PDA

View Full Version : Allergy moms - quick help please:)

ahisma
03-21-2011, 01:24 PM
I'm making cookies for dad's nights at DS1's preschool tonight and am nervous about shared equipment for a child with nut allergies. We're vegan, so our wood rolling pin has been used often with almond / cashew / coconut milk doughs.

They're going to frost the cookies and add sprinkles. The teachers said that they'd just provide some fruit snacks for her, but I'd really like her to have a cookie to decorate too. Is there something packaged that I can buy that is totally safe? It's just nut allergies, everything else is fine.

Thanks!

- Samantha

BabbyO
03-21-2011, 01:33 PM
Enjoy Life brand foods are all free of the top 8 allergens (including nuts). They have several types of cookies...but I'm not sure if any are suitable for frosting & decorating. Maybe the gingerbread spice?

http://www.enjoylifefoods.com/our_foods/cookies.html

You may be able to find some of the flavors in a "regular" grocery store, but I tend to have better luck in Organic/speciality stores. I don't know if stores like TJ's carry them. We don't have one near us.

HTH!

Purple18
03-21-2011, 03:12 PM
I have to compliment you for being so caring and aware. Not everyone has this attitude and I'm sure the allergic parents would be so appreciative if they knew. My son is peanut/treenut allergic and the good life stuff would be an excellent choice and if you cannot locate these, we've had no issues with oreos and fig newtons (we used get the Newman Os and the Fig Newmans, but not sure these are safe even though they taste even better).

Edited: Not good life - enjoy life! Sorry!

katerinasmom
03-21-2011, 03:31 PM
My suggestion would be to call/email the child's parent and ask what would be acceptable. If it were my child and you called me, I'd probably thank you for letting me know your plans and your efforts to include my child and relieve you of that chore by telling you that I will find a suitable cookie and have my child's dad bring it with him so my child could participate in your activity. But, if you can't contact them, whatever you do bring in special for the child, make sure that you leave the packaging on with the ingredient list so the dad can check the ingredients for himself at the time.
Thank you from another food allergic mom. My child almost always has to go to the "safe snack box" and I always worry that she'll feel left out. I appreciate your efforts to make sure that all the kids are included.

BabbyO
03-21-2011, 04:06 PM
As OP's have said...thank you for being SO thoughtful. I meant to say that in my 1st post, but only had a second and forgot!

You rock...and are very thoughtful!

ShanaMama
03-21-2011, 04:25 PM
I have to compliment you for being so caring and aware. Not everyone has this attitude and I'm sure the allergic parents would be so appreciative if they knew.

:yeahthat: My DD2 has multiple food allergies & a mom in her daycare made cupcakes for a birthday. I would have been happy to know about it beforehand so I could send in a cupcake for DD. Would you believe this mother made the entire recipe egg free so DD could have one? I was so touched, I was almost in tears. They were fancy cupcakes & the one I sent in would have been puny in comparison, which made it all that much more thoughtful.

ETA: If you don't feel comfortable contacting the parents, asking the teacher might be a good idea as well, as the teacher is usually familiar with the extent of the child's allergies.

nicepersonfl
03-21-2011, 05:25 PM
As a FA mom, I know that I don't let my child eat food made from another family's home because I don't know about the cross contamination factor. Yes, your rolling pin, cookie sheets, and probably everything else in your kitchen is contaminated with trace material from tree nuts.

But I applaud you for thinking of this ahead of time!!!

I 2nd the notion to call the parent, or at least call the teacher!

I always have "alternative" snacks at the school: cookies, cupcakes (decorated with frosting & sprinkles), fruit bars, etc for just these kind of events. That way the teachers can go grab something similar & my child doesn't feel left out!

jenstring95
03-21-2011, 09:49 PM
Could you roll a bit of dough out with something else? A glass jar, etc. that has never touched nuts? You could roll them out and bake them separately on parchment paper so her cookies never touch your bakeware, etc. In any event, I agree that it is very thoughtful of you to think of her!

DrSally
03-22-2011, 12:01 AM
I would find a way to contact the parent as well. Thank you for being so thoughtful! I still don't accept home baked things unless they're made by relatives who know the drill. Most people don't think of the things you mentioned. I'd be happy to know ahead of time, and have a stash of goodies that are similar to what is being served ready to go.

Enjoy life is safe, also TJ's version of snickerdoodle cookies is identical to the Enjoy life snickerdoodles, $1 cheaper, and also safe (if it's a store that's close to you, EL can't be found everywhere).

alien_host
03-22-2011, 09:08 AM
I would find a way to contact the parent as well. Thank you for being so thoughtful! I still don't accept home baked things unless they're made by relatives who know the drill. Most people don't think of the things you mentioned. I'd be happy to know ahead of time, and have a stash of goodies that are similar to what is being served ready to go.

ITA with this. It is great you are so thoughtful. I would try to contact the parents though for the reasons above. We don't accept baked goods either (pre-packaged and safe would be fine) if we don't know the family well. I have a few friends and parents of classmates that I know "get it".

As a FA mama, I definitely appreciate the fact that you are trying to be inclusive!