PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with my 2.5 DS's sleep??

MSWR0319
03-21-2011, 07:07 PM
If anyone can help me I'd be very very greatful!! Let me first start out by saying DS has NEVER been a good sleeper. He did not sleep through the night (5 hours) until after he was one and only after about 4 rounds of CIO. Since then, he will go a few months sleeping all night and then we start all over with numerous night wakings. He was doing great until he was 2 and crawled out of his crib, which resulted in moving him to his toddler bed. Now, at 2.5 next month, he is getting up 3-4 times a night. He falls asleep on his own at bedtime, but is constantly waking up. I've tried letting him cry himself back to sleep, but he doesn't. He just sits in his bed and cries. When I finally go in there, I think he's still asleep even though his eyes are halfway open. I gently help him lay back down and he's instantly quiet and out for another couple hours. But, he shouldn't be doing this, right??? Most kids his age sleep through the night?? I am so exhausted it's ridiculous. He also doesn't nap well, he's waking up at exactly 42 minutes into his nap (I'm assuming the end of his sleep cycle). If I catch him just right he'll rock back to sleep (I know, not a good idea). Otherwise, I have an overtired cranky child. He's also waking up super early which leads me to believe his tired. But how do I correct this problem? What time should a 2 year old go to bed and what time should they wake up? How long should naps be?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I've read every book and nothing is working. He's a really bad sleeper and has been from day 1. But we all need some sleep..soon!

LMPC
03-21-2011, 09:45 PM
First a big :hug: sleeping issues are IMO the WORST! DD was never a good sleeper until about 20 months, so I can sympathize with you a bit. The all night wakings...the early morning risings!! Can't a mom catch a break?! Right now my 2.5 yo sleeps from 8p-7a and takes a 2-3 hour nap. But there are somethings that really mess her up...too much light in her room and she'll wake up. Too hot...she'll wake up. And once she's off her schedule, forget it... What I have learned is that she needs a very dark and cool room. Almost chilly. Is there anything about your DS's room that you might be able to change? Make it darker? Cool it down a little? Can you think of anything else that might be making him uncomfortable? Hmmm....just thinking out loud here.

BTW, if you don't get much traffic here, I would repost this thread to the lounge ;)

MSWR0319
03-22-2011, 10:33 AM
Thank you! I'm so jealous of her sleep, but it reassures me that the hours I'm trying to get out of him aren't abnormal. We have darkening shades in his room because of the time change and his room is the coolest in the house. I've sat in there at night trying to see if there's anything bothering him and I can't come up with it! I'll probably try posting to the lounge too. I was going to post e originally, but thought I should try here since its just about sleep.

Just noticed your DD was born the same month as DS, maybe there was something In the air that year affecting sleep! :)

LMPC
03-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Just noticed your DD was born the same month as DS, maybe there was something In the air that year affecting sleep! :)

LOL -- that would explain it! DD was such a bad sleeper for so long that I didn't know what to do with myself half the time. Seriously?! Who doesn't like to sleep -- it's so great!