PDA

View Full Version : Vent/Buyer's Remorse: My new City Select...

calirose
03-22-2011, 03:30 AM
I spent about a month researching strollers that convert from a single to a double for casual outings with my 3.5 yr old and 8 month old. I had eventually narrowed it down to the Baby Jogger City Select and the Britax B-Ready. BUT - since I've owned two other Baby Jogger strollers in the past and *loved* them both (BJCM and BJCMicroD), it was a relatively easy choice to go for the BJCS - despite the mixed reviews I read.

Well, my BJCS arrived today and I was SOOO excited to start breaking it in! I got it put together quickly and took the kids to the mall to try it out. Well, 2 hours and a few loops around the mall later - I'm not loving it. :( Considering how much I spent on this thing (I bought a 2011 model) I really want to love it, but there's a few things bugging me so far:
1) It's LONG, and I'm short, so it feels huge when I'm pushing it around.
2) It doesn't steer as well as I'd hoped. It's awesome when you're going straight and very easy to make tight turns with, but kinda cumbersome for small manuevers- like through a store!

I'm wondering if I just need to give it "more time" to get used to pushing it around???

What do you experienced stroller mamas think? Do you go with your gut feeling on a new stroller or try it out awhile before deciding it isn't meeting your needs? My previous Baby Joggers are strollers I loved from the very beginning, so this is definitely a dissappointing start for me with the BJCS.

scriptkitten
03-22-2011, 07:23 AM
Can you return it or sell it?

I'd try a Phil and Teds. They are very manueverable and not as long. I truly believe they have the in-line category locked down

The CS is beautiful. Too bad it pushes so poorly and is cumbersome.

wendibird22
03-22-2011, 08:53 AM
Well, I love mine so I say give it another go. Of course my only other stroller was a Metrolite so compared to that my CS is a dream. I guess I went into it knowing that any kind of double is going to be more difficult to push and heavier and bigger (either wider for a SBS or longer for an inline) than any single, so maybe I went into it with low expectations? IDK. But I do love it and my kids love riding in it.

arivecchi
03-22-2011, 11:21 AM
Those are the two most common complaints. I'd sell it ASAP and buy something I love.

Multimama
03-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Those are the two most common complaints. I'd sell it ASAP and buy something I love.

:yeahthat: But if you chose not to sell for some reason, you probably will get used to it and learn to appreciate the things you like about it and handle better the things you don't.

I agree that the BJCS is gorgeous and has great features, but I've heard too many complaints about the push and lack of maneuverability.

berlinsoul
03-22-2011, 04:01 PM
Well, I think I know what you are talking about.
I still try to learn to love the BJCE ... still no happy end!
Like you I am short and the thing does not get smaller even though I wish it would. I also think the push is not the smoothest compared with, for example, a MB... (at least in my imagination ;)
However, besides its size there are a lot of features that I really, really like and my DS seems to love his stroller... But still: Every time I use it I HATE that it is that tall, and honestly I think this is just a WASTE of energy that I could use for other things!

In other words: I think you should trust your first impression and if you can sell it and buy something you really like better I would absolutely agree with the others and buy something you love (P&T for example)!!! Do it quick ;)!

ashleybama24
03-22-2011, 04:09 PM
I had the same thing happen to me on the Vista. I just never ...loved it and wanted to so badly. I ended up selling it a few months after I bought it. My husband asked me if I was sad and honestly I was so excited to have sold it (and for more money than I paid!) and to try something new!

calirose
03-22-2011, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the input ladies! :) For the moment, I guess I'm in a "give it more time" phase. The weather was nice today, so we took the stroller out again this afternoon. The kids (especially my 3.5 yr old DD) seem to love it! I was surprised at how excited she was to ride in it today. The steering is a little easier with DD rear-facing in the front seat vs. forward facing, so I guess I can play around with the seat configurations a little and try to find a "sweet spot" for the steering. I'm guessing it would be WAY easier to push if I put my 8 month old in that outer seat, but let's be real - if you don't have twins, why would you want your younger baby so far away from you? What were you thinking Baby Jogger???

