PDA

View Full Version : quick i just received a notice that i was my name was drawn as the weekly winner on a

chozen
03-22-2011, 11:12 AM
amazon i can win either a $1000 gift card for amazon or an ipod, is this legit?

vonfirmath
03-22-2011, 11:21 AM
Who does it say it was from?

Did you enter a drawing?

smiles33
03-22-2011, 11:22 AM
Probably is a scam. Who is the sponsor of the contest? What do they want you to do? Did you submit your name to any contest?

WolfpackMom
03-22-2011, 11:22 AM
I highly doubt it.

chozen
03-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Probably is a scam. Who is the sponsor of the contest? What do they want you to do? Did you submit your name to any contest?

no i didnt submit my name and it came up when i went into amazon to order something.

wendibird22
03-22-2011, 11:25 AM
Is it asking you to go to a website and enter any information?

kristenk
03-22-2011, 11:30 AM
That's weird that it came up when you went to the amazon website. I thought it was probably an email.

chozen
03-22-2011, 11:31 AM
Is it asking you to go to a website and enter any information?

i had to take a short quiz? and then it ask me to accept some long terms that is when i stopped and decided to post here.

kristenk
03-22-2011, 11:32 AM
It really doesn't sound legit to me. :(

WolfpackMom
03-22-2011, 11:32 AM
Did it come up like a popup or on the Amazon site?

chozen
03-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Did it come up like a popup or on the Amazon site?

it came up on there site, just as i was entering there site.

kep
03-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Can you call Amazon?

infocrazy
03-22-2011, 11:49 AM
ask me to accept some long terms

I'd try calling Amazon customer service. Like buy a magazine, open a credit card type thing? To me there are lots of red flags.

Plus $1000 or an Ipod? Aren't Ipods around $200-300? That makes it seem off to me since the options are so unequal. I would think that if Amazon was doing this it would be well publicized on their site... Are you buying from a third party that is running this contest?

ThreeofUs
03-22-2011, 11:50 AM
i had to take a short quiz? and then it ask me to accept some long terms that is when i stopped and decided to post here.

Amazon's Chat is a really great way to get customer service. I'd ask them.

chozen
03-22-2011, 11:52 AM
I'd try calling Amazon customer service. Like buy a magazine, open a credit card type thing? To me there are lots of red flags.

Plus $1000 or an Ipod? Aren't Ipods around $200-300? That makes it seem off to me since the options are so unequal. I would think that if Amazon was doing this it would be well publicized on their site... Are you buying from a third party that is running this contest?

i cannot find a phone# on amazons website .

chozen
03-22-2011, 11:56 AM
when i hit the bar for there main website the same thing happened again, this time i was able to read the first page and it does say that they are not affiliated with amazon so yes its a scam. thank you

arivecchi
03-22-2011, 12:01 PM
I would suggest you run anti-virus software on your computer pronto.

chozen
03-22-2011, 12:15 PM
it does it every time i type amazon in and then hit the link that says its there official site (the link on the very top) are one of you brave enough to try it and see if the same thing happens.

crispychicky
03-22-2011, 12:26 PM
it does it every time i type amazon in and then hit the link that says its there official site (the link on the very top) are one of you brave enough to try it and see if the same thing happens.

I just tried it and nothing.

Run your antivirus NOW!

Melaine
03-22-2011, 12:27 PM
I am not getting any similar message when googling Amazon or going directly to Amazon.com. I feel sure it's not legit, but it does seem weird that it would pull up like that. Scams/viruses get sneakier and sneakier though.

chozen
03-22-2011, 12:30 PM
I just tried it and nothing.

Run your antivirus NOW!

i dont know how.

SnuggleBuggles
03-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Does your dh know? My computer got a virus and it started off not too noticeable and by the end it was doing crap like your computer is doing. Stop using it and get it fixed. If you don't know how, find someone who does. It sounds quite corrupted.

Beth

arivecchi
03-22-2011, 12:40 PM
i dont know how.
Do you have anti-virus software on your PC? We have Norton anti-virus software on ours. There are some free programs too but we like Norton the best so we pay for that one. You can download it.

arivecchi
03-22-2011, 12:42 PM
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372364,00.asp#

chozen
03-22-2011, 12:43 PM
Do you have anti-virus software on your PC? We have Norton anti-virus software on ours. There are some free programs too but we like Norton the best so we pay for that one. You can download it.

i know we have built in anti-virus protection but im not sure what it is. my hubby will deal with it. thank you for your help.

