PDA

View Full Version : Baby Jogger City Mini or Zooper Waltz?

mamakate
03-22-2011, 10:19 AM
I looked at these two strollers in person and like different aspects of both. I love the look of the City Mini and the handling. I also like the handling of the Zooper Waltz and the "cushyness" of the inside. My baby is almost 3 months old and this willl be our main stroller for the spring/summer and as she grows. We mainly go on walks in our neighborhood (which has lots of uneven sidewalks) and will use it at parks/some trails on our summer vacation.

Anyone have an opinion one way or another, or have experience with both strollers? I know that I can buy a snuzzler for the inside of the City Mini until she is a little bigger, but the inside of the Waltz seemed better suited for her while she is under 6 months. Any input is appreciated!

spannaz
03-22-2011, 10:49 AM
You will likely get a lot of votes for the City Mini from the board members here, as that seems to be a fan favorite (and rightly so :)).

But have you thought about an air tire option? This would provide a smoother ride for baby, especially on uneven sidewalks and some rougher terrain such as parks/ trails. If you're looking for something on the lighter side, and would be ok with air tires I would look into the Mountain Buggy Swift, or Bumbleride Indie. Both are suitable for your 3 month old as they recline flat. If they are a bit out of your price range, perhaps a gently used one off of Craigslist, or the members here may be able to help you find a great deal on one.

HTH! :wavey:

Edensmum
03-22-2011, 09:19 PM
I have the Waltz arriving tomorrow. I will check back after I check it out a bit. I was not a fan of the BJCM, I really don't like the seat or how babe is swallowed by that stroller and really inside it. I like the flat bottom seats, or he does. I wish I had taken pics of him in both to illustrate what I mean, maybe I'll try this. He is 14 months old BTW.
I liked the material, the push, the features like the canopy of the BJCM but I really disliked the seat and thought with the board in the back and not the bottom of the seat it didn't seem like it would be comfy to lay in. That said, I know a lot of people love this stroller and it gets great reviews.
I have no real thoughts on the Waltz yet so I'll let you know.
If you spend a lot of time off roading though, you may look into the larger wheel or air tire strollers.

calirose
03-23-2011, 06:35 PM
I had a City Mini for over 2 years and LOVED it overall! But when my DD was smaller I did feel like she was getting swallowed up by the seat. Before I sold it last summer, (which I *still* regret doing) I put my then ~2.5 month old in it with a kiddopotamus snuzzler - he looked very cozy. :) Before I started on my quest for the perfect double stroller (ha!), I also looked at the Waltz as a nice out & about stroller for me & my youngest and replacement for the BJCM (which I never bought the car seat adapter for, otherwise I would have kept it). Anyway, I really like that the Zooper Waltz comes with a nice range of accessories: infant headrest, rain cover, car seat strap, baby snack tray, foot muff. You have to buy all that separately for the City Mini. A few other plusses in my mind for the Waltz:

1) It has an adjustable legrest. That wasn't a feature on my City Mini, and it always bugged me to see DD's legs dangling there before she "grew into" the stroller.
2) It stands while folded. This might not sound like a big deal, but when you're out somewhere (a restaurant for example) and you want to get the stroller out of the way, it's really nice to not have to worry about the stroller falling over or being in the way.

Happy shopping and good luck with your decision!

calirose
03-23-2011, 06:46 PM
Oh, and I should add - the BJCM pushed great around my neighborhood. We took LOTS of walks on paved trails, dirt/gravel trails, sidewalks with sloping driveways, etc. We also took it on vacation with us to NYC, and loved being able to fold it quickly when getting on the bus/subway. And I definitely appreciated being able to quickly and easily wash the fabric, either in the washing machine, or just by wiping it clean. I even hosed it down once after a walk on a very dusty trail. :) I can't comment on how well the Waltz would hold up to that kind of consistent outdoor use.

Anyway, sounds like you definitely need to decide on how you'll be using the stroller. If you really will be "off the beaten path" a few times a month the City Mini might be a better choice. But if going on trails is an occasional thing, I think the Waltz looks like a really nice option! Plus you could take the money you save on buying accessories and get a nice backpack carrier for those walks on dusty trails! :)

ijopint
03-23-2011, 07:34 PM
I had a Zooper Waltz before and returned it (due to an impulse shopping spree). I do have a stroller regret on this stroller now b/c compare with other strollers,Waltz comes with all the accessories you needed for a stroller.. the canopy is amazing with mesh and peek a boo window, comes with a bumper bar, child's tray and a cupholder for parent, push is pretty good and the basket is a nice size as well.

Edensmum
03-23-2011, 11:01 PM
I got to try out the Waltz today and for me, it wins hands down over the BJCM. The totally upright seat and awesome canopy with a bar or snack tray option is really great. Ds seems comfy and the fabric is really nice. I got the green and it has a pattern in the solid color, some swirls and shamrocks! The push is nice but it creeks a good bit and I'm hoping that will stop with a little use. I will also say that on this stroller the seat recline does not work. I got it to work once but pulling the lever up does nothing aside from the one time it worked and I will call Zooper tomorrow and ask if they want it sent back to amazon or if they want it. I will order the same one in the same color again, or exchange it for the same stroller.
This seems like a great and easy everyday stroller and seems much lighter than the 20lbs it claims to be my joovy ultralite should only be a pound more or so and this one is much easier to handle rolling and lifting.
The waltz would be a better stroller from birth. It looks like the bottom fold up and zips to form a bassinet type area for babe with the the canopy completely encloses the stroller in fabric or opens to mesh in the back to let air through. That it will protect babe if it's sunny or windy or wet is a great idea. I wish I had this earlier, dh takes ds for nap walks and this would have been so much better. Also not have to keep a rain shield with you and being able to just cover the stroller by pushing open the hood is really convenient. I love acessories but I don't want to have to drag a rain cover along. It's compact with a nice small wheel base and will go in tight spaces easily. Anyway, I'd totally get the Waltz and I did.