Anyway, there are definitely some features I LOVE:
1) the simple yet elegant hand brake
2) the big cushy wheels, and
3) the telescoping handle
SO... while I'm definitely still on the fence about the BJCS, I figure I should let my hubby try it out and take it out as a single a few times before I make any permanent decisions.

Besides, the Free Ride promo on the B-Ready doesn't end until June, so there's time for me to sell the BJCS if I decide I just can't live with it... :wink2:

Oh, and I should mention, I did try the P&T Explorer, and despite the fact that I'm only 5'1", I had issues kicking the back of the bottom seat. The Vibe2 looks AWESOME, but I'll admit that I'm scared off by the price tag, especially since I wouldn't be able to reverse the main seat.

Candyshop1999
03-23-2011, 06:21 AM
I have the B Ready and the BJCS. I just bought the CS when they went on sale, I loved the Ruby color and I wanted stadium seating. And honestly, I wanted to see if I made a mistake buying the BReady.
So after pushing the CS around for the past month or so, I took my BReady out for 4 hours yesterday.....holy crap that thing pushes way better than the CS. There is also MUCH more room between the 2 of them. The canopies are fab and the recline on the rear seat is great. Not to mention the PLUSH seats on the BR! The CS basket wins but the brake is a tie....they r both great.
Because u fold it with both seats on, it is heavier....but I would rather struggle for 5 seconds and really enjoy my 4 hours.

arivecchi
03-23-2011, 10:47 AM
I have the B Ready and the BJCS. I just bought the CS when they went on sale, I loved the Ruby color and I wanted stadium seating. And honestly, I wanted to see if I made a mistake buying the BReady.
So after pushing the CS around for the past month or so, I took my BReady out for 4 hours yesterday.....holy crap that thing pushes way better than the CS. There is also MUCH more room between the 2 of them. The canopies are fab and the recline on the rear seat is great. Not to mention the PLUSH seats on the BR! The CS basket wins but the brake is a tie....they r both great.
Because u fold it with both seats on, it is heavier....but I would rather struggle for 5 seconds and really enjoy my 4 hours.Thanks for the first person account! It confirms what I already suspected. The B-Ready always seemed to me to be the way to go.

ashleybama24
03-23-2011, 11:05 AM
Because u fold it with both seats on, it is heavier....but I would rather struggle for 5 seconds and really enjoy my 4 hours.

I decided the same thing! Yes it's a heavy stroller but it has such plush seats, an easy push and great sunshades I can deal with lifting it in and out of my car knowing my sons are comfortable and happy!

calirose
03-23-2011, 05:55 PM

Thank you so much for the direct comparison! It's funny, since I was actually thinking about the plush seats on the B-Ready after my little guy fell asleep in the stroller this morning. Then when I was packing up the car to come home, I was thinking about how nice it would be to not spend the extra time dissambling the stroller to fit it in the back of my car! :D Makes me feel a little less crazy for not being immediately in love with the City Select.

Anyway, I took my stroller out in single mode today with my little guy, and I have to say, the CS is growing on me. :) BUT, I'm still thinking I may end up selling it sooner or later... As expected, the CS pushes SO MUCH BETTER as a single vs. a double! For a Baby Jogger, the steering was still a little stiff - I could push and steer with one-hand, but I still felt some resistance when trying to navigate store aisles/displays. But overall, I was pretty impressed with how it pushed when I was at full stride. So my next "test" will be a 1.5 mile walk to my neighborhood Starbucks. I've yet to use the stroller outdoors, and that's where I'll be using it most of the time once the weather gets nicer here (which should be soon, fingers crossed!). My last (big)reservation about the B-Ready is how well the skinny plastic wheels will perform/hold up if I'm pushing it on paved trails and sidewalks 70% of the time.

