PDA

View Full Version : Probiotic Reccs Needed!

ecofem
03-22-2011, 08:49 AM
Hi there!

I was just put on Augmentin for a sinus/ear infection (helllooo spring!).... I am in need of a probiotic reccomendation (tummy already unhappy after taking the antibiotic for a day)... something that is available in a national drugstore chain is preferable since I work in an area where a natural food store is not located. TIA!!

ecofem
03-22-2011, 12:40 PM
Bueller? Bueller?

Tondi G
03-22-2011, 12:50 PM
I usually take Jarrow brand or Udo's choice.... both are in the refridgerated section at a health food store or Whole Foods.

I think Align is available at drug stores, not sure how effective it is though

http://www.amazon.com/Align-Digestive-Probiotic-Supplement-count/dp/B0031RGL66/ref=pd_sbs_hpc_4

I don't know where you live but you could look for a Vitamin Shoppe

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/content/en/stores/index.jsp;jsessionid=Z02TO2OK4VA5ECTLKKEVAFYKNNJIQ UNE?intsource=header&tab_selection=vitamins

or a GNC

http://www.gnc.com/storeLocator/index.jsp

these places should have better brands of probiotics than the ones carried at a drugstore.

AnnieW625
03-22-2011, 01:18 PM
I just started taking NSI's Probiotic (two weeks ago) that I bought through VitaCost.com and I don't really think it is all that effective. It's the first probiotic I have ever used. Costco has the best deal on Align I think. I have thought about using that one too. I have IBS with constipation and I was hoping it would help move things along and it hasn't really done that yet.

kwc
03-22-2011, 01:51 PM
Florastor is a yeast-based probiotic so it is not wiped out by antibiotics.
Haven't used it myself (except giving it to DD when she was on antibiotics though she didn't really have any issues to begin with) but it is often used in patients with C. difficile colitis for which they often have to take very strong antibiotics.
It's not that easy to find though.... some Walgreens carry it...

mom2one
03-22-2011, 02:14 PM
Align is great. I have used it several times in the last few months. Took it two weeks ago to help fend off a virus going around a school, and it did help. You only have to take it once a day.

mikala
03-22-2011, 02:31 PM
I've had good luck with Florajen capsules. It's available refrigerated from the pharmacy counter at our Walgreen's and I think Target also carries it.

I haven't tried other brands or researched this as thoroughly as I do some things so take my rec w/ a grain of salt.

Good luck!

calv
03-22-2011, 02:37 PM
whole foods has an excellent selection and just so you know the 'live' kind is what you should get so it's always found in the refridgerated section :D

mackmama
03-22-2011, 03:16 PM
Hi there!

I was just put on Augmentin for a sinus/ear infection (helllooo spring!).... I am in need of a probiotic reccomendation (tummy already unhappy after taking the antibiotic for a day)... something that is available in a national drugstore chain is preferable since I work in an area where a natural food store is not located. TIA!!

I was just put on Augmentin for a SI too. Can I ask how long your prescription is for? Mine is for 7 days, but I thought I normally took it for 10 or maybe 14 days. Is your prescription for 1 pill, twice a day?

MommyAllison
03-22-2011, 06:11 PM
We've used Nature's Way for a couple years, and been very happy with it. No tummy troubles w/abx for the kids when we use the probiotics. We use the powder and stir it into yogurt, applesauce, etc. This is the one we usually buy, it is refrigerated: http://www.iherb.com/Nature-s-Way-Primadophilus-Reuteri-Superior-Probiotic-5-oz-141-75-g/4676?at=0

Our grocery store carries it in the natural section (w/organic milk, etc), and so does the local tiny health supplement store.

ecofem
03-22-2011, 06:27 PM
I am on 1 pill/2x per day for 10 days... I am on day 2 and already feeling ick. I don't usually have problems with antibiotics.

Thanks everybody for advice!

Tondi G
03-22-2011, 06:55 PM
I am on 1 pill/2x per day for 10 days... I am on day 2 and already feeling ick. I don't usually have problems with antibiotics.

Thanks everybody for advice!

I was just on augmentin for 10 days, 2 times a day. I have never felt so awful. I was so nauseous and had a metallic taste in my mouth. It didn't kill my sinus infection either. This was after a round of Omnicef. When my ENT wanted to continue with a 3rd round of abx I asked to go back on the Omicef cause the Augmentin made me feel so awful. I am 2 days away from being done with the Omnicef and still having green mucus.... at least the pain in my face seems to have cleared up though.

I refuse to go on a 4th round of antbiotics.... I am going to see about a visit with the acupuncturist and see if he can drain my sinuses and maybe look into some other homeopathic options.

