1/2 bottles a day anyway, which doesn't seem like much for all the effort. My son is doing fine on formula and some cereal the rest of the day. During the weekends, I am able to nurse full time, which I enjoy, and that's why I've kept the pumping up. But I assume that if I stop pumping at work, on the weekends I will have to switch to the bottle for the most part, too. I'm a little sad about that part.

So right now I pump 2x a day, at 10 am and 3 pm, for 20 minutes. How can I gradually stop doing that? Today I waited till 11:30 and it was very uncomfortable! Should I spend a week pumping for less time 2x, then go to 1?

egoldber
03-21-2011, 12:30 PM
But I assume that if I stop pumping at work, on the weekends I will have to switch to the bottle for the most part, too. I'm a little sad about that part.

Not necessarily. Many women nurse only at night or on the weekends. Your supply may take a hit, but he may just nurse more to compensate.

If it were me, I would start by dropping one pump session. You may need to pump a very, very small amount to relieve discomfort. I would wait until you no longer feel full/engorged at that time and then drop the next session. If you drop them both abruptly, you could easily get a plugged duct or mastitis.

luckytwenty
03-21-2011, 12:35 PM
Not necessarily. Many women nurse only at night or on the weekends. Your supply may take a hit, but he may just nurse more to compensate.

If it were me, I would start by dropping one pump session. You may need to pump a very, very small amount to relieve discomfort. I would wait until you no longer feel full/engorged at that time and then drop the next session. If you drop them both abruptly, you could easily get a plugged duct or mastitis.

That would be awesome if I could keep nursing on the weekends. I didn't think that would be possible. Thanks for the advice. I hope it's not too uncomfortable.

wendibird22
03-21-2011, 01:42 PM
I am still nursing DD2 (15mos) nights and weekends and I pump weaned at 12mos. On weekends she usually asks to nurse minimally at naptime but sometimes earlier in the a.m. too and my supply accommodates.

For pump weaning, I was able to go from a morning and afternoon session just to a lunchtime session and then eliminated that. But, it sounds like after waiting out 1.5hrs longer than normal, you were uncomfortable. So, if I were in your shoes I'd probably keep the 10am and 3pm sessions and just slowly cut them back...so 15mins each, then 10mins each, and then you could probably move from 10 and 3 to just one mid-day session.