Anyone have any thoughts on how the B-Ready does outdoors? Especially through neighborhoods with uneven sidewalks? TIA!!! :bowdown:

ashleybama24
03-24-2011, 03:45 PM
Anyone have any thoughts on how the B-Ready does outdoors? Especially through neighborhoods with uneven sidewalks? TIA!!! :bowdown:

It doesn't have as smooth of a push as the Vista or BJCE. It feels sluggish if that is possible when turning. We don't have sidewalks in our neighborhood (not sure what they were thinking back in the 1930s and 40s) so we have often have to walk in someones yard to get out of the way of a car. The B-Ready does great...never had a problem with it through various terrains. Our roads aren't exactly smooth either and I love that it has shock absorbers. My husband laughed when he saw that and likes to bounce DS when we are walking. The tires have done great so far but I don't understand why these stroller companies put plastic tires on strollers in general. At least give us the option to buy air or foam filled ones as an accessory.

Overall I love the stroller. I too debated between the BJCS (since I love my BJCE) and the B-Ready but just felt the BJCS was too long. I also didn't like how low one of the seats sat to the road. I think if I had twins or two toddlers who wanted to see out the stadium seating would be great. But since I have 1 toddler and 1 soon to be newborn the B-Ready was just a better fit.

Hope that helps!

wendibird22
03-24-2011, 04:37 PM
You can fold the CS with both seats forward facing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4czQ5Fxr51k (go to the 6min mark to see).

calirose
03-24-2011, 07:22 PM
The B-Ready does great...never had a problem with it through various terrains. Our roads aren't exactly smooth either and I love that it has shock absorbers. My husband laughed when he saw that and likes to bounce DS when we are walking. The tires have done great so far but I don't understand why these stroller companies put plastic tires on strollers in general. At least give us the option to buy air or foam filled ones as an accessory.

Thanks ashley, I'm glad and relieved to hear it's been great so far for you! BTW, my thoughts exactly on the accessory wheels... Maybe they'll come out with that next year. :)

You can fold the CS with both seats forward facing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4czQ5Fxr51k (go to the 6min mark to see).

Awesome, thank you Wendibird!!! I was searching YouTube for a video demo of the fold, but there wasn't anything obvious. Now I just need to figure out if I can get it in my car folded, LOL!

calirose
03-30-2011, 06:02 PM
I've had my City Select for 10 days now, so I figured it was time for a little update. :)

For a couple of days I was *loving* the stroller. I installed the infant car seat adaptor and was really enjoying how easy it was to get around with my little guy, add the extra seat for my big girl and do a bunch of shopping without having to use store carts! In fact, I was feeling pretty confident that I was going to keep the stroller. Until yesterday...

It breaks my heart to admit it, but the City Select is a major P. I. T. A ('A' for Arm) to push through my neighborhood!!! Around here the sidewalks slope toward the street whenever there's a driveway. And the weight and overall easy glide of BJCS means that it wants to ride the slope out to the street at every driveway!!! So *every* time I walked past a house (about every 30 seconds) I found myself gripping the handle really hard and trying to use my arms to re-direct the stroller to keep it straight. My arm and shoulder were hurting after about 5 minutes of walking through the neighborhood. If I locked the front wheels straight, the problem was a lot less severe, but still there. Even as a double with my 3.5 yr old over the front wheels, the stroller was great on the paved trail to the park, it practically pushed itself. It even did fantastic through the tan bark around the park, but it was just too much work to push on my local sidewalks. I'm so bummed... :crying:

I'm still seriously considering the B-Ready, but if I get that, I really, *really* want the Twilight color, which won't be available for at least another 2 weeks, *sigh*. And in the back of my mind is the nagging thought that I might have the same problem with any tandem double I try pushing in my neighborhood... Grrr.