Hope the Augmentin clears your sinus infection.... it is hard on the tummy... drink lots of water/fluids and make sure you take it with food.

Melbel
03-22-2011, 08:00 PM
Five Lac (http://www.amazon.com/Global-Health-Trax-Fivelac-60-Count/dp/B000OOLYO8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300838291&sr=8-1), available on amazon.com (if you choose amazon as the seller then you can save 15% using subscribe and save) has worked by far the best for my IBS and yeast issues (better than the refrigerated ones IME).

Align and Florastor also get pretty good reviews and are available in B&M stores.

mackmama
03-22-2011, 08:00 PM
I am on 1 pill/2x per day for 10 days.

Thank you for letting me know. It sounds like a 10-day course is pretty typical. I hope the probiotics help you feel better!

I was just on augmentin for 10 days, 2 times a day. I have never felt so awful. I was so nauseous and had a metallic taste in my mouth. It didn't kill my sinus infection either. This was after a round of Omnicef. When my ENT wanted to continue with a 3rd round of abx I asked to go back on the Omicef cause the Augmentin made me feel so awful. I am 2 days away from being done with the Omnicef and still having green mucus.... at least the pain in my face seems to have cleared up though.

I refuse to go on a 4th round of antbiotics.... I am going to see about a visit with the acupuncturist and see if he can drain my sinuses and maybe look into some other homeopathic options.

Hope the Augmentin clears your sinus infection.... it is hard on the tummy... drink lots of water/fluids and make sure you take it with food.

Wow I am so sorry you've had so much trouble getting rid of your sinus infection. It sounds like a nightmare. It sounds like maybe your sinuses need to be drained like you said.

I've been on Augmentin several times over the years and have never really had too much stomach upset, although the pharmacist did recommend a probiotic along with it the last time I got it. I still have them, so I might take them this time too... although I'm not sure if probiotics expire, and they've been in the fridge for about a year.

mjmamma
03-22-2011, 08:43 PM
My super health conscious friend recommends PB8

essnce629
03-22-2011, 09:35 PM
I and both kids take Culturelle. It's the one probiotic that has been used in the majority of the scientific studies (400+) that show the benefits of probiotics. It contains Lactobacillus GG and is shelf stable (although I keep it in the fridge once I get it). The cheapest place to get it is from Vitacost.com for about $15 for a 30 day supply, but they do sell it at Target, CVS, etc (you'll just pay more). Some independent group also looked at different probiotics to see how many actually contained the amount of bacteria that is advertised on the package (most start out with the amount they say, but only a few guarantee that amount once the package is opened). Culturelle is one of the few that actually contained the amount advertised when opened (10 billion cells).

Oh, and I highly recommend the book The Probiotics Revolution. It tells you which strain of bacteria is best for different problems (general health, increased immunity, digestive issues, eczema, yeast, etc) so you know what probiotic is best to buy at the store.

The Probiotics Revolution
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0553384198

mariza
03-22-2011, 09:53 PM
I used to take Culturelle with good effects then got away from taking any for a while. Recently I ordered some Align from Amazon (decent price through subscribe & save). With Align both DH and I had some "tricky" first couple of days, but after the 3rd day things seemed to regulate a bit. If you work outside the home I would recommend starting Align on a day you will be close to home :o but I have been happy with it now that Ive been taking it for 3 weeks.

mjmamma
03-23-2011, 08:19 AM
I and both kids take Culturelle. It's the one probiotic that has been used in the majority of the scientific studies (400+) that show the benefits of probiotics. It contains Lactobacillus GG and is shelf stable (although I keep it in the fridge once I get it). The cheapest place to get it is from Vitacost.com for about $15 for a 30 day supply, but they do sell it at Target, CVS, etc (you'll just pay more). Some independent group also looked at different probiotics to see how many actually contained the amount of bacteria that is advertised on the package (most start out with the amount they say, but only a few guarantee that amount once the package is opened). Culturelle is one of the few that actually contained the amount advertised when opened (10 billion cells).

Oh, and I highly recommend the book The Probiotics Revolution. It tells you which strain of bacteria is best for different problems (general health, increased immunity, digestive issues, eczema, yeast, etc) so you know what probiotic is best to buy at the store.

The Probiotics Revolution
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0553384198

Should I be refrigerating pills?

mariza
03-23-2011, 10:12 AM
Depends on which ones you buy. Culturelle as I recall should be refrigerated but the Align I currently take does not require it.

mjmamma
03-23-2011, 10:27 AM
Thanks Mariza, I'm new to the probiotics world :)