SnuggleBuggles
03-22-2011, 12:46 PM
You can usually download it but when my computer was infected, every time we tried to go to a legit anti-virus company, like Norton, the computer would jump to a spam site. Same thing if you even tried to look it up on Wikipedia. It was terrible! Since OP has something installed (we didn't) it should be ok.

Beth

arivecchi
03-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Same thing happened to us Beth. It took quite some time but we were finally able to install the Norton program. The free software would not work at all.

KrisM
03-22-2011, 01:23 PM
Amazon's CS number: 1-866-216-1072

ThreeofUs
03-22-2011, 01:25 PM
EEK. If you don't know how to run an a/v and clean out your machine (bc someone has redirected your computer from what you type to their site), off the computer, and wait for DH to come home.

Wow. Good for you for not clicking "accept"!

newnana
03-22-2011, 01:50 PM
If you are going to wait for DH to come home, turn the PC off. Don't put it on standby or lock it, turn it off.

If you are going to do anything yourself, download Avast!
from a reputable site like cnet downloads. it is free and fantastic.

i don't care for Norton. Case in point, you already got the virus with Norton supposedly running on it.

arivecchi
03-22-2011, 02:13 PM
Case in point, you already got the virus with Norton supposedly running on it.Where did OP say that? I just re-read the thread and did not see that anywhere.

Totally OT, but we have had a great experience with Norton. It was the only program we could load when we got a really nasty virus. My brother who is a PC geek kept suggesting free programs and they would not even load.

OP, running the antivirus software is pretty easy. Maybe call your DH and ask him what the program is called and run it.

Good luck.

chozen
03-22-2011, 02:21 PM
i did figure it out and ran it right away, we have mal-ware. it took an hour or so to run and it said no viruses found. thank you all for your help!

ThreeofUs
03-22-2011, 02:36 PM
i did figure it out and ran it right away, we have mal-ware. it took an hour or so to run and it said no viruses found. thank you all for your help!

Yeah, this probably isn't a virus. This is someone who's got something watching your web browsing and sending you somewhere else.

Try this (if you have time, lol): Shut down your machine and unplug the internet connection for a few minutes, then bring up without your internet connection. Clear all the cookies from your internet browser. Shut down again. Power on both your computer and internet connection. Test to see if you're still redirected. There's a possibility this might clear out the problem.

arivecchi
03-22-2011, 02:49 PM
I thought malware protection programs also detected computer intrusions/tracing of cookies, etc.? Is that not the case?

chozen
03-22-2011, 02:58 PM
I thought malware protection programs also detected computer intrusions/tracing of cookies, etc.? Is that not the case?

i don't know. i will ask my husband about that later.

newnana
03-22-2011, 03:01 PM
Where did OP say that? I just re-read the thread and did not see that anywhere.

Sorry about that, was reading the thread quickly while trying to do something else and thought that I read she did.

Glad mal-ware didn't find anything!

vonfirmath
03-22-2011, 03:04 PM

Malwarebytes

I have found the virus looking stuff I ran into was ALL Malware and malwarebytes would clean it without paying (Everything else I found would tell you "Yep you got malware" then expect to be paid before cleaning it). After being hit twice, I paid a license fee and now I update my program every week and don't get bothered by this stuff anymore. DEFINITELY worth the money.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

vonfirmath
03-22-2011, 03:05 PM

Malware protection programs do.
Antivirus do not.

arivecchi
03-22-2011, 03:06 PM
Malware protection programs do.
Antivirus do not.Thanks. I think we must have a suite of software protection programs because it detects tracing of cookies etc. but I guess I should double check!

chozen
03-22-2011, 03:18 PM
Malwarebytes

I have found the virus looking stuff I ran into was ALL Malware and malwarebytes would clean it without paying (Everything else I found would tell you "Yep you got malware" then expect to be paid before cleaning it). After being hit twice, I paid a license fee and now I update my program every week and don't get bothered by this stuff anymore. DEFINITELY worth the money.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

so is malwarebytes-anti malware good against viruses and intrusions?

ThreeofUs
03-22-2011, 04:07 PM
so is malwarebytes-anti malware good against viruses and intrusions?

Yes, generally speaking, it will take care of just about anything on your machine that is suspect.

Here is the cnet site where they go through all the spyware removers and explain them a little: http://download.cnet.com/windows/spyware-removers/?tag=bc

Take a look; there are some great suggestions on there.