Now I need to convince my hubby that buying another stroller before I sell this one is a good idea. Maybe I should just start a stroller rental business, LOL!

Lupe
03-30-2011, 06:11 PM
I originally purchased a BJCS and regretted it. I returned and got an uppababy vista and I am much happier. Given ur situation, getting the basinet and all may not make sense, But the push is so much better, same for the bready
Heard that the bugaboo donkey is great

Candyshop1999
03-30-2011, 09:12 PM
Anyone have any thoughts on how the B-Ready does outdoors? Especially through neighborhoods with uneven sidewalks? TIA!!! :bowdown:[/QUOTE]

Honestly, no. I have a double Bob that I use for everything outside. I would have gotten a P&T if I had to just pick one. Bob #rules every outside activity and the BReady for all my food shopping, mall, Target, indoor etc errands.

ckelly
03-30-2011, 09:28 PM
Going to try it out tomorrow if the weather cooperates. I'll report back.

jacksmoma
03-30-2011, 10:55 PM
i had the select and HATED it as a double- might as well get a double graco instead! it was so long and impossible to move. as a single is was ok, great fold but poor steering. also had weird seat heights- either seat had to be super high and no room for my hands to grip the handle bar or the seat was super low to the ground and looked odd imo. i much prefer the bjcm to the select. i would go for the b-ready if you have to have an inline, out of all the doubles i've had though i always come running back to my double bob! really rocks :)

calirose
03-31-2011, 01:11 AM
i had the select and HATED it as a double- might as well get a double graco instead! it was so long and impossible to move. as a single is was ok, great fold but poor steering. also had weird seat heights- either seat had to be super high and no room for my hands to grip the handle bar or the seat was super low to the ground and looked odd imo. i much prefer the bjcm to the select. i would go for the b-ready if you have to have an inline, out of all the doubles i've had though i always come running back to my double bob! really rocks :)

I loved, loved, LOVED my BJCM... I think that's part of the reason why I'm extra disappointed with the Select, doesn't quite live up to my expectations of a "Baby Jogger" stroller, KWIM?

The double BOB has always been tempting... But I'll admit that some sort of insanity overcame me recently and I decided that I *must* downsize to ONE stroller. So I sold the 4 strollers I had (BJCM, Snap n go, City Micro Double, and Combi) to buy the BJCS. What was I thinking?!? :banghead:

I'm realizing I may just have to go back to having at least 2 strollers (an indoor/shopping stroller, and an outdoor AT double) to save my sanity.

Candyshop1999
03-31-2011, 09:05 PM
If u can swing it, u def need 2 strollers (if u have 2 kids). There is no push like a SBS, air tire push....which is just not practical indoors :(

scriptkitten
03-31-2011, 09:57 PM
If u can swing it, u def need 2 strollers (if u have 2 kids). There is no push like a SBS, air tire push....which is just not practical indoors :(

i'm a stroller addict, so i can't argue with that, BUT i really do think that a phil & teds is perfect if you can only do one stroller. especially if you have the sort of spacing the OP has. in all likelihood, the 3.5yr old will dig the backseat and the push is totally great and you can take it everywhere.

i LOVE my BOB and my new BJCMD is a nice toy, but if i had to consolidate down to one stroller, i'd keep my P&T, no question... actually, i'd sell all three of my strollers for the new VIBE2 for the upgrades that it provides... it really perfects the stroller, imo.

Candyshop1999
03-31-2011, 10:02 PM
Totally agree. Vibe 2 will be my # 11 :)

scriptkitten
03-31-2011, 10:26 PM
Totally agree. Vibe 2 will be my # 11 :)

i really really just want them to sell that backseat sunshade separately.

i sent my Vibe to P&T because i was irritated that the "major change" on the vibe2 was the J-bar on the front wheel. my vibe v.1 front wheel was slanted/tilted and i had the famous "wobble" whenever i broke into a run to cross the street before the light changed. i called them and was like "woah, you can't just fix a known issue on the older models and leave the rest of the early adopters to suffer with a safety/quality issue". i was super diplomatic and they agreed to fix it for free.

instead of fixing it, they replaced the entire front end of my Vibe, so its basically a Vibe2 on the front :)

i don't have issues with the handle (its ergonomic enough for me) so all i really need is that sunshade for the back seat and i'll be happy!

lks
06-15-2011, 02:51 PM
So I am having similar dilemma. I am flirting with purchasing the BJCS this summer because I want big air tires (better for long walks, etc), but we are thinking of having our 2nd baby, so I want to buy something that will be good for 2 kids next summer and we don't want to buy a side by side.

How are you liking the BJCS now? I looked at the B-Ready, too, but I don't like the wheels! They are just plastic. I want the air feel. I am torturing myself trying to figure out what to do.

Candyshop1999
06-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Do not buy a BJCS. It's awful. And since this thread, I bought an Uppababy Vista and that too didn't knock me out. The BR pushes better as a double than the Uppa, esp one handed. And the Uppa did not fair well outside either.

I would get a P&T if I were u. No doubt. Get the Vibe 2 and if and when u have another baby, u can bet the rumbleseat. I have twins so I have to have a double.

Please, for the love of a good push, do not get a BJCS!
If u r still thinking about it, go to buy buy baby and load the 2 seats with Dreft. Push it around and tell me what u think. That's what the salesman there did for me and I bought the BR instead.....

arivecchi
06-15-2011, 03:34 PM
I so don't get the allure of the City Select.

Pushes like you are going uphill.

Looks weird.

Small seats.

Long and big as a single. :thumbsdown:

OTOH, good side by side strollers rock and most fit through standard doorways!

jacksmoma
06-15-2011, 04:45 PM
I so don't get the allure of the City Select.

Pushes like you are going uphill.

Looks weird.

Small seats.

Long and big as a single. :thumbsdown:

OTOH, good side by side strollers rock and most fit through standard doorways!

WSS!! i sold all my strollers too in hopes the select would do it all- man alive that thing was LONGGGGG as a double and impossible to push! Just a nightmare really. Love my bob duallie and bee but wish i too could just have one stroller. I think the bob single with the option of reclining the seat is the way i will go in a few months as my oldest nears 4 years old and is mainly scooter riding these days....no stroller will ever live up to a bob imo! push, size of seat, and looks. and oh yeah my hubby takes our youngest on jogs so has to be a bob....

Candyshop1999
06-15-2011, 09:27 PM
SBS just dont fit in all doorways (like my sliding doors in the basement) and they don't fit in many shopping aisles/narrow sidewalks. Otherwise I would have never had to buy every inline there is :(

abh5e8
06-16-2011, 08:54 PM
i'm way curious about that vibe 2...does it REALLY fold that small with both seats on???

lks
06-17-2011, 12:23 PM
Ok. Silly question. When do most average toddlers reach 33 lbs (the Phil & Teds Doubles Kit weight limit)??? I would be afraid to invest in the Phil & Teds if the doubles kits becomes unusable too soon.

legaleagle
06-17-2011, 12:27 PM
Ok. Silly question. When do most average toddlers reach 33 lbs (the Phil & Teds Doubles Kit weight limit)???

YMMV, of course, but according to the CDC growth charts it's about 3-3.5.

lks
06-17-2011, 12:27 PM
It doesn't have as smooth of a push as the Vista or BJCE. It feels sluggish if that is possible when turning. We don't have sidewalks in our neighborhood (not sure what they were thinking back in the 1930s and 40s) so we have often have to walk in someones yard to get out of the way of a car. The B-Ready does great...never had a problem with it through various terrains. Our roads aren't exactly smooth either and I love that it has shock absorbers. My husband laughed when he saw that and likes to bounce DS when we are walking. The tires have done great so far but I don't understand why these stroller companies put plastic tires on strollers in general. At least give us the option to buy air or foam filled ones as an accessory.

Overall I love the stroller. I too debated between the BJCS (since I love my BJCE) and the B-Ready but just felt the BJCS was too long. I also didn't like how low one of the seats sat to the road. I think if I had twins or two toddlers who wanted to see out the stadium seating would be great. But since I have 1 toddler and 1 soon to be newborn the B-Ready was just a better fit.

Hope that helps!
So with the B-Ready, can you easily drive up onto a curb? Or if you hit a bump, does it stop you or can you just keep pushing? I am so concerned about those plastic tires!! And the BJCS has plastic tires in the front.... SO, I would assume it also has difficulty pushing over uneven sidewalks, up onto curbs, etc. PLEASE tell me how both the B-Ready and the BJCS push in these situations!

ckelly
06-17-2011, 02:01 PM
I've had no problems going up a curb or when hitting bumps. I've had it in the mall, a mulch playground, across a field in thick grass, gravel and it did fine. It doesn't handle it near as well as my indie but I don't expect it to and I only do it from time to time. I may never even push it across a field again, I just did it to see if I could ;) . If I were doing a lot of trails etc I'd steer clear of the bready but for occasional use it does well. Oh, and during those outings it was loaded with a 30lb 2 year old and a 8lb newborn. hth

ashleybama24
06-17-2011, 05:04 PM
So with the B-Ready, can you easily drive up onto a curb? Or if you hit a bump, does it stop you or can you just keep pushing? I am so concerned about those plastic tires!! And the BJCS has plastic tires in the front.... SO, I would assume it also has difficulty pushing over uneven sidewalks, up onto curbs, etc. PLEASE tell me how both the B-Ready and the BJCS push in these situations!

The B-Ready is not an AT stroller so the push isn't as smooth if you had air tires. I haven't had a problem with the wheels, they are pretty durable. Uneven sidewalks, bumpy terrains, uneven paved road....no problems. DS actually claps when he sees me get it out so it must be comfortable. I have had to lean the stroller back to get up a curb but you are talking about a 4inch/6inch? step up. Even with my jogging stroller I do that.

I have never owned the BJCS just tested it in store. It's longer than the BReady so it's harder to turn and steer. The seats also sit lower to the ground so I felt like the child in front was REALLY far away.

ashleybama24
06-17-2011, 05:12 PM
I love that the b-Ready is inline and works well for a newborn and toddler. It's great for narrow doorways and small spaces. Is this my one and only stroller? Heck no! I have 2 others (ok 4 if you count the bike trailer and travel system in attic) and will probably add a double AT to the mix this summer.

IMHO it's the best option for 2 kids (baby and toddler) when BOTH are dedicated riders and you want an inline and don't need/want an AT.

scriptkitten
06-17-2011, 05:18 PM
i'm way curious about that vibe 2...does it REALLY fold that small with both seats on???

It's the most compact fold of all my double strollers but actually folding it is a pita. I still love my vibe

AnnieW625
06-17-2011, 06:25 PM
but actually folding it is a pita. I still love my vibe

I seriously thought about getting a Vibe 2 instead of the duallie, but the few friends I had that have one said that the fold was a pain so I sacrificed smaller and easier manuevarability and decided that the Bob Duallie was the way to go. Now my Duallie has been everywhere including the mall and a small Hanna Andersson store and it's done just fine.

abh5e8
06-17-2011, 11:08 PM
It's the most compact fold of all my double strollers but actually folding it is a pita. I still love my vibe

thanks! i have a sport (i think...its older) that i love...but hate how big the fold is.

mjhom
06-23-2011, 02:28 PM
I have also been looking at double strollers - narrow enough to go through stores in the mall, but easy to push & maneuver. I'm petite so that is a must.

I've been waiting for the MB Duet- 25" wide, SBS & an AT stroller. Are there cons about this one that turned you away?